Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm new to the Forum and ordered my apad (rockchip with cam, v2)as such I really want to update the firmware to get rid of all the Chinese stuff. However when anybody asks for a noobs guide they seem to always get pointedto the same thread which isn't noob friendly at all.. "Ya just have to root this or flash that"for example. Now I'm no idiot but I have never done this before and don't really wantto brick the apad on the first day I get it either!So if someone could do a nice simple how to / step-by-step on how to update the firmwarethat would be great. If you can't be arsed that's fine too I just thought I would ask.Cheers ;-)

·
Registered
41 Posts
(Thanks to Willow for the initial instructions that I have expanded on)Please note before you start, that I tried this on a Windows 7 and also Vista pc and it failed to install the drivers. It also failed at the install point on an old XP machine that only had usb 1.0 ports. So you will need Windows XP with usb 2.0. ( also remember what your 'Settings' icon in android looks like, you will need this later)1a. Download the custom firmware. I used Willows at http://slatedroid.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=29 1b. Extract custom firmware (it's a zip file, so unzip it)2a. Power off Apad, by holding the front button for three seconds till the shutdown screen pops up. Select shut down (it might say power down). 2b. Wait for shutdown to complete. Switching the toggle switch too off, then put it back to the on position.3. While the device is still off, hold down the menu key (it's the left side of the button on the top if your holding it landscape) and plug the device into your computer via the lower usb port (again, if your holding it landscape) you will keep holding it till 4c4a. keep a hold on the menu button, Windows will ask you for drivers for this unknown usb device4b. Navigate it too the rk28usb-new folder in the update you unzipped earlier, this should install the device drivers.4c. once Windows recognizes the device, you can release the menu key.5. run RKandroidDM.exe found in the RKAndroidTool folder of the folder you unzipped. It should say Device found! (if it does not, repeat steps 3 and 4c6 click on the box next too the "New firmware Information" box and browse to the folder you unzipped, into the 'rockdev' folder and into the 'Image' folder there, you should find 'update' file.7. click the 'update' button and wait. It will take about 5 minutes to flash the new rom onto your device, once done a message on windows xp will indicate success, and your aPad will automatically start to boot to the new firmware, You can unplug the usb cable at this time. The initial boot takes much longer than usual (about 8 minutes) so just be patient.8. It will prompt you to calibrate the screen, do so.9. Everything will be in Chinese, so go to 'Settings' and scroll down to the 7th item in the list and click on it, then click on the first iten in that window, next select English. Now install whatever apps you want on your Android.

·
Registered
18 Posts
And what if the final reboot process does stop suddenly and the device keeps on being off despite all attempts to bring it alive?And when you try again to update firmware Windows does recognise the device correctly, the program does perform updating procedure almost to the end when eventually says... ERROR in red colour writing???IF IT IS A SO DELICATE PROCEDURE SHOULDN'T IT BE STATED ATE BEGINNING OF THE PROCEDURE?IS IT OR IS IT A DEFECT OF MY DEVICE?

·
Registered
41 Posts
@ale.f76First of all my condolences. Any of us can understand what your going through. (you might want to stop reading right there). However, you cant say that you didn't know there would be risk involved with installing firmware from a bunch of strangers on the internet who have no affiliation with the manufacturer of the devise. These devises function properly with the firmware that came with them. No one in this forum told you that it was manditory for the enjoyment of your device to update you firmware. I and everyone else know that when your doing shit like this, your taking the life of your apad/irobot into your own hands. NOW THAT I HAVE RANTED IN RESPONCE TO YOUR ACCUSATORY TONED YELLING, contact the person who sold you the device, tell them that "something" has happened to your device and ask them to send you a copy of the original firmware, (and if you use the word "original" in your request [indicating that you were trying something else], well then your a moron) they probably wont have it, but they can ask their supplier. As to why this 'HACK' firmware did not work for you, are you sure you have the same device as everyone else, does it have the rockchip cpu? if not, than this firmware will not work.Love and kisses,Mike

·
Registered
164 Posts
[quote author=ale.f76 link=topic=601.msg4990#msg4990 date=1275657901]And what if the final reboot process does stop suddenly and the device keeps on being off despite all attempts to bring it alive?And when you try again to update firmware Windows does recognise the device correctly, the program does perform updating procedure almost to the end when eventually says... ERROR in red colour writing???IF IT IS A SO DELICATE PROCEDURE SHOULDN'T IT BE STATED ATE BEGINNING OF THE PROCEDURE?IS IT OR IS IT A DEFECT OF MY DEVICE?[/quote]if you have used my or ECOTOX's firmware, there is zero chance youve bricked your device.Format your SD, reflash, that simple.and he's asking for an update guide for the APAD, ill have a video guide up in the next few days, you may want too hold fire till then.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Reading his thread it seems like his update did not complete 100% and was interrupted for some reason before it could finish. This could leave the device in a state where it will not accept another update.Your best bet is to send it back and get a replacement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that guys, much appreciated!Is it worth doing? I know the risk but what is the reward?Does it run any faster? Is the main thing getting rid of the Chineseapp icons?I'm due to get my apad in about 10 days and wondering if it's worth medoing or should I wait for the "Rockchip 2.1 Upgrade" (if it's actually in the pipeline).Seriously though thanks for the help.;-)

·
Registered
18 Posts
[quote author=Mikeami link=topic=601.msg5003#msg5003 date=1275660511]@ale.f76First of all my condolences. Any of us can understand what your going through. (you might want to stop reading right there). However, you cant say that you didn't know there would be risk involved with installing firmware from a bunch of strangers on the internet who have no affiliation with the manufacturer of the devise. These devises function properly with the firmware that came with them. No one in this forum told you that it was manditory for the enjoyment of your device to update you firmware. I and everyone else know that when your doing shit like this, your taking the life of your apad/irobot into your own hands. NOW THAT I HAVE RANTED IN RESPONCE TO YOUR ACCUSATORY TONED YELLING, contact the person who sold you the device, tell them that "something" has happened to your device and ask them to send you a copy of the original firmware, (and if you use the word "original" in your request [indicating that you were trying something else], well then your a moron) they probably wont have it, but they can ask their supplier. As to why this 'HACK' firmware did not work for you, are you sure you have the same device as everyone else, does it have the rockchip cpu? if not, than this firmware will not work.Love and kisses,Mike[/quote]Hey guys thanks!I didn't want to accuse you of anything: I'm sure your firmware are great... It's just bec I had written three or four posts but did not attract your attention... :)Anyway, I am waiting for another device which is going to be replaced in a few days... what I was wondering is... since I suppose the device got bricked because an unlucky procedure not carried our 100%.. is it worth trying to update the new unit? What if I send some pics of the unit to confirm which version/model I have?What I basically would like to do is... getting rid of all Chinese icons.thx

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've just recieved my apad. I've read almost all the thread but i'm still not sure if I have the latest FW or should i do the 0530 updateUnder About:Model Number: sdkDemoFirmware version: 1.5Kernel version: 2.6.25 rockchip version 1.2.7 (ruiguan)Mine comes with 4GB internal flash. Appreciate any advise.Matt

·
Registered
12 Posts
[quote name='macsoft;14311]Hi' date=' i'm new to the Forum. Some links, including the firmware ones are dead.Where can I download the latest one, and what is the best intructions to flash it?Thank you[/QUOTE'] in the baby blue bar across the top there is a button labeled "downloads", they are in there

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guysI have the iRobot apad model without camera. Can I use hiapads update safetly?The thing is, my apad has just stoped working after installing some task killer apps (I turn on the apad, takes its time to load, and when its supposed to show the menu after finished loading, it turns off. Always the same!- Be careful with what app you install from market)I?ve talked with the seller that talked with the manufacturer and he says he is going to send a firmware that is supposed to load from a microSD card.While that happens, do you guys recommend me to try to update with the RKAndroid DM v1.2 from hiapad or to wait? Thank you

·
Registered
254 Posts
OK, I've followed instructions to a tee. I've tried 3 different computers (2 XP, one Vista, all 32 bit) - below is true for all.The update app (RKAndroidDM 1.2) recognises the pad, but pretty soon after starting the update process (within 30 sec) it stops with Writing ID_BLOCK failed, please replug deviceOK, I do so and try once again. On second try, the update doesn't stop until after many minutes - like 20-40 - on "Updating System Information" When I check the log, it just contains
Code:
INFO:Test device [URL=startINFO:Writing]startINFO:Writing[/URL] ID_Block startFlash chip [URL=info:NO]info:NO[/URL]		SIZE(MB)	Manufacturer----------------------------------------------0		2048MB	[URL=SAMSUNG----------------------------------------------INFO:start]SAMSUNG----------------------------------------------INFO:start[/URL] to build flash state mapINFO: start to find all ID BLOCKINFO: start to update ID [URL=BLOCKERROR:ReadMultiSector]BLOCKERROR:ReadMultiSector[/URL] failed,ErrCode(-2)ERROR:UpdateIDBData [URL=failedERROR:Writing]failedERROR:Writing[/URL] ID_BLOCK failed,ErrCode(-23)
When I reboot the pad, it's as it has always been, just as it was before trying the update.I'm usually by no means incompetent with gadgets in general, and Android/Linux in particular, but this has me stumped.Ideas, folks?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts