Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Still claims 800Mhz, 720p videro playback and Android Market wit 70,00+ apps.Now is Kmart behind the curve and has old info or are they ahead of the curve and with Tue update it's true?

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
gottahavit;33259 said:
Picked one up today at kmart to compare to my Pandigital.
Keep us posted on the comparison

·
Registered
548 Posts
bugeyed;33293 said:
Waiting with abated breath!
trying to make it a fair comparison so I am in the process of reading and updating the gentouch with all the latest hack and same software as my Novel as I have hacked that greatly in the 4 days i've had it. Will try to post something tomorrow after playing a bit more, but strictly initial impression and I reserve the right to change my mind. Lighter, smaller, Maybe feels cheaper(close call). Miss the screen realestate of the Novel already. Better wifi, much worse pc connection support and thus having harder time getting my apps and updating. Like the USB charging(probably number 1 win so far). More stable but less useable(make any sense?) then orignal version of Novel however current Novel updates are far more stable than this thing. Screen quality is a toss up gentouch maybe a little more vibrant but seems grainy. Screen sensitivity on the Gentouch is driving me mad(got screen calibration, still bad). no real speed decision yet.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Oh Yes and external microsd is a total PITA to get in and out. AND it loses big time for not having a replaceable internal storage like the Novel.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote name='mogrith;33254]Still claims 800Mhz' date=' 720p videro playback and Android Market wit 70,00+ apps.Now is Kmart behind the curve and has old info or are they ahead of the curve and with Tue update it's true?[/QUOTE']I am going with Kmart being behind the curve. The Gentouch78 box says nothing of 70,000 apps. It says HUNDRED of apps. The 70,000 is listed on the website as how many apps available for the Android Platform(which is true). The AppStore they are now using however has less then 2k.The 800Mhz claim has yet to be disproven. When the PDN first arrived, it showed only 600Mhz in testing, now after 3 updates it shows 800. Some say the chip is rated up to 720Mhz, but 800 would be possible.CPG

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
I tend to agree, But it would be nice if the 8/10 update bumped the CPU to 800 (possible), and access to the market w/o hacks (not a chance) and Kmart knew it.And I win the lotto

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[quote name='cutterjohn;33722]TCC8902 SoC alone makes the GT78 worth it over a PDN to me' date=' although neither are as nice as a Cortex-A8 based SoC would be...[/QUOTE']I agree, a Cortex-A8 would be nice. Almost considering the A81 because of it, but I figure at this point since I have one tablet thats lower end and the A81 still is resistive with no accelerometer then I will just wait for the likes of the Cruz Tablet, or Notion Ink Adam. I will just fiddle with the Gentouch78 for the next 2 months or so....CPG

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm still thinking aboout ordering the A81 E from mp4nation when they get theirs IF the GT doesn't get re-stocked pretty soon... even ... *GASP* briefly thinking about a PDN since they're available at least, nah... PDN is just too limited, but even the GT barely gets above that...[EDIT]They got another new rom today (A81 E), apparently the GPS is working... supposed to have flash too, but I didn't see any flash specific comments yet...sounds like their fw is almost good enough, because that is also part of the reason why I'm not so hot-to-trot for an A81-E just yet, plus I'd rather buy it from mp4nation than mess with aliexpress...[/EDIT]

·
Registered
548 Posts
[quote name='gottahavit;33312]trying to make it a fair comparison so I am in the process of reading and updating the gentouch with all the latest hack and same software as my Novel as I have hacked that greatly in the 4 days i've had it. Will try to post something tomorrow after playing a bit more' date=' but strictly initial impression and I reserve the right to change my mind. Lighter, smaller, Maybe feels cheaper(close call). Miss the screen realestate of the Novel already. Better wifi, much worse pc connection support and thus having harder time getting my apps and updating. Like the USB charging(probably number 1 win so far). More stable but less useable(make any sense?) then orignal version of Novel however current Novel updates are far more stable than this thing. Screen quality is a toss up gentouch maybe a little more vibrant but seems grainy. Screen sensitivity on the Gentouch is driving me mad(got screen calibration, still bad). no real speed decision yet.[/QUOTE'] So to be clear i am comparing both devices running rooted with setCPU configured to min 133 and performance. Running FW 7/24 on the PD and the screen calibration update on the GT. Using Opera mini and skyfire for browser testing, and Kindle for reader testing. Have LauncherPro as the home screen. Animated wallpaers are disabled.Pandigital Wins:Touch Sensitivity - after all hacks and tweaks applied this screen is very useable and responsive. The GT screen is far superior after the hack however it is still so flaky it drives me nuts. also it seems to be nearly impossible to do a flick scroll on most apps.screen resolution - for browsing this is big especially with the screen sensitivity issues on the GTRotation(hopefully GT will fix)screen quality - the GT looks grainy in comparison.App compatibility - seems almost all apps work on the PD, not so(my favorite PDF reader beamreader) pukes on GT.Browsing/Reading - for all the reasons stated above.3.5 mm audio - sounds trivial but it's not.ad-hoc hacks works better, still not right for GT, very useable on PDPC connectivity - easy to get files to/from the PD, the USB toggling on the GT is ridiculousStorage - replaceable microsd, easily accessible SDHC. The GT microsd slot is extremely difficult to get my card in and out of.Heat - much cooler than the GTBattery life - still testing this one but PD seems to have a marginal leadfinal price - at 115(AR) compared with 169 thats like 30% discountGentouch Wins:VIDEO - hands down anything other than MP4 is FAR superior on the GT than the PD(hopefully eclair or froyo updates and other hacks will improve this). Even with mp4 the better GT is noticeablywifi - more dependable when not trying to use ad-hoc.buttons - marginal since no hardware volume, but still more buttons.usb charging - though you have to be careful since it says it's charging even if your cable isn't high enough quality.lighter - definitely easier to carry aroundcase - very nice caseToss Ups:stability - GT video player is not only faster but more stable, however I continually get to a point where the device slows to a crawl doing nothing and needs to be rebooted. PD is fairly stable except the home screen rotation issue.performance - beyond video and screen response I don't see significant difference in running apps.Final thoughts:Right now I would probably hang on to the PD over the GT given the price difference and the fact that I can offset most of the GT video performance by encoding to mp4. The screen response is UTTERLY ANNOYING.I will however be holding onto both for another couple weeks until we see what we get for updates from GT and from PD or better yet from the great folks working on the Eclair/Froyo firmware.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I read on the xda forums that several people w/rainchecks have received calls about more Augens being in stock... ...seems like they're still coming in, in small batches though as they mentioned c. 4 units per store...

·
Registered
10 Posts
The KMart in my area got 4 in stock yesterday. I got a call yesteday afternoon and found out that they had 4 rainchecks and 4 came in. Good thing I was one of the 4. So far after adding the patches and all I am happy with the purchase. Only thing I am annoyed at is not being able to access the Android Market. I did 3 downloads that worked and after that it just spins its wheels saying waiting to download. The alternate market doesn't have Citrix Receiver. I'll have to try some of the tweaks to see if I can get it to work again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.