Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hannspad Rooting Guide (v2 August 4th 2011)

DO NOT INSTALL ANY "OVER THE AIR" UPDATES TO THE STOCK ROM AFTER INSTALLING CLOCKWORK MOD - THEY WILL NOT WORK!

This guide assumes you have a fully stock Hannspad.

Easy Way
Download these 2 files:
http://blair.be/hannspad/recovery.rar
http://blair.be/hannspad/RootedHannspadStock.zip

1. Plug your tablet into usb, plugging the power adapter in would be a good idea as well.
2. Enable usb file transfer
3. Extract recovery.rar and you'll find an update.zip file. Copy this zip to the root of the tablet's storage, as well as RootedHannspadStock.zip
4. Power off the device
5. Hold the VOLUME + button in and press and hold the power button. It should say "Recovery key detected" and "Booting recovery kernel image"
6. Now in the recovery screen, select "Apply internal update.zip" using the volume keys to move and the power button to make the selection
7. Your tablet should reboot, you'll need to hold the power button in until it turns off again, wait a few seconds and reboot into recovery mode as described above. It should be different now, as it's ClockWorkMod Recovery (CWM)
8. Again, use the volume keys to move up and down, go to "Install zip from sdcard" and this time press the home key to make a selection.
9. Next, select "Choose zip from sdcard"
10. Scroll down to RootedHannspadStock.zip and select it - it will ask you to confirm, scroll down and press yes.

That's it, your tablet is now rooted!

Hard Way

First step is to install the CWM recovery image (modified by roebeet).

Download it here: http://blair.be/hannspad/recovery.rar

Plug the tablets USB into your computer, I recommend plugging the power cord in as well. If that's not possible make sure it's fully charged.

1. In the tablet, enable usb file transfer.
2. Extract the recovery archive you downloaded above, and put the update.zip file in the root of the tablets usb storage.
3. Power off the tablet, and reboot it holding in the VOLUME + key at the same time as the power button. It should say recovery key detected and boot into recovery.
4. After the recovery menu loads, press VOLUME - to highlight "Apply Internal update.zip" and press the power button briefly. It should take about 10 seconds to install, the tablet will reboot after it's complete.
5. Hold the power button in for around 10 seconds until the tablet turns off, then start it again in recovery mode (detailed above).
6. Use the volume keys to highlight "backup and restore", press the home soft-touch key to select it.
7. Ensure the "Backup" option is highlighted and press the home key again. It should start to back up the entire tablet to the internal storage of the tablet. This will take a few minutes.
8. You can now reboot the tablet by pressing the home key on the "reboot system now" option.
9. You're done!

Step 2
Rooting
USB driver files: http://blair.be/hannspad/usb_driver.rar

Note for this method you will need adb installed and working. There are numerous guides out there for this, please search google.

If you have problems getting adb running you likely had the same issue as me, and windows had installed default drivers for the tablet without asking. See here for how to fix it: http://developer.nvidia.com/tegra/forum/after-installing-froyo-adb-cant-see-device

Download the latest version of SuperOneClick root here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682
Note that it can set off some anti-virus programs, it is perfectly safe though.

If you're running Vista/Windows 7 make sure to run it as administrator.

1. Enable usb debugging on the tablet (Settings/Applications/Development -> USB debugging). It's probably a good idea to check "Stay awake" as well.
2. Extract the SuperOneClick zip to a folder anywhere on your pc.
3. Run SuperOneClick.exe
4. Click the big "Root" button at the top left, let it work.
5. It'll ask you if you want to install busybox, click yes.
6. It'll ask you if you want to test the root, click yes
7. If successful it'll tell you
8. Reboot the tablet. (this is extremely important)

Market + Google Apps

This will show you how to install all the normal Google software to your tablet, enabling the full market and Gmail app among other things.

1. Download the Google files here: http://oron.com/2ga4n9n52r22/googleapps.rar.html
2. Extract them to a folder called "google".
3. Enable usb file transfer on the tablet, and copy the directory across. Safely remove the device when done and disable usb file transfer, but leave the usb cable plugged in.
4. Browse to the Android SDK directory on your pc, and go into the "platform-tools" directory.
5. Shift+Right click anywhere in the folder and select "Open command prompt here"
6. Type the following;

Code:
<br />
adb shell<br />
su<br />
Note that it'll ask for superuser permissions on the tablet, it's important you confirm this.
Note also that this may be a limited version of the market due to issues in the rom
Mount the /system directory as read/write:

Code:
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
Now, you would usually just mass copy all these over in one command, however this will lead to "out of memory" errors and won't work, so the slow way it is.

Code:
cd /sdcard/google/app<br />
cp * /system/app/<br />
cd /sdcard/google/etc/permissions<br />
cp * /system/etc/permissions/<br />
cd /sdcard/google/framework<br />
cp * /system/framework/<br />
cd /sdcard/google/lib<br />
cp * /system/lib/<br />
exit<br />
exit
7. Close the command prompt
8. You might need to reboot your tablet here

Have wifi running and connected before you run SetupWizard on the home screen and input your details, otherwise you might not be able to set up a wifi connection with it running.

Optional
Replace settings screen with standard Android settings
Credit for the files goes to copritch of XDA forums.

I don't recommend replacing the stock settings files unless you really need to, as it can cause the tablet not to boot properly. If you want to use this method to use a different keyboard, i recommend removing the custom settings files after you're done and reusing the one's the we will back up in the guide to prevent any bootloop issues.

Download this: http://blair.be/hannspad/settings.rar

This assumes you've rebooted your device after installing the apps above.

1. Connect tablet to PC via usb
2. Extract the settings.rar file to your tablets usb storage
3. Start a command prompt as done for the Google apps
4. Type the following

Code:
adb shell<br />
su<br />
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system<br />
cd /system/app<br />
mv Settings.apk Settings.bak<br />
mv SettingsProvider.apk SettingsProvider.bak<br />
cp /sdcard/settings/Settings.apk /system/app/Settings.apk<br />
cp /sdcard/settings/SettingsProvider.apk /system/app/SettingsProvider.apk<br />
exit<br />
exit

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'd say the hardest part is setting up ADB to communicate with the hannspree, as soon as thats done your pretty much there. If you go for the TnT lite ROM you wont have to deal with using the ADB commands but superoneclick will need ADB setup correctly to work. Everthing else is done buy placing .zips on the hannspree storage and running them through the recovery program. If I can do it you can.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Quicker way to root is using z4root.

Just download it, enable USB Debugging in the setting, click on Permanent Root in the app and you´re done.
So you don´t need a PC to get root.
And a Busybox installer can be downloaded as .apk too ^^

And yes it was really annoying to get adb to connect to the hannspad, that stupid nvidia guide was not much of help,
as Windows 7 always automatically reinstalled the wrong driver again, when plugging in the tablet -.-

But once it works it is good

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, Complete novice sorry, have rooted using z4root per Nosferatu Alucard method above but this is all I've done. now what would I do to get market and google apps working?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi, Complete novice sorry, have rooted using z4root per Nosferatu Alucard method above but this is all I've done. now what would I do to get market and google apps working?
You need to do step 1 above to load the custom recovery software. Then the easiest way would be to download Alpha232's TnT lite zip from the other thread and place it on your hannspree. You can then use the custom recovery to flash the zip. Alpha's TnT lite Rom has the market as default.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you want to keep the normal firmware, now you have to download a Busybox Installer, for example:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.jrummy.busybox.installer&feature=search_result

After you have installed busybox you can follow step 3 (Market and Google apps) of alpha232s guide at the top of this thread.

But I would recommend you to do Step 1 (CWM recovery) first if you have not done it, as CWM is very helpful if screw something on your tablet ^^

·
Registered
38 Posts
After you have installed busybox you can follow step 3 (Market and Google apps) of alpha232s guide at the top of this thread.
Not if he hasn't got ADB working, I didn't find setting up ADB easy at all thanks to windows 7 insisting on installing the wrong drivers all the time. But you're right, that is the only way to keep the standard fw unless somebody uploads a version of the standard firmware with the market apps included (which would be nice :) )

·
Registered
15 Posts
OK seems I've probably tried to run before I walk then. ADB is not working for me I don't think but not having experience of it I am not sure what I am looking at. perhaps I'm better off waiting and seeing if you have any luck on the stock ROM with AM included. in the meantime since rooting it I seem to have lost home button functionality - can I get it back?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would be very eager to proceed with this complete guide, however...

When i try to install the driver to get my device to work with ADB i have 2 problems

Problem 1)

When i try to install all updates and add-ons to the SDK manager, i get "(Access is Denied)" for each download...

Problem 2)

My computer doesn't seem to understand the command "adb" in CMD.

Any help please?

Regards,

JASHERS.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Don´t know about Problem 1, but Problem 2 sounds like you have not added the Android SDK to your Computers PATH variable...

My Computer->Property->Advanced->Environment Variables->Edit Path Variable and add ";X:\'Your Android SDK directory'\tools" into the Path Variables.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wtf, i followed the guide exactly, i was on step one and i got to the install part and it all worked fine but then when it rebooted it was stuck on the Tap'n Tap logo. So i waited a bit and nothing happend so i figured it was meant to happen. So then i moved on and done the backup part it said done but when it rebooted the same thing happend. I waited again and restarted it again but the same Tap'n tap logo comes us.

What happened? and how do i get it back to how it was before. I would appreciate some help please.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. I was wondering if somebody might be able to confirm if doing the process above means:
- The Hannspad will function like any other Hannspad out of the box but will have google apps and the market?
- By this I mean that there won't be any adverse impact on functionality at all such as volume buttons, axis, light sensor or software etc?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi. I was wondering if somebody might be able to confirm if doing the process above means:
- The Hannspad will function like any other Hannspad out of the box but will have google apps and the market?
- By this I mean that there won't be any adverse impact on functionality at all such as volume buttons, axis, light sensor or software etc?

Many thanks.
Yes exactly.

Except for the change of the settings page. Which will as the name tells you replace the TnT settings screen with the normal Android one

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there,

I received my hannspad today, and I have successfully managed to root it as explained in stage 2, but now I have hit a problem with the cmd when entering 'adb shell su'... it just replies saying 'error: device offline'

Any ideas?

Thanks
Pete

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey guys,

i've rooted the tab and installed the google aps...
i start the market and choose a game, for example angry birds rio..click to download..it says, that the download will be started..but nothing happens...
can you help me where is my problem??

thanks
krefti

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Guys,

Im attempting to do step 3 right now, but when i get to the "ADB Shell" stage, the SU command just brings me "Permissions Denied", and there is no sign of any request on the tab itself. As far as im aware, i have ADB running correctly...

Any help?

***UPDATE***

I got past this with some effort... however, i am now stuck with another predicement;

Mount the /system directory as read/write:

mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

Now, you would usually just mass copy all these over in one command, however this will lead to "out of memory" errors and won't work, so the slow way it is.

cd /sdcard/google/app
cp * /system/app/
cd /sdcard/google/etc/permissions
cp * /system/etc/permissions/
cd /sdcard/google/framework
cp * /system/framework/
cd /sdcard/google/lib
cp * /system/lib/
exit
exit

7. Close the command prompt
8. You might need to reboot your tablet here

Have wifi running and connected before you run SetupWizard on the home screen and input your details, otherwise you might not be able to set up a wifi connection with it running.
When i get to this stage, every command, apart from "CD", doesn't work/not found. This is confusing me to the point where i'm pulling hair out, and not necessarily my own.

Anyone have any idea??

1 - 20 of 131 Posts