Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
YOUTUBE IN THIS PACKAGE IS BROKEN!!!! DOWNLOAD A WORKING ONE FROM THE THIRD POST IN THIS THREAD: http://www.slatedroid.com/pandigital-novel-android-tablet-discussion/3584-youtube.htmlFIND THE YOUTUBE.APK IN THIS DOWNLOAD (google experience), AND REPLACE IT WITH THE FIXED ONE YOU DOWNLOADED. INSTALL NORMALLY (sorry for yelling
) 2.1 Launcher to support rotate, if anyone wants it Launcher.apkGoogle Experience Alpha 1

First, the usual warning. You're on your own, and I'm not reponsible for anything this does to your Novel. I highly suggest that you do a clean firmware install from SD card using Pandigital's method, so that you are familiar with it BEFOREHAND, in the event that you want to revert. CURRENTLY THERE IS NO UNINSTALL. YOUR ONLY OPTION IS TO REMOVE BY HAND OR REFLASH. LEARN TO FLASH FROM SD BEFORE TRYING THIS.

Another note:
This "fakes" a 2.1 Android by setting API level to 7 (instead of 5) in build.prop. The files I used worked fine, and I honestly could not find any native 2.0 files to do this (or else they had their own issues). So, this hack my allow you to install 2.1 apps when you normally shouldn't. (whether or not that is good or bad is up to you, nor does it guarantee they will work)

Having said that, I've flashed it a bunch of times from a clean firmware install with no issues.

What this will do:
Install a stock Launcher and a bunch of google experience stuff. Some works, some doesn't.
Also, since it will be essential to the operation of your tablet, the volume key hack will be installed. Volume up is MENU, Volume down is BACK.

Working:
Gmail and SyncContacts and SyncCalendar (Sync works once, fails after, at least for google)
Maps w Street ViewLocation Awareness via Wifi networkGoogle Voice (For receiving VM/SMS/send SMS)

Not working:
Google Talk (opens and closes immediately)
Google Market (Can browse and start download, but download fails every time)
(These are probably related somehow, since I remember seeing some fix for the Market by logging into Talk)

Unknown:
Corporate Account Sync (anyone wanna try this?)

Installation:
Unzip the zip file into the directory with your adb.exe. (You must have adb working to apply this). This means there should be a "install_google_experience_v1.bat" file in the same directory as adb.exe, as well as a "gev1" subdirectory below it.

With your tablet on, connect your tablet via USB. Once it is connected, run the bat file. The software will install followed by a reboot. After the reboot, I suggest unplugging the USB (to avoid an annoying message later), and waiting for it to "calm down" before you try to use it, as the tablet will have to rebuild a whole bunch of cache files. Just leave it alone for 10 minutes after the reboot before trying to use it.

When you come back, the lock screen will be up (I think the lock screen is due to installing the google stuff, though I'm not 100% sure).
Press Menu/Vol Up to unlock. (If you didn't unplugg the USB after the reboot, press "Back"/Vol Down to get past the USB message.

Be warned I've seen the "notification audio" for USB connected cause acore to crash when it happens so early in the boot process, causing a very annoying error loop where you basically just have to power down and reboot. (So just remove the USB cable when booting.)

1.) Choose "Home" as your Home Screen (and you probably want to click the checkbox to set it as default, unless you plan on trying a bunch of other ones. There's text there telling you where you can change it later if you change your mind)
2.) From the home screen, press "Menu"/Vol Up to bring up the menu, and go to Settings.
3.) Go to "Wireless & Networks", click the checkbox to turn on Wifi, give it a second or two (or ten), and then click "Wifi Settings". After a few seconds, a list of networks should show automatically. Set up your network.
4.) If you want to have "Location Awareness" via Wifi, keep going here. Otherwise, skip to step 7.
5.) Once your Wifi is set up, click Back/Vol Down until you are back to the main Setting screen. Go into "Location and Security", and check "Use Wireless networks". (You can uncheck GPS, I have no idea if it makes a difference....probably not)
6.) Go back to Settings, and go to "Privacy". Ensure that "Use My Location" is checked. Go back to Settings.
7.) From the Settings Screen, go to "Accounts and Sync". Click "Add Account" and choose Google (unless you're a rockstar and testing Corporate for me). Continue to through the wizard to set up your account by entering your info.
8.) Once you sign in, it will take you back to the main "Account" screen. You can tweak the Sync settings there if you want to, or just leave them as "Automatic".
9.) Go play! Your contacts and calendar should be populated from Google, and your Gmail should be working. If you open Maps, it should find your location if you enabled it. I would also suggest the "News and Weather" App and Widget, as they both look great on this device format.And without further ado....

goog_exp_alpha_1.zip (If a mod wants to add this to files, they are free to, I just don't have hosting of my own.)

Edited 3/26/11 (format fixes) Please report any broken links or additional mistakes. Thanks, -MrsB

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Scoooooooore!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just noticed something is messed up w/ Calendar Sync. Mine, at least, appears to sync the first time, and then loop endlessly after that. Anyone else experiencing the same?*sigh*....if only we were on 2.1, I'm guessing these issues are related to using a hacked up 2.0/2.1 solution.

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
clockworx said:
I just noticed something is messed up w/ Calendar Sync. Mine at least, appears to sync the first time, and then loop endlessly after that. Anyone else experiencing the same?*sigh*....if only we were on 2.1, I'm guessing these issues are related to using a hacked up 2.0/2.1 solution.
My appointment test are syncing even after creating several of them. One thing I noticed so far is if I create one in Calendar from my desktop it is placed at 23:00 instead of 19:00. Delete from both sides is working just fine.Sync indicator in the nav bar stays all of the time but is not always running.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My calender times were all screwy until I set the date& time in the non Pandigital, real android settings manualy. Now my Google and Touchdown (exchange email) are fine.

I tried the market for shits and giggles and when I tried to install one of the paid apps I bought on my droid with the same gmail account, the install failed. when I went to my droid, i reaized that the same app had been uninstalled. I wonder if the market would work if the primary gmail was a different account...I had tried to install youtube previously with no luck and didn't uninstal prior to installing this deal and now youtubre just quits on launch. I realized I have an older firmware too so it might be time to reflash anyway. Should I hold out or a ln update to this package or is this as good its going to get for a while?

Sent from my sec_smdk6410 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
sharpfork2 said:
I had tried to install youtube previously with no luck and didn't uninstal prior to installing this deal and now youtubre just quits on launch. I realized I have an older firmware too so it might be time to reflash anyway. Should I hold out or a ln update to this package or is this as good its going to get for a while?
I have youtube working, and have no problems with the 7/4 fw. I recommend flashing up to that. Problem is, you will have to reinstall apks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
clockworx said:
Google Experience Alpha 1
Working:
Gmail and SyncContacts and SyncCalendar (Sync works once fails after, at least for google)
Maps w Street View
Location Awareness via Wifi networkGoogle Voice (For receiving VM/SMS/send SMS)

Not working:
Google Talk (opens and closes immediately)
Google Market (Can browse and start download, but download fails every time)
(These are probably related somehow, since I remember seeing some fix for the Market by logging into Talk)

Unknown:
Corporate Account Sync (anyone wanna try this?)

And without further ado....http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?maelztwmkng(If a mod wants to add this to files, they are free to, I just don't have hosting of my own.)
Well, just as I was starting to enjoy the novel with the volume button hack, and before I got to install the Google Exp, MY NOVEL DIED!!!!Won't power up at all.....bummer....oh well....Keep up the good work!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
davemonfl said:
Well just as I was starting to enjoy the novel with the volume button hack, and before I got to install the Google Exp, MY NOVEL DIED!!!!Won't power up at all.....bummer....oh well....Keep up the good work!!
I had that happen a few times b4 trying the google scripts. Open it up and remove the battery connection for a few seconds. If the OS was hosed, you'd likely get a boot loop, not complete death. There are a few pics on opening it here:

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Code:
echo "#!/bin/sh" <br />
tmp.shcat install_google_experience_v1.bat  <br />
tmp.shcat tmp.sh |sed 's/adb/./adb/g' <br />
tmp1.sh cat tmp1.sh|sed 's/REM/#REM/g' <br />
tmp2.shcat tmp2.sh|sed 's/gev1//gev1//g' <br />
mac_install.shrm <br />
tmp*.shchmod +x mac_install.sh
move mac_install.sh into the same directory as your "adb"
make sure the goog_exerience file has been extracted to this same directory.

then
Code:
./mac_install.sh
scmastertech said:
Do you mind sharing? Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
You guys beat me to the cheese in a major way, no need for a notification replacement now I guess. Does this speed up performance quite a bit (better than just panda home)? Can you still use the PDN interface? (Wife loves it god forbid)?

Killer question: Is the boot time significantly better?

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
tobias said:
You guys beat me to the cheese in a major way no need for a notification replacement now I guess. Does this speed up performance quite a bit (better than just panda home)? Can you still use the PDN interface? (Wife loves it god forbid)?

Killer question: Is the boot time significantly better?
It multi boots - you can put three loaders on and pick one of them at bootup... including the pdn one.

Killer answer: not really, in my experience.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.