Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all Just a heads up, called over to Augen corporate office and mentioned I was from Slatedroid and got transferred to the VP. All in all a great conversation and hopefully we will be able to build a strong relationship with them ( ahem source code)

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's cool. Could ya ask him if he could make the tablet available internationally?

·
Registered
576 Posts
benedict_x;24724 said:
That's cool. Could ya ask him if he could make the tablet available internationally?
They probably won't be able to release all of the source as I expect that there are at least one or two drivers that binary only... can always hope to be wrong or that the vendor will supply a driver that can be rebuilt with newer kernel versions and rebuilt against current kernel rebuilds...

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
benedict_x;24724 said:
It's a clone of an international product with less features. I'm sure you can find it on aliexpress.Actually, I know you can. Wirelession.com has it and they sell via aliexpress. I think their version is called the W1200.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Buying from Aliexpress is an invitation to be screwed. Just look at the numerous threads on the aPad forum.[quote name='clockworx;25492]It's a clone of an international product with less features. I'm sure you can find it on aliexpress.Actually' date=' I know you can. Wirelession.com has it and they sell via aliexpress. I think their version is called the W1200.[/QUOTE']

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey if anyone wants to order from Aliexpress I can save you the trouble , send me the money because I wont ship anything either.

·
Registered
69 Posts
[quote name='Mp4doggie;25501]Hey if anyone wants to order from Aliexpress I can save you the trouble ' date=' send me the money because I wont ship anything either.[/QUOTE'] good advise!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Didn't a ton of people get their aPads from aliexpress? I'm pretty sure it's similar to eBay in terms of scamminess. I have an 8GB uSD from there that I got for a buck after the $20 coupon, so I'm not complaining (and yes, I tested it with a program to ensure it isn't fake).That aside, you can also get it from merimobiles, who is or was an ad sponsor of this site.

·
Registered
576 Posts
cutterjohn;25372 said:
I've sent an enquiry to google re. source variation release from these various vendors... That will be quicker than waiting for them to figure out about complying with their licensing terms...
Jason responded that they'll be releasing their code once they get a copy from the ODM.I started the enquiry as their initial responses made it sound like they only ever planned on releasing binary ROM images as they kept telling me all about them instead of answering the original question.This doesn't mean that it will be a full setup to build the actual ROM images, as I pointed on the flatpad forums other companies have gotten around that by using 3rd party proprietary(or on-OSS) tools to build the installable ROM images.Anyways, maybe there's hope that Augen and Pandigital will release their Android source soon as well. Be nice if they came with complete ability to build a ROM image as it would be a step towards getting other versions, e.g. 2.2 going.. still the question of binary drivers though of which I am almost positive there will be some key ones... the worst would WiFi, and if the device has 3G that would likely also definitely be proprietary binary only...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.