Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my m001 today from DealExtreme (unbranded, so not EKEN m001).The USB cable is crap (as noted by many others)The charger is crap after 20 minutes (as noted by many others)I have not tried any custom ROMs/firmware files yet as I think ECO has something big on the horizon. I am using 1.7.2 'official' and after some configuring, it is very snappy!I set my locale and configured the touchscreen with a Nintendo DS stylus, it is accurate and responsive.When I try to use the device while it is charging, the touchscreen is very bad. My input jumps around and is generally crap. So if you have problems using the screen, try unplugging the charger. For the time being, I am just charging with the device off.Automatic Task Killer is great. I can really tell that it makes a difference in keeping my m001 running fast. Everything seems snappier once I set it up. I lose my multitasking capabilities, but it is worth it. Plus I can choose which apps to auto end. You can get Automatic Task Killer here: http://mobilerumor.blogspot.com/2010/05/automatic-task-killer-download-for.htmlSAM 3.44 didn't work out of the box for me, it kept force closing. I then tried 3.4 and let it upgrade to 3.44. This worked for some reason.I have the napkin effect on my device as well, but it doesn't bother me (which is surprising, because i expected it to).Video playback is much better than I anticipated. I was able to playback a 400x240.mp4 video at 1200kbs with no problems, in full screen no less. I also noticed that 800kbs looks about the same, so I am using that to keep file sizes smaller. I used WinFF to do the conversion (http://winff.org/html_new/downloads.html). There is a preset for Android in there, I used it and then used "Options" to manually set the bitrate (800kbs), FPS (20), resolution (400x240), and aspect ratio (16:9). I also chose 2 pass. This makes the conversion take longer, but is supposed to improve the video output (it probably doesn't make a difference). You can edit presets so that you do not have to change these settings over and over. I have attached a preset that you can import into winFF. Just remove the .txt from the end.Overall I am very pleased with the m001. Some people have pumped it up (maybe more than it should be), but many, many more have called the device crap, which is completely untrue. There are several applications and uses for the EKEN m001, and with the right ROM, this thing can kick some serious arse! That is all for now, I will post additional findings later.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nice post! Exactly what I have said from the beginning. Give the device a chance. Right tool for the right job. I love mine and can't wait for more of these devices. I have not been able to put my M001 down since it arrived.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey.I agree. I don't have got our 3 units yet. But I am reading here a lot and also in the net. I have sometimes that feeling, that some guy's are "buying a SMART Mobil and like to start racing Formula 1" - what is not working. I am sure that the EKEN reader are absolutly doing what there are made for: ebook reader and browsing.For guy's they like to have more power. Why not going after this unit?http://www.ttodm.com/?product-484.html But you have to order around 500 units. :'(Best regards

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a couple more quick things. My Speaker started making a crackling and hissing noise, but when I tap it, it stops. Probably a loose connections, I am thinking about replacing it with a better one anyway.My Battery life is getting better the more I use the device. I am not sure why, but letting it drain down to zero and then charging it back to 100 helps build battery memory I suppose (that is the myth anyway).I cannot use the default video player anymore. There is no way (that I can find) to disable the player control through "shaking" the device, which on the m001, mean tilting it ever so slightly. I have switched to just the standard Video Player.apk (I can't remember where I got it, but I will upload it was I get home from work). I think it works better than the default at playback, and doesn't change tracks and FF/RW when you tilt your device.I am also using xScope Browser now, and it is faster than the default. I scrolls very smooth and uses the volume + and - to scroll up and down. Very recommended.A small question here. Is there any way to force apps to display in fullscreen? Several apps that I have tried only take up the top left quarter of the screen. Many of these are simple JAR ports of gameloft games. Some are native android apps. It is very annoying when the app won't use the whole screen. Thanks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi,I don't think there is a chance to run them in fullscreen. Some apps are hardcoded to a specific resolution (320*240?).

·
Registered
19 Posts
my general obs from a total android (and any tablet/modern touch phone device) newbie:generic oem eken m001 arrived exactly 10 days after payment.Packaged - was out of original packaging, but the unit was fully charged and all the applications were in english.the charger was a 2 pin 9v output with a uk adapter: dodgy adapter or what! barely sits the 2 pins in it and has to be wiggled to work properly. (BUT it works)USB cable was a tight fit and i thought i'd broken it, but once in was a good connection to the windows xp desktoptook 45-60 seconds to boot to home screen.Android 1.6 oswas responsive to touch and ds styuseverything works lovely, i managed to install 2 .apk game packs with no prior knowledge of how to do it just by playing around and getting used to it.Can't get wi-fi to work but i'm sure this is an error on my part

·
Registered
11 Posts
[quote author=hilltopper06 link=topic=678.msg6177#msg6177 date=1276002636]...I am also using xScope Browser now, and it is faster than the default. I scrolls very smooth and uses the volume + and - to scroll up and down. Very recommended....[/quote]Hello everyone. And hello hilltopper06. Just wondered if you had a link or anything for the xScope Browser? What version have you got? Is it the lite version? I like the idea of using the + and - keys for scrolling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts