Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been following ECO's progress and I'm hoping him and I can work together on this project.I've been loosely experimenting with Android's source and app development, not to mention I've been dev'ing in Linux for a long time (currently working with Gentoo). I feel confident that we can build a custom ROM for our slates with pretty high performance optimizations and including a new repo system for apps that we can rip from the Marketplace. By this I mean building a new kernel using a decompiled reference of the current kernel and patching a new customized kernel on top of it.I run an R&D lab and tomorrow when I pick up my M001 I'm going to look at it more thoroughly with our lab equipment. From the pics I can tell the WIFI board is nothing more than a USB-standard board, which means that with some software engineering we can replace it with a more standard b/g board and support bluetooth. Of course that's where the custom kernel comes in and will be the first step in software development.I want to take a closer look at the slotted processor, the 8505 chip, and see what's going on there. It's interesting that it's sitting in a DDR2 slot, which shows me some potential for some modding there. I don't know what, but I feel like there's some modding potential there.If I can reverse engineer the majority of a PS3, I think this should be a piece of cake.

·
Registered
103 Posts
[quote author=Darexius link=topic=111.msg875#msg875 date=1274160478]I've been following ECO's progress and I'm hoping him and I can work together on this project.I've been loosely experimenting with Android's source and app development, not to mention I've been dev'ing in Linux for a long time (currently working with Gentoo). I feel confident that we can build a custom ROM for our slates with pretty high performance optimizations and including a new repo system for apps that we can rip from the Marketplace. By this I mean building a new kernel using a decompiled reference of the current kernel and patching a new customized kernel on top of it.I run an R&D lab and tomorrow when I pick up my M001 I'm going to look at it more thoroughly with our lab equipment. From the pics I can tell the WIFI board is nothing more than a USB-standard board, which means that with some software engineering we can replace it with a more standard b/g board and support bluetooth. Of course that's where the custom kernel comes in and will be the first step in software development.I want to take a closer look at the slotted processor, the 8505 chip, and see what's going on there. It's interesting that it's sitting in a DDR2 slot, which shows me some potential for some modding there. I don't know what, but I feel like there's some modding potential there.If I can reverse engineer the majority of a PS3, I think this should be a piece of cake.[/quote]Its like christmas day
if you could do that and improve the performance then the "slatedroid" should be the best price/quality tablet on the market

·
Registered
446 Posts
Definitely we can work together...I just hope my device gets here soon so I can get rid of experimental releases.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote author=ECOTOX link=topic=111.msg916#msg916 date=1274220439]Definitely we can work together...I just hope my device gets here soon so I can get rid of experimental releases.[/quote]I'm setting up a project page right now to track revisions, to-do's, etc. When I have it up on the back of my site I'll post the link. It should help us better organize what works, what doesn't, what we want to see done, what priority things should be in, and keep a central location for our releases.I feel like I need to establish this really quick, and please read this to it's fullest before flaming me. My company has a vested financial interest in this project. As we develop this platform which is a very cost-effective tablet, we will be commercializing the product and using it as a product platform. What does this mean? It means that as we refine the amount of memory the unit has, refine the OS, etc, we will be bulk-purchasing these tablets and modifying them in bulk, then reselling them with the revisions to our commercial clients.What does this mean for the community? It means that if you know someone who wants a tablet like this but doesn't want to go through the headache of modding them, they can buy one already set and ready to go. This means that the more my company makes off of this, the more I can help the community, whether it be by providing hosting to Slatedroid, providing other services to the people of this board, monetary donations, whatever. The larger this grows as a whole, the more I'll invest in making sure that people like ECO and the rest of us will be taken care of.This isn't saying I'm taking all of this and stealing it for my own financial benefit. I'm just packaging it nicely and selling it to people, using whatever profits I gain from it to fuel funding and research into a new tablet system that's COMPLETELY open.We've been working on a platform based on the Cell chips that we can build off of. Problem is that we run into brick walls passing the ideas off. If this project succeeds, you can bet your bottom dollar there will be a completely open tablet market for us to beat with broom handles to make the ultimate Android platform.In a meeting today while the forums were down (I was wanting to post what was happening the whole time step by step), we concluded that this model of tablet, after all mods were completed and the product was ready for sales, would be similar to the first gen iPod Touch.We've designed on paper the next 5 generations of this tablet platform :pI hope that makes sense. If it doesn't please don't flame me. Just ask for a better explanation.

·
Registered
133 Posts
honestly, i just thought this night, while i couldn't sleep, about this: why don't we (some people of the forum) found a company, buy lots of OEM tablets (most of these tablets are available in OEM, and they even print your own logo on the device), do our mods and sell them. :)but since your company is already in bussiness, nevermind
i think it's good idea!but i don't think it good to buy this EKEN M001 tablet and do mods on it and try to resell it. this device is a piece of crap and you are going to spend a lot on adding new memory, bluetooth, ... i think you should contact a chinese company and let them make a tablet from scratch like you want it. (multitouch capacitive screen, 256 mb ram, decent hard drive, faster processor, your own design (M001 is not the most beautiful device
)). that's going to be much cheaper (you don't pay EKEN for the design and "software optimization", you did it by yourself)if you do this, i certainly want to buy such a slate

·
Registered
103 Posts
[quote author=speedfreak link=topic=111.msg968#msg968 date=1274256494]honestly, i just thought this night, while i couldn't sleep, about this: why don't we (some people of the forum) found a company, buy lots of OEM tablets (most of these tablets are available in OEM, and they even print your own logo on the device), do our mods and sell them. :)but since your company is already in bussiness, nevermind
i think it's good idea!but i don't think it good to buy this EKEN M001 tablet and do mods on it and try to resell it. this device is a piece of crap and you are going to spend a lot on adding new memory, bluetooth, ... i think you should contact a chinese company and let them make a tablet from scratch like you want it. (multitouch capacitive screen, 256 mb ram, decent hard drive, faster processor, your own design (M001 is not the most beautiful device
)). that's going to be much cheaper (you don't pay EKEN for the design and "software optimization", you did it by yourself)if you do this, i certainly want to buy such a slate
[/quote]I'm with you, i would pay the 200 $ without thinking for a device like that

·
Registered
446 Posts
Right now I'm working on a faster and more featured kernel. I have one ready, I just dont want to release a kernel i havent tested on my own device, so it will have to wait till i get mine. Once I have my tablet development will be in full swing, no more experimental build, only stable tested builds, and you will VERY quickly have a more featured tablet because If you guys havent noticed I am very dedicated to you guys,this device, and increaseing its ability/functionality =)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=ECOTOX link=topic=111.msg993#msg993 date=1274267287]Right now I'm working on a faster and more featured kernel. I have one ready, I just dont want to release a kernel i havent tested on my own device, so it will have to wait till i get mine. Once I have my tablet development will be in full swing, no more experimental build, only stable tested builds, and you will VERY quickly have a more featured tablet because If you guys havent noticed I am very dedicated to you guys,this device, and increaseing its ability/functionality =)[/quote]You're the most dedicated developer I know, ECO
I'm amazed myself. Were you able to get kernel sources or are you shooting blind?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I am slowly but surely working out the configuration info from the config.gz, I think it was matt that sent me it at my request. The I currently have my system setup for cross compiling for the android armv5te instruction set, so its just a matter of getting my device and testing it before I release it. if it works we will have an engineer build of android for our devices. Not only that I'm going to test the idea of putting a super slim android 2.1 on there so I can enable JIT and we can get a bunch more out of this device.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts