Android Tablets Forum banner

Hacking suggestions for black PDN owners (somewhat technical)

5K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Mark Adams 
#1 ·
I do not have a black PDN, so these are just suggestions which, tmk, are untested.1) Patch to the latest firmware. As far as we know, ADB access might be enabled in this new firmware (at least it seems to be, as per the init.rc). So that in itself might be the fix. Also, you'd want to test the firmware update anyway, as that would be your backout plan while doing any hacks. If you can get ADB access, then try the old volume hack to see if that works + an alternate launcher.2) Alter the "root.tgz" in the firmware file to use as a way to get an alternate launcher added, via a firmware update. I'm thinking that you could alter /system to add the vanilla launcher, or alter /data to add a third-party one. That's assuming Pandigital isn't checking md5sums, but you might be able to alter that as well. You'd also need to figure out how to re-zip it properly. In Ubuntu, I see the following:
Code:
file polaris_update.datpolaris_update.dat: POSIX tar archive (GNU)file polaris_update.dat.gzpolaris_update.dat.gz: gzip compressed data, from Unix, last modified: Sun Aug 22 21:51:43 2010
Lastly, keep in mind that this is Android 1.5, so you'd need a launcher that supports it. Good luck!

Discussion starter · #16 ·
I actually purchased a black Novel two days ago, as curiosity got the better of me. I managed to get ADB access over WiFi this morning, using clockworx's excellent suggestion. But I haven't been able to change the launcher (yet). KB hack doesn't seem to work, either - might be using different keys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.