Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all who tried to help me set up the Gentouch but I finally gave up (for now) and returned to KMart.It was just too difficult to update (Augen are you listening) for a purportedly consumer device - I'm not even talking about modded firmware - just the Augen updates.They should really put a bootloader or recovery on the device.I'll wait on the sidelines until I can buy a Gentouch loaded with updated OS - I'm hoping that they will be shipping in a month or two.Again, thanks to all who tried to help and Windows Vista is still a POS

·
Registered
29 Posts
[quote name='docfreed;44359]Thanks to all who tried to help me set up the Gentouch but I finally gave up (for now) and returned to KMart.It was just too difficult to update (Augen are you listening) for a purportedly consumer device - I'm not even talking about modded firmware - just the Augen updates.They should really put a bootloader or recovery on the device.I'll wait on the sidelines until I can buy a Gentouch loaded with updated OS - I'm hoping that they will be shipping in a month or two.Again' date=' thanks to all who tried to help and Windows Vista is still a POS[/QUOTE']Its not Gentouch, you should have returned your computer. There's a reason why corporate america is holding on to XP and MS has extended support of it. There were a few of us in the office that were given Vista OS lappys, we were eventually given admin rights to the computer so we could run the normal day to day apps we ran in the past. If we weren't given admin rights, the Systems folks would have had to setup a desk next to our desks. If that doesn't scream incompetency and not understanding their customers...I don't know what does. I have had no problems with XP and Gentouch, all patches/updates loaded fine. Buy back the Gentouch, ditch your OS you'll be happy you did. MS will eventually be unseated by a slicker, cheaper, better company, much like what is happening today with the tablets. I've used MS products all my life, I'm quite disgusted with them and their annoying browser and OSs. The revolution has already begun. First its dominating the web, then phones, then tablets then dare I say PCs, each with the ability to mimic the functionality of MS at a lower price point, with endless integration and modification?! Welcome to web 3.0

·
Registered
576 Posts
I was lucky, w/Ubuntu 10.04 x86-64 just had to lsusb and pick out the right ID and add it to to a config file...My Vista install is only the 32b version, which worked out fine w/the calibrate USB drivers, but I almost never use Windows for anything other than gaming and a few situations where vendor sw only comes in a windows variant... (generally skip running update sw under wine as while it MIGHT work, it just adds another layer of risk of things going horribly wrong...)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, you are right about Windows - unfortunately I need it for one or two pieces of software for my work. But, here's a question:I can run a dual-boot Ubuntu 10.4 on my Toshiba laptop - is it possible to do updates on the Gentouch using this? If I can, I'll buy back the Gentouch in a heartbeat - it's the best cheap Android tablet I've seen.So could I install lincracker's v3 img, etc?

·
Registered
576 Posts
not sure... I'd strongly advise against trying the fasboot.exe under wine... while it might work, it also might not or only partially... i.e. I only update the GT under Vista 32b ATM...haven't bothered looking for a linux version of the tool either though, as I can update under vista...(I'm worried about accidentally bricking it ATM and not being able to obtain a replacement... I'll do more once kmart starts having them regularly in stock... that is unless I just decide to return it anyways and get a witstech A81-E anyways or maybe still even a cruz tablet IF they either have GOOD sale prices or much more reasonable street prices... newegg should give a hint about that as they usually have MUCH better prices than chain stores... and better specs, at least w/notebooks(mainly thinking ASUS here as I looked at an ASUS on newegg and one at bestbuy, the newegg one had a 1680x1050 screen while the best buy had 1280x782 or something pretty low for a 17" ... ended up with an MSI nb anyways, better GPU and about the same price...)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah, I agree on Newegg - besides, just for me as a matter of principle, BB stinks and their salesdrones are morons. I, too, was looking at the Cruz - with a capacitive screen those specs are looking good. While the cheap chinese knockoffs are what's available now, I expect that by Q4 of this year they'll be replaced by solid offerings from Asus, Acer, etc.As I said, I think I'll just wait a month and play with my Archos A5 for now. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
576 Posts
[quote name='docfreed;44526]Yeah' date=' I agree on Newegg - besides, just for me as a matter of principle, BB stinks and their salesdrones are morons. I, too, was looking at the Cruz - with a capacitive screen those specs are looking good. While the cheap chinese knockoffs are what's available now, I expect that by Q4 of this year they'll be replaced by solid offerings from Asus, Acer, etc.As I said, I think I'll just wait a month and play with my Archos A5 for now. Thanks for the advice[/QUOTE']I just call them Worst Buy... my biggest annoyance are the morons always trying to sell you their crappy warranties... well I suppose that they're ok for some things like notebooks which are expensive to repair/replace, but...Oh yeah, that ASUS nb I was talking about IIRC it wan an Intel P8600 with the 9800M GTX IIRC. Both newegg's and BB's were from the same model family and just about the same price... now that I think of it IIRC the enwegg model had a larger hdd as well... but I ended up with an MSI GT725... unfortunately AMD/ATI linux drivers still suck... and their windows drivers while MUCH better still have problems that nvidia drivers don't with certain apps/games...I just want to know what CPU the Cruz actually has in it... if it's only another TCC8902 then it's really about a $210 tablet... I'll probably just end up keeping the GT if they keep up with fw updates as it's really not too bad, plus it would give me more time to save up a larger budget for later tablets when they hopefully come standard with 512MB RAM, cortex-A8/9s, GPS, a good(2MP min) camera(or 2), easily removeable batteries, better GPUs(PowerVR SGX 520 on the wits is kind of turning me off, as in best case it's seems like it's supposed to be about as good, maybe, as the mali-200 in the 8902 SoC...), gorilla glass screens... (extra paranoid now that I've read the couple of articles on dropped -> broken LCDs here... those are usually fairly expensive to replace...)Anyways, good luck with what you end up with, you should have some better choices in a few weeks to a month or so(depending on availability... they might sell like hotcakes and be virtually unobtainable for a while...)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks - I'll be lurking here for a while and I'm also looking at an Archos 7HT ($192 on Amazon w/free shipping for me) - it's been rooted and you can have Market (or not depending on your likes). Archos has it's own bootloaders built in so all you have to do is put an img file on a sd card and update. Wish the other cheapo's would do this.

·
Registered
146 Posts
[quote name='docfreed;44456]Yeah' date=' you are right about Windows - unfortunately I need it for one or two pieces of software for my work. But, here's a [URL=question:I]question:I[/URL] can run a dual-boot Ubuntu 10.4 on my Toshiba laptop - is it possible to do updates on the Gentouch using this? If I can, I'll buy back the Gentouch in a heartbeat - it's the best cheap Android tablet I've seen.So could I install lincracker's v3 img, etc?[/QUOTE'] DOC, there was someone in the XDA forums using UBU and Virtualbox (not wine) to setup a virtual copy of XP and he said that although the initial connection took a little work everything after that worked great. Personally I use mandriva with a VBOX of XP so That I can work from home when I'm ill and it works like a charm. That being said, I have nOT tried to connect to the augen that way.However, since UBU has so many forums available I would almost bet that you could do it and quite easily

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was able to update mine with Windows 7 Enterprise and the custom Lincs files. Had to install the drivers from PDANet first but didn't install the application. Now my windows 7 laptop sees the Gentouch properly.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I'm done with them too. BTW, I purchased an Archos A7HT ($192 from Amazon) - like night and day. Fab screen, great video and very active forum at archosfans.com. I just finished rooting, installing custom ROM, etc. Absolutely no issues, good WiFi, have market and all google apps and 238 Mb of app space!!Look into it (I don't work for Archos - just a normal geek). I also have an Archos A5IT - works just as well but I like the 7" screen size.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
The archos isn't that much less of a "cheap" tablet than the GT, is it? 40 bucks?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think $40 is significant - it's that the A7HT seems to be built better, has a better screen and a lot more support from Archosfans.com ( Archos employees seem to hang out there and they respond). I also think Archos wins out on their video stuff- it can play just about everything from .avi to .mp4. And Archos has been at this stuff a lot longer.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I considered the archos 7. I went with the cheap pdn because I'm convinced all of these are crap (I mean that in the nicest way) and what we see in a year or so will be "for real"... that or we'll realize the tablet form is shite and all go get netbooks.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
lawman;46011 said:
I considered the archos 7. I went with the cheap pdn because I'm convinced all of these are crap (I mean that in the nicest way) and what we see in a year or so will be "for real"... that or we'll realize the tablet form is shite and all go get netbooks.
I know it's a forbidden word around here.....but have you used an iPad? It's reasonably pleasant experience. A respected android co just need to do the same, hopefully cheaper. The capacitive screen is the really big thing missing at the moment.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I will not pay apple for apple stuff. I will fix a busted joint, but apple is evil.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
[quote name='lawman;46026]I will not pay apple for apple stuff. I will fix a busted joint' date=' but apple is evil.[/QUOTE'] Fine, try it at an Apple Store then to get a real "finished" experience. That way Apple gets no money from you and everyone is happy.If it makes you feel better, you can suckerpunch an employee on your way out.

·
Banned
1,115 Posts
Same here about Apple products I don't own any and won't buy anything from Apple. I did go into Apple store, it felt like a different world coming from 100% Microsoft. Odd environment structure. Gentouch and Flytouch are good for us who like to tinker with they're systems. Apple crowd isn't the same. Anyway to each their own I say!

·
Registered
576 Posts
[quote name='tipstir;46048]Same here about Apple products I don't own any and won't buy anything from Apple. I did go into Apple store' date=' it felt like a different world coming from 100% Microsoft. Odd environment structure. Gentouch and Flytouch are good for us who like to tinker with they're systems. Apple crowd isn't the same. Anyway to each their own I say![/QUOTE']me too... I stopped drinking the koolaid after living in the reality distortion field wrt game availability natively for years... then the removal of the ability to strip down mac products to avoid their profiteering on commodity products, e.g. hdd, RAM, GPUs, etc. was taken away was the final straw. OSX is nice and all but not worth the Apple tax for a halfway almost decent system, and on nbs & other mobile products the removal of the ability for the user to easily replace batts was just the final nail in the Apple coffin for me...They've just made their company irrelevant in my world. (Waiting for the rabid fanbois to show up... this thread is going to be flamed to hell now.)BTW I saw that he posted on another forum that he got his 5IT yesterday and, apparently, likes it. Wonder if they'll get froyo running on it, as I skimmed a thread on archosfans about it...[EDIT]My problem with the Archos 7 is that they use the Rockchip RK2808 in those IIRC so you're stuck with Android 1.5... and no 3D accel AFAIK(quickly became disillusioned with RK2808 so I skipped looking into them closely...)I'm guessing that they'll be launching new products soon with all of these sales for the 5IT and 7... clearing invetory by stores probably...[/EDIT]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.