Android Tablets Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I cannot get the update to take at all it tries to check the update then fails did I do something wrong or am just doing it right with the wrong order or something?? Downloaded latest update I found on this forum copied to root of internal memory as well as my 16gb card just to make sure it was read. Volume up for 5 seconds while powering up. This is how I flashed the original rooted rom or do I need to prep the tab first by removing the data/apps folder before flashing? Sorry for all the questions just my first time hacking in the droid world.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe I haven't it read it correctly but I can't figure out how to get rid of this 108mb 7" firmware that I have installed on my 9" PDN. I have tried everything that I can think of and it will not disappear. It won't recognize a SD card and everythime I hook it to my computer I only show 2 files on it. If I try and add the polaris_update.dat, the firmware deletes it. Holding the volume up+pwr does not work. What am I doing wrong and how do I get rid of this other firmware (step-by-step please)?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used roebeet's flash file and Link2SD, partitioned a 32G SD into 22G and 10G
Works on my Black Canadian Model#PRD09TW-R90A200, HW Platform RD201-2GB-W

so just a couple of questions...

what benefit does froyo 2.2 provide over roebeet's flash and Link2SD?
and
if the internal 256M and 1.33G are system(OS) and user(data) space, does that mean about 512M RAM for running programs?

I'm thinking, 1G ram, 1G for OS and the SD for everything else would give my cheap little tablet a lot of elbow room.

thanks for all your hacking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! I'm not sure if this is still maintained.

But thanks for the instructions how to configure the init.rc. I played around with it a little bit and tried to move both, the /data/data and /data/dalvik-cache to the internal sd card.

I created some more folders as /data/mtp/sd_data and /data/mtp/sd_dalvik-cache. All seems to be fine, however I am running into a couple of issues.

No performance seems to be degraded when dalvik-cache runs from sd. But objectively it takes a little longer to compile the packages (only once, not a problem if they are already there). This seems to be the biggest improvement memory wise. The cached packages can be quite big and will never be cleared filling up the internal memory very fast.

*) How can I make sure /data/mtp is not remounted ro in case of an error? For some reason the OS sometimes changes permissions on the SD card. This looks like is done when the SD card is actually "scanned".

Which leads me to the next question:

*) How can I avoid the OS mounting the internal SD card? I am fine with the external and I am mounting it myself as a block device (init.rc). But I want to avoid that it shows up as a drive in e.g. Windows.

And finally:

*) I seem to have troubles installing apks with dalvik-cache on SD. For some reason I am getting a

C:\Users\Jurgen\Pandigital>adb install -rls app\Android_Hackers_System_Tool-460982.apk
2106 KB/s (293335 bytes in 0.136s)
pkg: /data/local/tmp/Android_Hackers_System_Tool-460982.apk
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_DEXOPT]

error. And I am not sure why this happens. Unknown pacakges are not blocked or anything. If I install those into a the local cache folder, it seems to work. Even if I then switch the cache folder to the SD card after I install the apps (and delete the dalvik-cache). Packages are re-created just fine. It's just the install does not work. Can this be a problem of the symbolic link? Or that the cache is on a VFAT volume? Can I somehow make the SD a native FS (is Android useing ext2 or something?).

Would really be nice to solve this. I am still running low on memory by moving app and data only. The cache could be a big contributor to actually move apps to the SD card (or we'll simply get and 2.2 Froyo kernel).

Help is appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! I'm not sure if this is still maintained.

But thanks for the instructions how to configure the init.rc. I played around with it a little bit and tried to move both, the /data/data and /data/dalvik-cache to the internal sd card.

I created some more folders as /data/mtp/sd_data and /data/mtp/sd_dalvik-cache. All seems to be fine, however I am running into a couple of issues.

No performance seems to be degraded when dalvik-cache runs from sd. But objectively it takes a little longer to compile the packages (only once, not a problem if they are already there). This seems to be the biggest improvement memory wise. The cached packages can be quite big and will never be cleared filling up the internal memory very fast.

*) How can I make sure /data/mtp is not remounted ro in case of an error? For some reason the OS sometimes changes permissions on the SD card. This looks like is done when the SD card is actually "scanned".

Which leads me to the next question:

*) How can I avoid the OS mounting the internal SD card? I am fine with the external and I am mounting it myself as a block device (init.rc). But I want to avoid that it shows up as a drive in e.g. Windows.

And finally:

*) I seem to have troubles installing apks with dalvik-cache on SD. For some reason I am getting a

C:\Users\Jurgen\Pandigital>adb install -rls app\Android_Hackers_System_Tool-460982.apk
2106 KB/s (293335 bytes in 0.136s)
pkg: /data/local/tmp/Android_Hackers_System_Tool-460982.apk
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_DEXOPT]

error. And I am not sure why this happens. Unknown pacakges are not blocked or anything. If I install those into a the local cache folder, it seems to work. Even if I then switch the cache folder to the SD card after I install the apps (and delete the dalvik-cache). Packages are re-created just fine. It's just the install does not work. Can this be a problem of the symbolic link? Or that the cache is on a VFAT volume? Can I somehow make the SD a native FS (is Android useing ext2 or something?).

Would really be nice to solve this. I am still running low on memory by moving app and data only. The cache could be a big contributor to actually move apps to the SD card (or we'll simply get and 2.2 Froyo kernel).

Help is appreciated, thanks
I am answering my own question here. This is much easier than it looks. Just format the internal SD card with an ext2 file format and mount it as /data.

To format the internal SD use the build in busybox.

C:\Users\Jurgen\Pandigital>adb shell
#busybox mkfs.ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p3

busybox does not have a built in command to format as ext3, but ext2 will do just fine. Warning! Windows will complain that it can't read this drive! Cancel when it asks you to format this! This SD card will not be readable from windows any more!

Change the /init.rc. Most of the changes are not necessary. Simply mount the SD card as data. That's all. All symlinks are not needed any more.

Somewhere here (/init.rc):

# mount mtd partitions
# Mount /system rw first to give the filesystem a chance to save a checkpoint
###### mount the internal SD card as ext2.
mkdir /data 0777 system system
mount ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /data
#
chown system system /data
chmod 0771 /data

Works fine after. I got 1.5GB for the /data drive! incl. /data/app, /data/dalvik-cache, /data/data

Here:
# df
df
/: 247919K total, 133431K used, 114488K available (block size 1024)
/: 247919K total, 133431K used, 114488K available (block size 1024)
/dev: 101476K total, 24K used, 101452K available (block size 4096)
/tmp: 32768K total, 0K used, 32768K available (block size 4096)
/sqlite_stmt_journals: 4096K total, 0K used, 4096K available (block size 4096)
/data: 1340948K total, 23232K used, 1317716K available (block size 4096)
/system/update: 148742K total, 5664K used, 143078K available (block size 1024)
# mount
mount
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext3 rw,noatime,errors=continue,data=ordered 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw,size=32768k 0 0
tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /data ext2 rw,errors=continue 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /system/update ext3 rw,errors=continue,data=ordered 0 0
#

Oh, yes, if you do that. All your data will be lost. It works best to start this with all user data reset first. Also, delete the /data folder before you reboot.

Should also work with external SD. You could probably format it as ext3 using linux and then use "ext3" to mount it. You could probably partition the external SD to have a vfat and an ext partition there.

I'll do more tests. But that quite awesome.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, My black pandigital 9" doesn't let me upgrade to trm_sdapp.opdn9.1.3 is in updating and restarts with the old, I have installed the bpdn9.opdn9.1.2, these are some of the data:

opdn9

nucleo 2.6.29

hardware plataforma rd201-2gb-w

aplicacion package s6410_pp2_bbb_2010_18

that could be happening?

Sorry for my bad english

·
Registered
1 Posts
I downloaded the OPDN9 firmware from robeet, rooted with z4root and while editing the init.rc file and repartitioning the external SD into ext2, I lost root and now cannot modify it back. It was working well but I just wanted to move apps to the SD card. Now the status still shows I am on the revised rom, but cannot reroot or edit the init.rc file. How can I factory reset or go back to where I was and forget about app2sd? Froyo anyone?

Slatedroid-opdn9

kernel 2.6.29

hardware plataforma rd201-2gb-w

aplicacion package s6410_pp2_bbb_2010_18

android version Eclair

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried the manual version of post #10 and got

C:\Temp>adb shell ls -l /data
drwxrwxrwx system system 2013-03-17 15:52 BookDB
drwx------ system system 2013-03-21 13:51 backup
drwxrwx--x shell shell 2013-03-18 09:21 local
drwxrwx--x system system 2013-03-21 12:14 dalvik-cache
drwxr-x--- root log 2013-03-18 09:21 dontpanic
drwxrwx--x system system 2013-03-21 12:14 data
drwxrwx--x system system 2013-03-18 09:21 app-private
drwxrwx--t system misc 2013-03-18 09:21 misc
lrwxrwxrwx root root 2013-03-21 13:50 app -> /data/mtp/sd_app
drwxrwxrwx root root 2013-03-21 13:22 property
drwxrwxrwx root root 2013-03-21 13:50 mtp
drwxrwx--- root root 2013-03-18 09:21 lost+found
drwxrwx--x system system 2013-03-21 11:16 anr
drwxrwxr-x system system 2013-03-21 13:51 system

Although the app directory is pointing to /data/mtp/sd_app I am still getting the low memory message. Am I missing a step possibly? Also tell me if you need any additional debug info and I will post it. BTW here is the section of init.rc that I changed:

# REK ##############
# mkdir /data 0771 system system
mkdir /data/mtp 0777 system system
mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /data/mtp
mkdir /data/mtp/sd_app 0777 system system
symlink /data/mtp/sd_app /data/app
chown system system /data/app
chmod 0777 /data/app
# end REK ##############

41 - 48 of 48 Posts