61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·

·
Registered
7 Posts
Provide your NAND flash total space - (settings->storage). Also, internal storage used & free for applications - (settings->Manage applications).

The only other differences are in build.prop; which could but should not cause an issue for your tablet and the installed/removed apps which also should not affect your tablet either.
Well, I see that NAND flash have more than enough free space - 5.81 total, 5. 8 0 avilable (it's 8GB type of tablet). Internal storage looks really low: (107 MB used, 397 free).

Maybe I'm doing something wrong during deployment? But it's even simplier than with Roman FW - just press menu while connecting (or turning on the device/both), add image and click restore so I don't think so... I've tried multiple times, re-downloaded file with FW image, always after deployment of SDK2.1 FW tablet screen is black.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
....click restore so I don't think so... I've tried multiple times, re-downloaded file with FW image, always after deployment of SDK2.1 FW tablet screen is black.
After you press restore. Firmware will download to tablet. Then firmware gets checked. If you get green light, then good. If you get red light, then check failed. After checking firmware, tablet will get command to boot up and start formatting the partitions. Then will reboot into Android.

Are you getting green light after check? Does check go to 100%? Check must go to 100% or else it fails. Also, check log folder and latest log file for any errors and report them here. If successful, you will see something like this:

20:06:38 480 Rockchip Batch Tool v1.4.0.0 start run
20:07:11 649 <Layer 2-1-1> Test Device Start
20:07:11 663 <Layer 2-1-1> Test Device Success
20:07:11 673 <Layer 2-1-1> Lowerformat Device Start
20:07:19 695 <Layer 2-1-1> Lowerformat Device Success
20:07:19 705 <Layer 2-1-1> Test Device Start
20:07:19 716 <Layer 2-1-1> Test Device Success
20:07:19 731 <Layer 2-1-1> Download Firmware Start
20:11:50 523 <Layer 2-1-1> Download Firmware Success
20:11:50 538 <Layer 2-1-1> Reset Device Start
20:11:51 548 <Layer 2-1-1> Reset Device Success
Do restore first and if not work, then push upgrade. One person said restore would not work for them but upgrade did.

I will upload original K8GT firmware on MediaFire for you to test out. If K8GT firmware does not work, then neither will the one I have released. If K8GT firmware does, then something I added, probably to build.prop, that your tablet does not like.

You have 512MB for App install space. I increased this to 1.2GB. About 2.5X bigger.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·

·
Registered
7 Posts
Huh, thanks Nickos-V. I'm afraid I've bricked my device for a while... I was working on getting it up again, so I was focused on something else

I just got it on Roman FW (again), and will try it this evening. Funny thing is that Your method was working - for a moment. After update I've seen informations on screen about device formatting, and half minute later it was bricked :/

So, I'll try to upload that K8GT v1.06 firmware and let You know about results

EDIT:
I've just finished restore (screen black) and update (screen information about formatting, then restart and... black screen). Of course both "Done Success<1> Fail<0>". So I guess I have unique device in some way :/ Well, Roman's FW have to be enough for me :/

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
EDIT:
I've just finished restore (screen black) and update (screen information about formatting, then restart and... black screen). Of course both "Done Success<1> Fail<0>". So I guess I have unique device in some way :/ Well, Roman's FW have to be enough for me :/
Ok. Looks like your device flashed, formatted the partitions and probably was trying to reboot. Maybe something different with your hardware to not work but interesting that Roman's i7 firmware is working well for you.

"Done Success<1> Fail<0>"
This shows that flashing your device went well.

I had problem with firmware sent by BigStan and had to try flashing multiple times before it would take.

If you are up for it, try:
#1. use old tools to Erase IDB 3X because old OS maybe left behind?
#2. press reset button before connecting tablet to PC to ensure it is in off state (not in standby).
#3. restart your laptop/desktop to ensure the driver is working properly. I mostly do standby which can affect the Rockchip driver.
#4. switch between restore & upgrade.

Try, erase IDB 3X, disconnect tablet, reboot computer, push reset on tablet, connect tablet to computer & use restore to flash the firmware. etc.,

Try those with about 15 different flashes. If it does not work by then, you can give up and stick with Roman's firmware.

With BigStan's firmware, my tablet had formatted 3 different times with 3 flashes but would not start up afterwords. I would get black screen. The firmware does not always take right away for some reason. It can be kinda picky about starting up the very first time but after that works fantastic.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey, Nickos-V, could you help me out?
Have you tried to unpack boot.img/recovery.img/kernel.img of the last V3 ROM? What tools to use (where to look for instructions)?
I'm just trying to compile a CM7 for our device and am looking for recovery.fstab file - supposedly it's in recovery.img somewhere (could be in boot.img too)...
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Just to check, does the microSD card issue still exist in v3 of this custom ROM?
Yes it does but to lesser extent. Only happens when booting or shutting down tablet. I believe problem is in Rockchip's kernel source since I believe to have seen it affecting other RK2918 SDK2 tablet firmware.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Flashed to your firmware a few weeks ago, forgot to post here. The tablet is much faster to boot and while in operation in general, so thank you very much. Battery life is also much improved. If you ever manage to get the camera working again, please do! I play a mod of the Mount & Blade - Warband game, and I play as cavalry. When there's good weather, and a non-cavalry map shows up for the current round, I'll typically set up a Skype call between my laptop and tablet, then take the tablet outside with me while listening for the end of the round. Would be better to use the camera to see what's going on rather than listening for the end of all the screaming

Again, thank you for this

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Any plans to continue the improvement of the v3 of the updated firmware? Is a v4 expected?
I only do customized firmware with optimized build.prop based off Cube's original firmware. I do not compile anything myself. That makes things much easier and quicker for me.

Seems to me that Cube stopped supporting the original K8GT which is compatible to i7. I see no more firmware releases for original K8GT. They have couple different versions of K8GT. They still release firmware for K8GT Deluxe and 2 of the newer K8GT models but those do not have working WiFi for us. So, no V4 expected.

I am more interested in replacing this tablet. I would love 8" but may go with 9.7 or 10" because brand is more important than size. I want tablet with higher resolution. 800x480 is kinda low for reading text & Internet. With RK3066 or 8726-MX ARM chip. 1 GB RAM. 8 GB ROM. Maybe with IPS screen.

Some games do not work with i7. They crash upon start. Games should work better and not crash with Mali400 GPU and 1 GB RAM. Also, those newer ARM chips will be much faster too.

PS, not adding any webcam support because #1. very important - I never use the camera myself, #2. more work than I want to put in and #3. I hope to replace this tablet in 2-4 months time with something better, #4. see #1 =). Sorry.

PPS, these tablets are kinda limited with 512MB RAM. Too many programs start up on boot and take up the RAM. #2. Much better tablets are coming with 8726-MX & RK3066 (dual core) which will have more CPU & GPU power. I am looking forward to grab one of these. Just waiting to see what choices become available. Cube & Onda look really good to me for build quality, design and firmware support.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Indeed, Cube and Onda seem to have good firmware support. I am considering Teclast as well. I think the main limitation is the lack of firmware support and the 512MB RAM. Competing tablets are just equipped with much better specs to make it less worthwhile to stick to Wopad i7.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Indeed, Cube and Onda seem to have good firmware support. I am considering Teclast as well. I think the main limitation is the lack of firmware support and the 512MB RAM. Competing tablets are just equipped with much better specs to make it less worthwhile to stick to Wopad i7.
The Wopad I7 is good for most stuff except for high-end 3D gaming. I had multiple games that crash and will not start. GPU or graphics driver incompatibility issue? Like Pyramid Rising, Temple Run, etc. Those games look fun to play but I am unable to do so with the I7. Also, GPU is weaker @ higher-end 3D gaming.

Teclast makes sturdy tablets but firmware support is tad on slow side. I checked. Cube, Onda & Yuandao do fairly well for firmware. Ainol, big mess with firmware though their tablets look very nice. =)

I was looking @ A7HD. Really nice IPS display but has weak WiFi & screen flickers on high brightness. Onda VI60 Elite looks really good but in 1-2 months dual cores will be out. So, best to wait for them but no fun do so!!! =)

Next tablet I get will have 1 GB RAM. 8 (or 16) GB ROM. High-end TFT or IPS display. Minimum of 1024x600 for 16:9. 1024x768 for 4:3. To have crisper text and game graphics. HDMI. Dual core (RK3066, 8726-MX or Tegra3). Still undecided on size. Last, from a company with good firmware support. So, they will fix bugs and give me more stable and updated OS. I think everyone should look for the same for their next tablet.

PS, sorry for off-topic post. Later,

·
Registered
91 Posts
The Wopad I7 is good for most stuff except for high-end 3D gaming. I had multiple games that crash and will not start. GPU or graphics driver incompatibility issue? Like Pyramid Rising, Temple Run, etc. Those games look fun to play but I am unable to do so with the I7. Also, GPU is weaker @ higher-end 3D gaming.

Teclast makes sturdy tablets but firmware support is tad on slow side. I checked. Cube, Onda & Yuandao do fairly well for firmware. Ainol, big mess with firmware though their tablets look very nice. =)

I was looking @ A7HD. Really nice IPS display but has weak WiFi & screen flickers on high brightness. Onda VI60 Elite looks really good but in 1-2 months dual cores will be out. So, best to wait for them but no fun do so!!! =)

Next tablet I get will have 1 GB RAM. 8 (or 16) GB ROM. High-end TFT or IPS display. Minimum of 1024x600 for 16:9. 1024x768 for 4:3. To have crisper text and game graphics. HDMI. Dual core (RK3066, 8726-MX or Tegra3). Still undecided on size. Last, from a company with good firmware support. So, they will fix bugs and give me more stable and updated OS. I think everyone should look for the same for their next tablet.

PS, sorry for off-topic post. Later,
Indeed. Wopad i7 came out when most Android tablets were having 512MB RAM but it is no longer the case and games for Android are getting much more advanced. I am looking at Onda, Cube or Teclast for my next Android tablet. I definitely need 1GB RAM like my Xiaomi phone.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just went ahead and upgraded my Wopiad i7 to Nickos' V3 firmware. I went by the 'Upgrade' option. May I know if bootscreen is one with some Chinese characters?

My build number is 1.04. Is that the latest?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I just went ahead and upgraded my Wopiad i7 to Nickos' V3 firmware. I went by the 'Upgrade' option. May I know if bootscreen is one with some Chinese characters?

My build number is 1.04. Is that the latest?
Yes, V3 is the latest though I forgot to change 1.04 to 1.06 in build.prop. That is where that info comes from. My V3 is based off K8GT v1.06 firmware.

Upgrade should leave your data partition intact but I changed the parameter file for more application storage space. So, your partitions would not align properly if data partition was not re-created and left untouched. Restore is better option here because I changed partition areas. Restore will recreate and format all the partitions. ie, ensure there are no partition alignment issues

Both the boot logo & boot animation have Chinese characters. I did slight modification to the boot animation from the original.

No HDMI or camera support because K8GT does not have these.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes, V3 is the latest though I forgot to change 1.04 to 1.06 in build.prop. That is where that info comes from. My V3 is based off K8GT v1.06 firmware.

Upgrade should leave your data partition intact but I changed the parameter file for more application storage space. So, your partitions would not align properly if data partition was not re-created and left untouched. Restore is better option here because I changed partition areas. Restore will recreate and format all the partitions. ie, ensure there are no partition alignment issues

Both the boot logo & boot animation have Chinese characters. I did slight modification to the boot animation from the original.

No HDMI or camera support because K8GT does not have these.
So far so good. It is a much needed upgrade as I was using a customised version of Roman's and your 1.28 firmware.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I did tried using Restore twice but it wasn't successful so I switch to Upgrade instead. Booting is much faster and hopefully can prolong the life span of my device before I switch to a 1GB RAM tablet.

I was looking at Teclast P75HD until I saw Roman's review.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I was looking at Teclast P75HD until I saw Roman's review.
P75HD is using AllWinner A10 ARM chip. This is only about 30% better than what you have now. Better to get tablet with either RK3066 or 8726-MX (AKA 8726-M6) which are 1.5GHz dual core CPUs + dual or quad core GPUs. Those are more powerful ARM chips and will give 250% or more performance to what you have today. RK3066 is better choice out of the two and one that I prefer but either one should be good to get.

Ainol Elf-II w/TFT screen (out now: $125 or less shipped) and Aurora-II w/IPS screen (out end of June: pre-order for $160 or less shipped) both use 8726-M6 chip. Only downside is that Flash in web browser, BBC iPlayer & Netflix may not work properly or well. Otherwise Youtube app and everything else will work really fast and great. Or wait 3-4 months for other companies, like Onda or Cube, to release 7" 8726-MX or RK3066 tablets. Cube may use RK3066 for 7" since that is what their 9.7 & 10.1" tablets are switching over to.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts