Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so the PDN is kinda slow, I've accepted this. But at this point I'm trying to squeeze every last bit I can get out of it. I have setcpu installed but I'm lacking the knowledge to use it optimally. I'm hoping to get some advice from people more familiar on maximizing performance of my little guy.

· Registered
290 Posts
I have setcpu installed. It shows 800mhz at the top left and 800mhz max and 528 min at top righton the yellow sliders all I can set is Max 528 mhz and min 528mhzHow is it possible to set max and min to 800mhz?EDIT....OK just solved it myself. Had to set device to a Samsung. Now 800 for max and min

· Registered
1,352 Posts
That is killing your battery for very little benefit. The point is that when you're not doing much or the PDN is waiting on you for input it can clock down and save power. (and on most computers, especially tablets, this should be a good portion of the time)I've heard setting min to 133 instead of 66 is a pretty good benefit to responsiveness.

· Registered
290 Posts
Thanks. Certainly makes sense. Min now at 133mhz. I'll play with it and see if anything feels different. Certainly with the cpu set to 800 max it certainly feels more responsive. Also I know we all poopooed the idea that putting in a bigger faster internal mem card speeded it up, but I stuck a 4GB class 4 internally and it actually did seem to be a bit perkier. Pure wishful thinking but.....

· Registered
61 Posts
Get a app killer app like Advanced Task Killer (This one is pretty safe to use) or Autokiller (More powerful, but need Root and you could kill a required app) and make sure to kill the original Pandigiital alarm and other preloaded apps. If you have google experience you can kill the gtalk service in in settings/application/manage services as well. You have to do this every time you reboot, I'm tryng to find out if I can remove at least some of the pandigital apps now that I have root on my device.

· Registered
1,352 Posts
You can remove them all, though I'd keep PDSettings in case you need to recalibrate (then again, I've never had to). You can even do a trial run if you want.adb remountadb shell mkdir /system/app/removedadb shell mv /system/app/PD* /system/app/removed/adb shell reboot (or reboot manually)Then if you want to move stuff backarb remountadb shell mv /system/app/removed/<PD app to bring back, or PD* for all> /system/app/adb shell reboot (or reboot manually)Also, people who actually wrote the OS do not recommend using a task killer. I'd tend to side with them.

· Registered
61 Posts
Nice to know that you are getting off your high pedestal to help us NOOBs clockworx... maybe you dont need an app killer now that the PN sufff isnt loaded, but I still find that sometimes android will just leave apps in memory that you don't need and everything slows down to a crawl.

· Registered
173 Posts
[quote name='clockworx;39495]You can remove them all' date=' though I'd keep PDSettings in case you need to recalibrate (then again, I've never had to). You can even do a trial run if you want.adb remountadb shell mkdir /system/app/removedadb shell mv /system/app/PD* /system/app/removed/adb shell reboot (or reboot manually)Then if you want to move stuff backarb remountadb shell mv /system/app/removed/<PD app to bring back, or PD* for all> /system/app/adb shell reboot (or reboot manually)Also, people who actually wrote the OS do not recommend using a task killer. I'd tend to side with them.[/QUOTE'] Thanks for posting this, I've been wanting to get rid of the extra apps on boot that I never use. I realize Task Killers are probably useless, but I'm one of those neat freaks who hates extra running processes (even if it's 100kb on my 4gb ram laptop). The extra notifications are a pain as well.

· Registered
257 Posts
Hey, without clockworx help, most of us would still be staring at that stock screen with all those pretty books!
But one person can only do / post so much...One thing I've been wondering about the device speed is if the settings that PD set in the init.rc file help or hurt us... The section I'm talking about is:
Code:
# Define the memory thresholds at which the above process classes will# be killed.  These numbers are in pages (4k).    setprop ro.FOREGROUND_APP_MEM 1536    setprop ro.VISIBLE_APP_MEM 2048    setprop ro.SECONDARY_SERVER_MEM 4096#    setprop ro.BACKUP_APP_MEM 4096    setprop ro.BACKUP_APP_MEM 8192    #setprop ro.HOME_APP_MEM 4096    setprop ro.HOME_APP_MEM 8192	  #--------Mark Su for heavyuser + GC-------------------   # setprop ro.HIDDEN_APP_MEM 5120    setprop ro.HIDDEN_APP_MEM 10240   # setprop ro.CONTENT_PROVIDER_MEM 5632    setprop ro.CONTENT_PROVIDER_MEM 11264   # setprop ro.EMPTY_APP_MEM 6144    setprop ro.EMPTY_APP_MEM 36864#yyd 100516,for memory test        #setprop ro.EMPTY_APP_MEM 24576# Write value must be consistent with the above properties.# Note that the driver only supports 6 slots, so we have HOME_APP at the# same memory level as services.    write /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/adj 0,1,2,7,14,15    write /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory 1    write /proc/sys/vm/min_free_order_shift 4#yyd 100516,for memory test    #write /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree 1536,2048,4096,5120,5632,6144    write /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree 1536,2048,8192,10240,11264,36864
If you look at the remarked out fields, it looks like originally the memory management was set to kick in at 50% less memory usage in most cases, and the empty app mem went from 6MB to 36MB! Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but it's pretty obvious that this has been tweaked by PD. Most likely because they figured you would only ever run the preloaded applications, and these settings are designed around those processes..EDIT: Just noticed those are 4K blocks so my 6MB and 36MB statements aren't correct, but the idea that they increased that value by 6 times is still relevant. You can even see a remark statement where they tried lowering that value... Might have something to do with having 256MB of ram.. (Most android devices get by with 128MB)

· Registered
1,352 Posts
[quote name='HaTaX;39670]If you look at the remarked out fields' date=' it looks like originally the memory management was set to kick in at 50% less memory usage in most cases, and the empty app mem went from 6MB to 36MB! Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but it's pretty obvious that this has been tweaked by PD. Most likely because they figured you would only ever run the preloaded applications, and these settings are designed around those processes..EDIT: Just noticed those are 4K blocks so my 6MB and 36MB statements aren't correct, but the idea that they increased that value by 6 times is still relevant.[/QUOTE'] Yeah, might be worth reverting those to Vanilla to see what happens. (although I forget if those values are meant to be relative to amount of RAM installed or not)

· Registered
257 Posts
Heh, the headache with going to vanilla settings is that the init.rc file is stored in the ramdisk.img!!! Made any progress on overcoming that stupid header that gets put in there? Haven't played with it much myself yet, WiFi and all the other stuff has kept me plenty busy for now. (And FWIW, I had worked around the wifi power on by running console commands from within wifi.c, otherwise I was going to add a power on and off service to the init.rc)

· Registered
257 Posts
Kinda need to take a break from this myself at some point, that's why I'm getting that code up and distribute the workload with the rest of the community here!
Thanks for all your contributions here buddy, everyone appreciates it, even though they may not say it all the time... Maybe there's a dodeca-core in your future. Hehe

· Registered
85 Posts
[quote name='clockworx;39495]You can remove them all' date=' though I'd keep PDSettings in case you need to recalibrate (then again, I've never had to). You can even do a trial run if you want.adb remountadb shell mkdir /system/app/removedadb shell mv /system/app/PD* /system/app/removed/adb shell reboot (or reboot manually)Then if you want to move stuff backarb remountadb shell mv /system/app/removed/<PD app to bring back, or PD* for all> /system/app/adb shell reboot (or reboot manually)Also, people who actually wrote the OS do not recommend using a task killer. I'd tend to side with them.[/QUOTE'] I tried this but keep getting "failed. PDAdobereader is not a directory" message. After reboot, I noticed all PD apps are still there. Is this just to prevent those apps at start up but not app removal, correct?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.