Android Tablets Forum banner
21 - 40 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Stormygal, you asked earlier if I knew what was different about the Coby...I didn't want to sound snarkish by saying "If I knew what was different Market would be working" but it's the simple truth so don't take as me snapping at you.
HA .. no problem. It seemed like you were coming from a point of knowing Coby v. Craig, so I just took a shot. We're all on this nutty tablet adventure together.

·
Registered
54 Posts
.if someone that has a working market and has adb can do an "adb shell ls -l /system/app" and post the results we could see if the owner, group and attributes need adjusting.
I still have market and still on Shads 4.3,how exactly do i retrieve this "adb shell ls -l /system/app"?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ok this ADB app keeps asking me to install Java SE development kit before it will install,in which i have already twice,but it keeps telling me it cant find it,is there a way to browse to the location on this stupid thing?All it tells me is to visit java.oracle.com.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok this ADB app keeps asking me to install Java SE development kit before it will install,in which i have already twice,but it keeps telling me it cant find it,is there a way to browse to the location on this stupid thing?All it tells me is to visit java.oracle.com.
when u download it make sure u get the right one .. i think its the jdk u need .. i wish i could remember exactally what one i installed ..but in the long run i install like 4 before the right one got installed

ya hit jdk when u go to the page .. select ur os .. then u will see this file jdk-6u24-windows-i586.exe

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I had that happen too. What I did when I got to the screen where it said I need Java to install, I hit the back button on that screen then hit the Next button and it seemed to take and went ahead and installed the SDK system.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I was able to unpack Shad's update.img and I mounted the system.img in Ubuntu linux. I'm looking at the /system/framework directory and in comparing the two, I don't see anything really different (keep in mind I think I copied the com.google.android.gtalkservice.jar to that dir when trying to get market to work). I'm going to do some poking around. The permissions dir also seem to be quite the same (after I copied the gtalkservice and datamessaging xml files to that dir in my attempts). The only difference is on the 2.2 Froyo ROM, there's an android.hardware.camera.autofocus.xml which is really funny because the CMP738a doesn't have a camera.

I'm going to do some more poking around and see what else I can find.

·
Registered
15 Posts
clockworkmod allows ( on the coby ) to install a zip file from sd card ( which is a recovery.img) with this u can install a certin zip file that will install market on the coby

i was playing around with terminal emulator on it last night .. tried doing the commands that u can do on the coby to flash it over .. but it dont have the flash command ... but i did find that if u type reboot recovery .. we get the default recovery menu .. so was thinking since i have everyting installed to do the adb shell .. was wondering about trying to flash clockwork recovery.img over and see what happens

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Ok, found a "patched" Market app at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=879446 . I tried to install it using adb install and I got this error:

223 KB/s (1864934 bytes in 8.147s)
pkg: /data/local/tmp/Vending.apk
Failure [INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_NO_CERTIFICATES]

Now the app comes with:

META-INF\MANIFEST.MF
META-INF\CERT.RSA
META-INF\CERT.SF

But I don't know how to do this so it's "Signed" and will install? I want to see if this patched version will work.

·
Registered
296 Posts
TikaC .. and this is why i wanna know about this recovery.img file .. as it will allow us to install that .zip file
The craig tablet does not have clockworkmod...it will not install a zip file....it has a recovery partition but this is only used when you either fail a flash or choose "factory reset" under settings to restore a copy of the rom image.

I messaged Lionheart and talked a bit with him about how he got market working on his rom using some files from shad.....I played around with it some today...even got as far as getting market to open up and show the initial screen but as soon as I clicked on the search box it forced closed and went back to it's usual routine. You'll need at least Vending.apk, GoogleAppsFramework and MarketUpdate .....according to Lionheart the files including the jar file TikaC mentioned need to be put into the image and then it is flashed....he was not aware of a method to add them via adb etc.....I tried a factory reset followed by copying the files and then rebooting.

Recovery.img = copy of update.img stored in a partition named Recovery. If you tried to install clockworkmod it would require a modified bootloader so you could get to it AND an additional partition to boot the clockworkmod mini-android distro which would change the order the craig requires for it's own methods.

I know this because we added clockworkmod to the HTC HD2 when we went to nand installs instead of running android from sd.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ok, found a "patched" Market app at . I tried to install it using adb install and I got this error:

223 KB/s (1864934 bytes in 8.147s)
pkg: /data/local/tmp/Vending.apk
Failure [INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_NO_CERTIFICATES]

Now the app comes with:

META-INF\MANIFEST.MF
META-INF\CERT.RSA
META-INF\CERT.SF

But I don't know how to do this so it's "Signed" and will install? I want to see if this patched version will work.
You don't INSTALL Vending.apk...it has to be copied to the system/app folder and will be available upon reboot.

adb push Vending.apk /system/app

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
As mentioned in one of my previous posts, there's definitely a permission problem going on there on log in. But if you got that far, maybe can you get a log of what happened when it started with an error on search? At least you did get that far.

·
Registered
296 Posts
As mentioned in one of my previous posts, there's definitely a permission problem going on there on log in. But if you got that far, maybe can you get a log of what happened when it started with an error on search? At least you did get that far.
You can do "adb shell ls -l /system/app" for example and look at permissions, owner and group for each file..for instance the owner is "system" and the group is "232" for all apps in /system/app except ours....you can do a "chown system Vending.apk" to change owner but "chgrp" isn't a valid command. chmod 777 will give global rwxrwxrwx because by default they are 666 which is rw_rw_rw (r)ead|(w)rite|e(x)ecute

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thanks for the info. It went by me about the install thing in adb. Thanks for clearing it up.

I'm going to try your suggestions. I'm actually right now using the official Craig 2.2 with z4Root and adbWireless so I'll see what luck I'll have there. However, I have a hunch I'll have to revert back to flushback666's rooted ROM.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ok, I was able to get the permissions and everything changed to exactly the same as the other apk files since Better Terminal Pro does have chgrp as part of the addon package. I changed the user and group to "system" / 232 and the chmod to 777. It still is force closing before it even can load a page. I think this is the key (from the logs):

Code:
<br />
E/AndroidRuntime( 1401): java.lang.SecurityException: Permission Denial: writing<br />
com.google.android.gsf.settings.GoogleSettingsProvider uri<br />
[URL=content://com.google.settings/partner]content://com.google.settings/partner[/URL] from pid=1401, uid=10057 <br />
requires com.google.android.providers.settings.permission.WRITE_GSETTINGS<br />
got to find this providers file somewhere?

21 - 40 of 128 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.