Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good news is that I got 2.1 booting all the way up to a lock screen. Bad news is I can't seem to wake it from there (It picks up key-presses in logcat, but screen refuses to unlock. Also, it sees the accelerometer as another input device and thinks the actual accelerometer is missing.). Doh!At least it's progress of some kind. I will probably be looking into 2.1 for a bit as the future for the Google stuff.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Same. Getting cygwin setup so I can GIT the source, and already have eclipse and Android SDK. Looking for steps on how you built it, and then how to build update.img files.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I looked at the Panadigital firmware and the structure seems simple enough to build an firmware file. There is zip_check.md5 that verifies each of the files in the zip file.The part I can't find is the device specific offsets for where the partitions are. I can't mount the images in the firmware, so that tells me I need to know the offsets for each of the image files in the firmware.I'm writing script to brute force it, but would love to know all the Pandigital specifics.[quote name='juched;16790]Same. Getting cygwin setup so I can GIT the source' date=' and already have eclipse and Android SDK. Looking for steps on how you built it, and then how to build update.img files.[/QUOTE']

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No build myself, borrowed from a ROM (which is probably part of the problem). The hardware is pretty similar to the Samsung Moment, but I haven't found a build env for that yet either.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
No more looking at my Novel today, it gets frustrating running into a wall again and again.....but here's some possibilities for compiling that might help us.http://www.embeddedsource.net/index.php/downloads/47-mango64-downloads.htmlhttp://code.google.com/p/android-group-korea/http://groups.google.com/group/0xlab-develhttp://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/MACH_SMDK6410.htmlJuched, if you get a build going under cygwin a writeup would be great. Everything I've seen indicates a potential nightmare trying to build, but who knows.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My Rockchip Apad just came. Now to decide which I want to keep. It's rumored that the Apad manufacturers aren't continuing development of Android 2.1 or 2.2 for the Rockchip models, so the deciding factor might be which ever can do flash first....

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yeah the Youtube app works great. Maybe some of you peeps that have used Android for a while can clue me in - here's my dilemma.APad - Android 1.5, runs fast out of the box, but if ever upgraded to 2.X would lose the DSP processor for video.Novel - Android 2.X, much quicker with another launcher.What advantages does Android 2.X have?EDIT: Nm, looked at Wiki for Android. Looks like flash won't be possible unless someone can figure out a way to cram Froyo on a Novel. Only features I guess I like in 2.0 over 1.5 is possible HTML5, Microsoft Exchange and "optimized hardware speed." Are there tons of apps that aren't available for Android 1.5/1.6?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[quote name='rspray;17061]Yeah the Youtube app works great. Maybe some of you peeps that have used Android for a while can clue me in - here's my dilemma.APad - Android 1.5' date=' runs fast out of the box, but if ever upgraded to 2.X would lose the DSP processor for video.Novel - Android 2.X, much quicker with another launcher.What advantages does Android 2.X have?EDIT: Nm, looked at Wiki for Android. Looks like flash won't be possible unless someone can figure out a way to cram Froyo on a Novel. Only features I guess I like in 2.0 over 1.5 is possible HTML5, Microsoft Exchange and "optimized hardware speed." Are there tons of apps that aren't available for Android 1.5/1.6?[/QUOTE'] Unless something has changed from last I heard, Flash still wouldn't run even if we get Froyo on there, due to Flash having minimum CPU arch requirements that neither the aPad nor the Novel meet, since both are ARM11.

·
Registered
294 Posts
[quote name='clockworx;17216]Unless something has changed from last I heard' date=' Flash still wouldn't run even if we get Froyo on there, due to Flash having minimum CPU arch requirements that neither the aPad nor the Novel meet, since both are ARM11.[/QUOTE']Requirements to run Flash"We require a device with an ARM v7 (Cortex) processor. Examples include the Qualcomm Snapdragon chipsets and TI OMAP3 series."Something I'm a bit unclear about is this whole ARM naming thing. I did the Google bit and it looks like an ARM 11 is better than an ARM 8 so I would have thought that it would have been better than an ARM 7, but apparently not.I guess it has something to do with Cortex, whatever that is.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[quote name='gortyargen;17227]Requirements to run Flash"We require a device with an ARM v7 (Cortex) processor. Examples include the Qualcomm Snapdragon chipsets and TI OMAP3 series."Something I'm a bit unclear about is this whole ARM naming thing. I did the Google bit and it looks like an ARM 11 is better than an ARM 8 so I would have thought that it would have been better than an ARM 7' date=' but apparently not.I guess it has something to do with Cortex, whatever that is.[/QUOTE'] ARM11 is worse than ARM8. Unfortunately, it has become common to use different naming conventions interchangeably, which I also found confusing at first. This will probably help.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture#ARM_coresSo, what is known as ARM11 is ARMv6 (version 6), our processor being a "ARMv6KZ" specifically. Cortex is the next family iteration after ARM11/ARMv6. So, in summary ARM11 = ARM v6, which is older than ARM v7, also known as Cortex, which is the minimum CPU for Flash on ARM devices.YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

·
Registered
294 Posts
clockworx;17229]ARM11 is worse than ARM8. Unfortunately said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture#ARM_cores[/url]So, what is known as ARM11 is ARMv6 (version 6), our processor being a "ARMv6KZ" specifically. Cortex is the next family iteration after ARM11/ARMv6. So, in summary ARM11 = ARM v6, which is older than ARM v7, also known as Cortex, which is the minimum CPU for Flash on ARM devices.YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Ah OK thanks. I was looking at the Witstech's A81 E which looks pretty neat (except no camera) and thought its processor was worse than the Novel's. Looks like a pretty cool piece of kit for 200 bucks (215 if you want GPS), but it's the buy from China crapshoot, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am willing to do almost anything to get a decent installation of android on my Novel. I have experiance working with samsung moments, and a little experiance with the Android SDK. Please let me know what I can do to help with this process!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.