Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post here so hi everyone! Im planning to buy an aPad in the next week but was wondering: How is pdf reading on the aPad? I mean, most people here on the forum sugests using Documents 2 Go for PDF saying the the builtin PDF reader has crappy performance, but how is Documents 2 Go performance for bigger PDF files (mainly books), like 30~40MB ?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've just tried a 65MB 220 page image heavy book and it handled really well, D2G doesn't load a page until you turn to it which makes it faster. One tip, when your pdf is open hit the Menu button and then the View button then choose "Wordwrap" it makes the pdf much easier to read. The default "Page View" can be a bit small to read. As I've posted elsewhere today, for the next couple of weeks Doc2Go is only $9.99 to buy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. Is the transition from one page to another / landscape - portrait faster with Doc2Go? I Saw people talking about 5~10 seconds for that o.0

·
Registered
251 Posts
D2G was taking about 2 to 2.5 seconds to load a page as I came to it on the 64mb book, that's really not much longer than physically turning a page, smaller books work as well as with any book reader. There may be faster ones out there but since I have a use for D2G (i.e. office files) I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
xaueious;15150 said:
I use Repligo. I bought a copy because it's very good. Docs2Go is slow.
Yes, I think Repligo is the best, is better than Docs2Go, I was try this 2 programs and I prefer Repligo, I use the Version 1.4.0 (chinese) perfectly.Sent from my aPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use PDF viewer and BeamReader (commercial version).I use them to read books of 200-300mb with more than a thousand pages.They works nice.BeamReader is very nice because of the text viewer function, it really works!haven't tried D2G to open PDF files, so I cannot compare them!

·
Registered
93 Posts
how many seconds does it take to load a page on PDF viewer and BeamReader?would be great if you can provide the info in case some of us decides to pay for the app :)thanks in advance

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
geniouslin;17786 said:
how many seconds does it take to load a page on PDF viewer and BeamReader?would be great if you can provide the info in case some of us decides to pay for the app :)thanks in advance
I second that. This is really my main concern

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry for answering only know.To make thing easier to understand I?ve made a screen capture of both programs. My camera is a little bit old so the quality of the videos are not good.I?ve opened two files: - first file: 408kb - 8 pages- second file: 24mb - 523 pagesI use my apad to read technical books and articles (radiology), so most of them have a lot of pictures. Pages with pictures takes a longer time to be opened.-beamreader is a little bit slower, when it open pages manipulate the text like sharpening the text. Sometimes it is not good. It has the great advantage of having the textview, that opens pages very fast.-pfdviewer is very fast. It gives you the impression that you are viewing a picture, because of the way it works.Honestly I use both readers, each one for a specific file. I don?t remember know the name of an app that works like the textviewer of beamreader, but it negativate the screen (black background and white text). You can find it free at market.Hope I could help you guys.Beamreader:
PDFviewer:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Remember, if you buy an app from the market and don't like it you can uninstall and you won't be charged, I think you get a day to try it out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is there a pdf reader able to open a file of about 50-60 MB in a reasonable time?One of the reason why i bought the aPad is to read magazine in pdf format.Any reader i try till now is very slow with those files.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts