Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if Pandigital or Barnes & Noble have released GPL sources for the kernel & other GPL components yet?I had a look in the googles, and pandigital's download page, but haven't found anything yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Barnes and Nobel nook source
I haven not seen the Pandigital. They may never release anything. The only time they ever have to release code under the terms of GPL is if they've modified GPL code for their use. Pandigital could've just used stock GPL code and their own custom code, never modifying any GPL code. So they would never have to release any code.
projectgus said:
Does anyone know if Pandigital or Barnes & Noble have released GPL sources for the kernel & other GPL components yet?I had a look in the googles and pandigital's download page, but haven't found anything yet.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
ver2go said:
Barnes and Nobel nook source
I haven not seen the Pandigital.They may never release anything. The only time they ever have to release code under the terms of GPL is if they've modified GPL code for their use. Pandigital could've just used stock GPL code and their own custom code never modifying any GPL code. So they would never have to release any code.
They've definitely changed GPL code, it can be seen all over comparisons of stock 2.0 vs their version. (The tweaked notification bar is probably a result of that)I have my doubts they would actually care, though.

·
Registered
255 Posts
ver2go said:
The only time they ever have to release code under the terms of GPL is if they've modified GPL code for their use. Pandigital could've just used stock GPL code and their own custom code never modifying any GPL code. So they would never have to release any code.
This is a common misconception, but it is false. They are required to do at least one of the 3 things listed under section 3 of GPLv2 as shown here: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html . At the very least, they have to accompany releases with a statement showing which GPL programs they have used unmodified, and where source can be obtained from.

clockworx said:
They've definitely changed GPL code it can be seen all over comparisons of stock 2.0 vs their version. (The tweaked notification bar is probably a result of that)
Android isn't GPL, it's Apache license. So they're not required to release any of that. It's probably just the Linux kernel in their case.

clockworx said:
I have my doubts they would actually care though.
There have been many lawsuits over GPL violation, with substantial damages awarded in some cases. Pandigital are a California-based company, subject to US law. AFAIK companies like B&N distributing the Pandigital are also liable if they do not at least provide notices with the product (ie an addendum in the manual) showing where source code can be obtained (see above.)

·
Registered
576 Posts
clockworx said:
They've definitely changed GPL code it can be seen all over comparisons of stock 2.0 vs their version. (The tweaked notification bar is probably a result of that)I have my doubts they would actually care, though.
I hate to dredge up a relatively ancient post, but the linux kernel IS licensed GPLv2 and so is MOST(if not all) of Android and hence they are REQUIRED to release the source code to it.Their ONLY salvations are the proprietary binary drivers, possibly, for various things like wireless and touchscreen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.