Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Houston we have a problem... I was running a test on the battery life of my Gentouch to see how long it would hold a charge under Airplane on - off mode (Beautiful widgets)..!st test was to be for 2 hours with Airplane off mode. I fully charged the battery to 100% - rebooted tablet and unplugged power. I watched it for about 35 minutes while battery went from 100% to 89%.I stepped away for a minute and when I came back the screen had gone black. I figured screen had gone into sleep mode and tried to wake it up. Short power press - N/G. Long power press and hold - N/G. Power/Menu press (recovery) - N/G. Pressed Back and Menu - N/GOk - I plugged the A/C power back on and tried the presses again - Nothing.One hour later still nothing. Red charging lite is on but back is almost completely cool.I had not rooted the machine and had not applied any updates. This ticks me off because I really like this guy ( see my other posts).Wait - reset button! I used unbent staple to get into tiny hole and bingo - back to life.Boy this little guy is more fun than tippin cows.To be continued...

·
Registered
576 Posts
JohnnyP;27598 said:
Houston we have a problem... I was running a test on the battery life of my Gentouch to see how long it would hold a charge under Airplane on - off mode (Beautiful widgets)..!st test was to be for 2 hours with Airplane off mode. I fully charged the battery to 100% - rebooted tablet and unplugged power. I watched it for about 35 minutes while battery went from 100% to 89%.I stepped away for a minute and when I came back the screen had gone black. I figured screen had gone into sleep mode and tried to wake it up. Short power press - N/G. Long power press and hold - N/G. Power/Menu press (recovery) - N/G. Pressed Back and Menu - N/GOk - I plugged the A/C power back on and tried the presses again - Nothing.One hour later still nothing. Red charging lite is on but back is almost completely cool.I had not rooted the machine and had not applied any updates. This ticks me off because I really like this guy ( see my other posts).Wait - reset button! I used unbent staple to get into tiny hole and bingo - back to life.Boy this little guy is more fun than tippin cows.To be continued...
I've never owned an Android device(phone/etc.) before so, can someone enlighten me as to WTF "airplane" mode is?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Airplane Mode = All wireless signals are disabled (wifi, cell, GPS). All smartphones (android, iOS, blackberry, webOS, WinMo, etc) have this feature as it was common practice to have to turn your phone off before boarding a plane.

·
Registered
576 Posts
[quote name='RemyL75;27618]Airplane Mode = All wireless signals are disabled (wifi' date=' cell, GPS). All smartphones (android, iOS, blackberry, webOS, WinMo, etc) have this feature as it was common practice to have to turn your phone off before boarding a plane.[/QUOTE']Thanks! I surmised as much but since I absolutely DETEST cellphones I haven't owned one in over 5y now...[EDIT]...and since I also despise the TSA gestapo I also avoid flying whever possibly today as well...[/EDIT]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote name='cutterjohn;27611]I've never owned an Android device(phone/etc.) before so' date=' can someone enlighten me as to WTF "airplane" mode is?[/QUOTE'] The airlines don't like you to turn on the phone/device while in flight because it has a tendency to crash the plane - I think that what it is. Anyway the phone/device has an airplane on/off mode switch which you use to prevent the crash.My Eken M001 came with the airplane mode thingy installed which was cool. The Gentouch does not have this feature but it can manually installed using "Beautiful widgets".The reason I am interested in this mode (other than self preservation) is because it was mentioned in this forum someplace that the Gentouch software still thinks it is a cell phone and apparently uses up a lot of battery power searching for a signal. You can see the battery % usage by looking in settings - About Tablet-PC - Battery Use (at bottom) - It shows over 50% of the battery use is devoted to "Cell standby" . I wanted to run a test turning airplane mode off and then on to see if and how much it actually affected the battery.I know I know - long winded.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts