Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happened to have to "Google Experience" files for 2.1, so I took a shot at getting them over. So far I have Maps installed with working Street View. Everything else I tried (Gmail, Gtalk) fails with "older SDK" issue (not surprising). I'll be taking a shot at getting a 2.0 google experience working and see if I can get gmail/market/etc up and running.I'd prefer to get the PD up to 2.1 instead of the other way around, but I'm not sure if that is at all feasible.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Making some progress....gmail and contacts sync work,Maps w/ My Location (via Wifi) works, sent a text w google voice, market loads up and displays, and I can select stuff, only to get an error on download (logcat looks like an API error, which is probably correct since I'm using 2.1 apps)....grrrr

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
clockworx said:
Making some progress....gmail and contacts sync work Maps w/ My Location (via Wifi) works, sent a text w google voice, market loads up and displays, and I can select stuff, only to get an error on download (logcat looks like an API error, which is probably correct since I'm using 2.1 apps)....grrrr
where can we get the marketplace apk?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
lawman said:
where can we get the marketplace apk?
I've grabbed it from various ROMs floating about for other devices. Problem is that 2.0 (as far as I know), is really rare, and I can't seem to find any 2.0 ROMs. Only device that I know of that shipped with 2.0 was the Droid, and it was then quickly upgraded, so I don't know if I can find Google Apps from that version.

I'm going about it the other way at the moment, seeing how easy it would be to shove a hacked 2.0.1 or 2.1 on top.

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
clockworx said:
I've grabbed it from various ROMs floating about for other devices. Problem is that 2.0 (as far as I know) is really rare, and I can't seem to find any 2.0 ROMs. Only device that I know of that shipped with 2.0 was the Droid, and it was then quickly upgraded, so I don't know if I can find Google Apps from that version.

I'm going about it the other way at the moment, seeing how easy it would be to shove a hacked 2.0.1 or 2.1 on top.
I have a droid so I have some of the 2.0 ROMs. I have been running through several of them and so far I can't get market from any of them to load. I get the old sdk error. I will keep looking through all of my stuff though and post something once I find a working version.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
blazingwolf said:
I have a droid so I have some of the 2.0 ROMs. I have been running through several of them and so far I can't get market from any of them to load. I get the old sdk error. I will keep looking through all of my stuff though and post something once I find a working version.
What's the API level in the build.prop in your droid rom? The Pandigital Novel should be 5 (or is on mine, at least) I grabbed a few "2.0" droid ROMs, but when I checked their build prop it was all API 6 (2.0.1) or or API 7 (2.1), which is the problem.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I kept playing around some more, and ended up having to flash my device several times after I got it stuck in a boot loop. I'm a bit rusty with Android so I did some stupid stuff like pushing frameworks/lib over from non-compatible devices. Oops.

Anyways, the board used in here is the SMDK6410, a development board by Samsung. It appears that the actual CPU itself is the same as used in the Samsung Moment phone by Sprint. I grabbed a 2.1 ROM and pushed over the framework and lib directories. It almost got to the homescreen (I think), but died due to some issue with the PowerManager service.

Maybe if we can bring this device to the attention of someone w/ experience building Samsung ROMs, there might be some quick progress to be made. I'm not really experienced with building AOSP from scratch, so that is another option, but something that is already built for this processor might be the best head start.

·
Registered
89 Posts
clockworx- Wow- you've already moved on to 2.1! Are you refreshing via the stock method or have you gotten something like SPRecovery or ClockworkMod installed?

When you have a spare moment, can you post a list of .apks and if necessary, .odex files you installed on 2.0 and weather the apps work or not?

If possible, it would be awesome to have access to the files too. I'm willing to try to recreate what you have via blazingwolf's lex.gs url.

I have google maps working but no location nor street view. I would love to havegmail, calendar, youtube, and google voice working in 2.0 for now- any other apps in there I'm missing? Also, if you could give an update on your work on getting the market, I'm sure folks like me would love to pitch in if possible. If I have to, I'll see if I can revert my Droid to 2.0 to pull files.I'd also be interested in seeing if the 2.0 (or 2.0.1) launcher is stable. It doesn't show up in my list of launcher options after installing from blazingwolf's url.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Unfortunately, I made it nowhere with 2.1, I just figured I'd try since the platform was the same. No luck.

Once I get together a script to install stuff, I'll make it available, I just don't want to go half-baking everyone's tablets. I did get "everything but the market" working at some point, and I'll probably be working towards that on 2.0, rather than working on upgrades/etc.

·
Registered
89 Posts
clockworx said:
Once I get together a script to install stuff I'll make it available, I just don't want to go half-baking everyone's tablets.
That makes sense. I don't really need the scripts but I can wait.

Thanks for the hard work! This + your key remap will make this device very useful in the short term.

I would like to know about my stock restore question from my previous post when you have a second.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
sharpfork2 said:
That makes sense. I don't really need the scripts but I can wait.

Thanks for the hard work! This + your key remap will make this device very useful in the short term.

I would like to know about my stock restore question from my previous post when you have a second.
I am just recovering the stock firmware via Pandigital's flash method. I don't have experience building/signing ROMs and I can make more progress at this point doing it the way I currently am. (adb commands) If I ever want to try building the whole tree from scratch for the device, I would have to look into how to do that, but for now, this works.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.