Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All aPad rom cooks: Is it possible to get rid of the cramfs /system partition, and use an R/W fs? If the files of /system fit the partition uncompressed, it ought to be doable. Even if not, resizing partitions could be an option.Having a modifyable /system partition makes tweaking so much easier.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
xaueious;7758 said:
Might be a performance booster too.
Didn't think of that, but yes, it should be, as cramfs is basically a zipped up file structure (and stuff inside has to be unzipped to be used).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you know if the kernel has support for yaffs2 or jffs2 ? I still haven't received my device.By the way, I think if we would like to change it, we should change a bunch of files (HWDEF, parameter, boot.img:/init.rk28board.sh, and system.img) so we have enough space in each partition.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think some of the partitions are yaffs2, but can't check, as I have no aPad atm. Seems like the system partition is 120 MB, and the uncompressed /system files weigh in at only 66 MB so there should be plenty of space. Hell, even ext2 should do!

·
Registered
160 Posts
There should be enough space anyway. There are 2gb of internal flash if I remember correctly, that would be big enough to just use ext2 on all partitions.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The problem is that we can't modify the init.rk28board script which is in the boot.img file. It has hardcoded mount option with cramfs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello,I've some bad news, the kernel used here doesn't support YAFFS2.
Code:
#cat /proc/filesystemsnodev	sysfsnodev	rootfsnodev	bdevnodev	procnodev	debugfsnodev	sockfsnodev	usbfsnodev	pipefsnodev	anon_inodefsnodev	futexfsnodev	tmpfsnodev	inotifyfsnodev	configfsnodev	devpts	ext3	ext4dev	ext2	cramfsnodev	ramfs	msdos	vfatnodev	nfsnodev	mqueuenodev	rpc_pipefs

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote name='alex_speed;9812]Hello' date='I've some bad news, the kernel used here doesn't support YAFFS2.[/QUOTE'] Not good, but then again no showstopper. EXT2 or EXT3 should work too.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Okay, I modified the partition layout to make space for a 200 mb system partition, created a 150 mb ext3 image (smaller just to be sure) with the system files in it, edited init.rk28board to uses ext3 for the system partition and flashed. It did not work. It will go to the reformat screen and format some stuff, but then will not boot up anymore. You can still reflash it, though. Any ideas?

·
Registered
954 Posts
I was trying this today actually. It wouldn't even flash with that big of a system image for me. My partition layout is for 80MB system. We are going to be using /data mostly anyways. My system image stands at 70MB. It's the same one in my latest HyrbidKangXau, except expanded to ext2/3. When /cache is ext2, it bootloops into recovery. I don't know why. I kept that init.rc line the same. I haven't tried many combinations for system yet. Try sticking to ext3 everything, but I'm not sure if the update-script is even flashing the system partition properly.I'm going to stop trying today. I shattered my touch panel on my Apad by dropping it. But the unit still works so I can still contribute.If not we naobsd is working on a rootfs system on the SDCard. If we can replicate something like that, we can have a pseudo recovery image boot (either from RAM otherwise) just to flash images.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For flashing single partitions only you can google for RKAndroidtoolJust changing init.rk28.. and flashing a ext3 filesystem did did also not work, now trying to mount the fs from sd card

·
Registered
954 Posts
[quote name='3exponl;12434]For flashing single partitions only you can google for RKAndroidtoolJust changing init.rk28.. and flashing a ext3 filesystem did did also not work' date=' now trying to mount the fs from sd card[/QUOTE'] Is the update-script even dumping the .img file properly? Or is it a problem with the mount?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Perhaps we can use some knowledge from this thread for the WDTV 'ext3' where they run ext3 root.bin files on a USB device so that they have read/write for the OS and all stuff they need ?The system is similar: kernel+cramfs roms read-only in flash, with one extra check, the files on the root are checked at boot versus a 'md5sum.txt' file. We don't need the md5sum, just change the root to r/w..http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=964.15Edit: forgot to mention root.bin is just ext3 in a .bin file, and our kernel has ext3 support.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I managed to add an additional partiton on the flash. The problem is I can not mount it as I can not format it, and con also not load an image into it, as I do not have a tool to for it.any suggestions?

·
Registered
26 Posts
If someone would actually get rid of the packed file system for an ext3 system I think it would be a real performance booster. However for developement purposes so that it is readable on windows machines would it be possible to use a FAT32 or FAT based file system? This way we could just change and move files around and start hacking away. It would make this 10x easier.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Fat32 or Fat based filesystems do not support long file names and other linux-special items like symlinks etc. You can never run Android from a FAT based partition.. sorry :(As for other partitions in flash, perhaps the flash driver is not really happy with read/write. We could still run ext2/3 .bin as our filesystem from SD card, USB stick or whatever.. You need to pivot the root / init correctly, an example of which is outlined in the WDTV link i posted. Since i haven't recieved my Apad yet, i can not try anything, just posting (in my opinion) usefull suggestions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
[quote name='Asure;13831]As for other partitions in flash' date=' perhaps the flash driver is not really happy with read/write.[/QUOTE'] /data and /cache are mounted as rw mtdblock 6 and 7 respectively. So mounting as rw should be possible.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts