Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi. This is going to be a long post and I apologize for that but I want to be as precise as I can and hope to avoid not supplying enough info or confusing anything.Just purchased the Novel yesterday, July 16, and brought it home, charged it up, and played around with it a little. It is the white one from BBY. Seemed pretty good to me but I wanted to do the hack that Nate has posted on his blog so that I could install apps. Ran into problems immediately.First things first. Desktop uses WinXP Pro, svc pack 3. Novel has firmware S10_07_05B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POPFrom the beginning I'm a little confused by Nate's instructions. He starts off by writing, "What You Need." He lists "the ability to use the command line to enter instructions on your computer," as if this is going to be required. But later in the instructions he never uses the command line. He writes about "clicking" the "Install Volume Buttons Hack" file, etc.. So where does the command line requirement come in?Anyway, I installed everything thru the windows UI. Connected the Novel via USB and the "Found New Hardware" box came up on the desktop. I pointed it to the unzipped file I got from Nate's blogsite and it apparently found and installed the driver. I double clicked the "Install Volume Buttons Hack" and "Install Panda Home" and "reboot.bat" files per instructions. Next thing that happened was that the Novel rebooted but the same PD Home screen appeared (no Panda Home). Then a popup appeared on the Novel screen that said "USB Device connected. Device will be inoperable for the duration of the connection." Novel was locked down. ??? I tried using the "disconnect device" wizard thing from the desktop before unplugging the USB cable but Windows refused, saying that the device was still being accessed by another program. It said that for a looong time. Finally just unplugged it.Figured I had messed up so I went into Settings on the Novel and reset defaults and deleted the driver from the desktop. Plugged it back into the desktop to try again but this time Windows couldn't even find the device. Unplugged the Novel, rebooted the desktop and plugged the Novel back in. Windows "Found New Hardware" box appeard and I tried again. Same results as before. ???Reset defaults on the Novel. Novel froze up. Reset with the reset button on the top of the device. Rebooted and the Novel seemed back to normal but for some reason I decided to try the volume buttons. Started the music player and played the preload song that Novel comes with. Side volume buttons do not control volume so the "Install Volume Buttons" hack must have worked and was not undone when I reset defaults. The top one brought up the keyboard with the first push and removed it with the second push. The bottom button stopped the music player and returned the screen to the PD home page.I reset defaults again. I guess I thought it might undo the volume button hack. Didn't work but what it did do was screw up the email program. Now when the Novel boots I get a notice that says, "Sorry. The application Email (process com.android.emal) has stopped unexpectedly. Pleas try again." There's a "Force close" button that I have to click on before it will finish booting to the home page.Wi-fi works fine. Connected to my network and surfed several sites to be sure. But e-mail won't work. Every time I click the e-mail button in the application quick launch bar that same notice comes up. ???Any suggestions GREATLY appreciated. What am I doing wrong? E-mail is very important to me. I would like to hack this thing so I can install other apps. Gary

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I have the same firmware as you, FYI. When I ran this hack, I did not get the "success" message for either the Volume hack or Panda Home. So, what I did was wait 4-5 minutes for each before closing out the batch job. Then, I rebooted the device, crossed my fingers and the new launcher came up.It sounds like you are stuck halfway there - if it were me, I would try to complete it. Or, worst case scenario, maybe a re-flash to the OF will get you back to the original state (I think there are links around here for the firmware).

·
Registered
666 Posts
when i installed the volume button hack i did not do it from a command line, i ran the .bat file in windows. The results went by too fast to read but it worked. Also my Novel rebooted itself immediately after. When it loaded up the hack worked fine, I was then able to install the pandahome.apk. Did your Novel reboot after the volume patch.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
[quote name='nchntrman;19508]when i installed the volume button hack i did not do it from a command line' date=' i ran the .bat file in windows. The results went by too fast to read but it worked. Also my Novel rebooted itself immediately after. When it loaded up the hack worked fine, I was then able to install the pandahome.apk. Did your Novel reboot after the volume patch.[/QUOTE'] I don't think it did. If I recall correctly, I had to manually reboot it myself (ie using "adb reboot"). Those batch files didn't fly by for me, they basically sat there for many minutes until i stopped them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote name='nchntrman;19508]when i installed the volume button hack i did not do it from a command line' date=' i ran the .bat files in windows. The results went by too fast to read but it worked. My Novel rebooted itself after I clicked the "reboot.bat file. When it loaded up the hack worked fine, I was then able to install the pandahome.apk. Did your Novel reboot after the volume patch.[/QUOTE']I ran everything from the .bat file, too. A command prompt window opened up, stuff happened, and the command prompt window closed. All to fast to really read but, for the volume button hack, at least, I had time to see "successful" several times. On the panda homepage hack the command prompt actually stopped and asked me to "hit any key" to continue. When I did stuff happened and the box closed so fast I had no time to read anything.I did not reboot anything between installs as the instructions did not mention doing so. The Novel did not reboot itself between installs, either, only at the very end when I clicked on the "reboot.bat" file. That's different, too. Step 4 of the instructions say to click the "Reboot the Novel" file but I don't have anything named that. I assumed it meant the "reboot.bat" file. Am I wrong?I did not use any of the .apk files. Is that wrong? And as far as the volume button hack goes I'm wondering if it actuall installed correctly. The instructions say it should make the buttons "Menu" and "Back" but mine are now "Keyboard" and "Back". Something screwy there.I guess I'll try what roebeet suggested and reflash the firmware and start over. The only firmware onsite is older than the one I have (7-4-10 vs 7-5-10) but I don't think that will make a difference. Am I correct in that thinking?Thanks for the responses. I'll check back later to give a progress report and see what anyone else might have suggested. Right now I have to get out and do some yardwork before the wife skins me.Gary

·
Registered
7 Posts
@ Garstan - I also bought mine yesterday and it also has the same firmware as yours. I was able to hack mine.My vista machine wasn't able to do the hack for some reasonI also installed the .bin files from windows and they do go by really quickly.. I had to just hope that the "success" was there. The install of Pandahome was weird because the .bin ran quickly but my computers' hard drive activity light ran for a few minutes after. I waited it out. I think this is where you unplugged yours.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
There's a typo in the buttons hack uninstaller that I never went back to correct. You can open the file in notepad and replace the text with this to remove the volume button hack.
adb remountadb push gpio-keys.kl.orig /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kladb shell chmod 777 /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kladb shell chown system.system /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kladb shell reboot

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
are you sure the adb bridge is working properly? From the command line, type adb devicesdoes it tell you the Pandigital Novel is there?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Alright, I think everyone here is missing the point.Here are my suggestions.1. Do the Hack again. (minus the volume button hack as that appears to be working)2. We all get this message on the PDN when it is plugged into the computer: "USB Device connected. Device will be inoperable for the duration of the connection." It is not "LOCKED DOWN".3. Ignore Windows (mine NEVER gives me the "SAFE TO REMOVE" message when trying to disconnect the PDN.) Just unplug it when you are done. I'd give it 10 seconds though as it might still be on the last operation.4. Not sure why PandaHome did not "install". Try it again with the other HOMES (LauncherPro; ADW Launcher; OpenHome). Get the apk's and install from the command line (as there is no BAT file to install with).- Process:---download apk's into the same folder as Nate's zip files (I used C:NovelHack)---Launch command prompt (START > PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > COMMAND PROMPT)---do the following command to change the directory: cd <drive>:<nate's directory> (mine: cd c:NovelHack)---once in the directory, do the following command:dir /w (this will list all the files in the directoryadp install <apk filename>.apk (it has to be exact)Just X out of the command window when you are done.Reboot to install the files (I used Nate's REBOOT.BAT the first time)Unplug the PDN from the computer.Watch the PDN as it boots. First dialog box to pop up will be which HOME screen do you want.PandaLauncherProetc...---

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to everyone that responded. I reflashed the unit with the 7-4-2010 firmware and tried this hack again. SUCCESS. I waited a longish time between steps this time and everything seems to be working okay.The e-mail program error message is gone and I get to chose Panda if I want. Now to start selecting apps. Thanks to all, again.Gary

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.