Android Tablets Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, still Eclair..
JUST RUN: the update ROM in link in post 10!

It's suppose to create some directories & stuff.... I tried the manual method also... but never found those directories. It doesn't run out of RAM though!! haha lol I have no idea why not. I bought 3 tablets on Black Friday, when I get some time I'll look back into what happened to make it work... but it does!

EDIT:
3 tablets:
1. Big lots PD9 $79- I like this the least, even with the big screen, will probably either return or sell on Craigslist. Biggest issue is I've found NO droid updates (to froyo, GB, HC, ICS) I'd think at least froyo would work fine... anyone find a ROM flash for froyo?
2. Best Buy $79: Great, fast, Android 2.33 stock, plug in usb keyboard & mouse works great
3. Target $79: 2 regular sized USB ports, takes all kind of USB input (key, mouse) ,etc..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

Found my error.

On first boot, /data/app should be created as a link to sd_app, but it can't be created if it already exists and it shouldn't exist after a flash. Roebeet however included some preinstalled apps in the flash, which created /data/app. Just delete /data/app and reboot.

I will fix the flash.

Hopefully the flash is fixed. In my original post I instructed you to delete /data/app, that is because there is no direct init.rc command to do this and with good reason. The scripting language in the flash file doesn't give an example of deleting, but hopefully it will work. If not I will need to drop the 3 files Roebeet has there.

http://www.mediafire.com/?tobhxz9zercs5to

#
got the file onto the unit, tried the same flash method as the previous one where i hold the power and volume button for six seconds, and it looks like it's doing something then just boots like normal. all my stuff is there still on the device, and am getting damaged SD card and still the same low phone storage space error. The memory card is a brand new 32gb card. Just wondering if I am missing something here.

thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, I have attempted to do this and I am not sure it worked correctly. I downloaded the file to the SD card and flashed it using the instructions.

Using the ES file explorer all my .apk files are stored in /system/app/ folder. The /sdcard foler only has the following subfolders:

- TunnyBrowser
- media
-DCIM
-Books
-backups
-albumthumbs

Also, I can't get my pc to read any of these folders, the only time I get any kind of reading of folders when connected to the PC is when the tablet is on, and I only can see this:

.adobe-digital-editions (even though I deleted this before the flash)
eBooks
Music
Photos
Videos
LOST.DIR

The out of space messages have stopped, but I can't seem to get any sort of available space reading for the various subfolders.

Can anyone comment on my thoughts and let me know if I am on the right path or have I gone down a rabbit hole?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, still Eclair..
JUST RUN: the update ROM in link in post 10!

It's suppose to create some directories & stuff.... I tried the manual method also... but never found those directories. It doesn't run out of RAM though!! haha lol I have no idea why not. I bought 3 tablets on Black Friday, when I get some time I'll look back into what happened to make it work... but it does!

EDIT:
3 tablets:
1. Big lots PD9 $79- I like this the least, even with the big screen, will probably either return or sell on Craigslist. Biggest issue is I've found NO droid updates (to froyo, GB, HC, ICS) I'd think at least froyo would work fine... anyone find a ROM flash for froyo?
2. Best Buy $79: Great, fast, Android 2.33 stock, plug in usb keyboard & mouse works great
3. Target $79: 2 regular sized USB ports, takes all kind of USB input (key, mouse) ,etc..
I have been playing around with this for a couple of days, I think maybe why teradogbyte got terminanders flash to work was we have a internal sd and external sd maybe most of us are trying to flash with the external card in causing terminanders flash to quit, reason being the script for the link gets confused because there is 2 sd cards in and it doesn't know which one to make it on. I know nothing about this stuff it was just a thought I haven't tried flashing his rom with out the external sd yet. If anyone would like to try and report back that would be great.
I am however going to also try partitioning the internal sd card and using link2sd.apk and see if I can move some apps over from the nand to free up space.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been playing around with this for a couple of days, I think maybe why teradogbyte got terminanders flash to work was we have a internal sd and external sd maybe most of us are trying to flash with the external card in causing terminanders flash to quit, reason being the script for the link gets confused because there is 2 sd cards in and it doesn't know which one to make it on. I know nothing about this stuff it was just a thought I haven't tried flashing his rom with out the external sd yet. If anyone would like to try and report back that would be great.
I am however going to also try partitioning the internal sd card and using link2sd.apk and see if I can move some apps over from the nand to free up space.
Update: don't partition your internal sd card unless you know what you are doing!! I just finally got through the process and the PDN would not read the internal memory card nor would my computer. I'm trying to flash back to what I had before hoping I get it back...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update: don't partition your internal sd card unless you know what you are doing!! I just finally got through the process and the PDN would not read the internal memory card nor would my computer. I'm trying to flash back to what I had before hoping I get it back...
Update 2: Could not recover my internal sd card
and my thery about the to sd cards confusing the script "busted" flashing with just one card didn't
work either. So I plan on ordering a 7 inch white of ebay with 2 16g cards a skin and a case for 140.00 dollars free shipping...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for looking at this.

I tried your revised ROM. It doesn't seem to take. I can't read the
error message (if any) but after a minute or two of trying to load
it skips out and boots the original ROM.

I then tried deleting /data/app which had in it six or seven APKs I had downloaded.
After a reboot all those Apps reappeared (I had thought they would be gone!) but
now the Apks are sitting where we wanted them - on the internal virtual SD card.
BUT, it looks like their support files, libs and data are still in the "phone" memory
in /data/data.
Can some one please tell me how to delete /data/app, is this through a program? I am VERY new to this thing! Thanks in advance

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been trying to make link2app work, but failed. All attempts at inserting any type of dual, or triple partitioned sdcard into the
device report as damaged sdcard. From what I can tell, PDN9 cannot read multipartitioned sdcards at all. Yes my phone is rooted, and have
been using rom manager premium, which has no recovery rom for this tablet to work. Tried other root tools, nothing addresses the cannot
read the sdcard error.

*triple partitioned card has primary, ext3, and linux swap partition

·
Registered
17 Posts
Terminal on bootup is normally through a serial cable to your PC. No the black novels don't really support this, but thats more for boot logging not what your after.

You can do this with a terminal shell on the novel or ADB and your PC.

Android's version of the mount command doesn't seem to support directly mounting a directory. So a combination of mounting and symbolic links will do the trick. A straight symbolic link will work, but you'll loose it when connected with Usb.

You need to edit your init.rc file to make it survive a reboot. This is almost easy on the black novels as they don't use a ramdisk.

This works on the 7" black and should work on the 9" unchanged. If you mess it up no permanent damage. You would just reflash the firmware. I assume your using the firmware from here, which is unlocked and rooted.

First of all you should copy your /data/app folder so you don't loose all the apps you installed. Hard to do with Adb, and Android doesn't have a direct copy command. You can use your sdcard, but things fail if you remove it. Or you can use the internal virtual sdcard PD_Novel.

Adb: usb

mkdir tmp
adb pull /data/app tmp

Use windows to copy the files from tmp to your PD_Novel or sdcard. Install them in a folder called "sd_app".

Shell/Terminal: no usb

su
mkdir /PD_Novel/sd_app
or /sdcard/sd_app
cd /data/app
mv * /PD_Novel/sd_app

Not sure about the mv command syntax, but worse case you loose your installed apps.

Now you need to edit your "init.rc" file. With adb pull it to the PC, use Wordpad or Notepad++ to edit and push it back. In a terminal you would use "vi" to edit it. Some terminals support a graphic vi which is easy, I don't know the commands for a text base vi. Once you set the permissions you might even be able to edit using office or similar.

What you want to do in the init.rc file:
Stop the creation of /data/app
Mount the PD_Novel or scdard
Create /data/app as a link to PD_Novel/sd_app

So look for
mkdir /data/app 0771 system system
and change to:

# terminander #####################
#mkdir /data/app 0771 system system
mkdir /data/mtp 0777 system system
mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /data/mtp
#mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /data/mtp
for sdcard
mkdir /data/mtp/sd_app 0777 system system
symlink /data/mtp/sd_app /data/app
chown system system /data/app
chmod 0777 /data/app
# end terminander ######################

Adb:
adb pull init.rc

edit file
adb remount
adb push init.rc /

Shell/terminal:
su
mount -o remount rw system system
chmod 777 init.rc
vi init.rc

edit file and save

One last thing to do. You can't recreate /data/app if it already exists.

Adb:

adb shell rm -r /data/app
adb reboot

Shell/Terminal:

rm -r /data/app
reboot

If all went well, /data/app is on the internal sdcard.

Adb:
adb shell ls -l /data
adb shell ls /data/app

Shell/Terminal:
ls -l /data
ls /data/app

I have attached Android_Hacker, which will give you a graphical VI editor in a terminal. Just change the zip ending to apk and install.

View attachment 2715
Hi terminander,,,

I'm new to the Pandigital 9 inch novel and have had a lot of trouble getting a firmware upgrade and APPS that will work. I will try this out.

Tks, giantkiller

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the PDN 9" (RR90L200)running the "bpdn9.opdn9.1.3" firmware. It runs great and really do not have issues with it except for not being able to run APPS2SD. I have tried many of the partition scheme that I found via Google search and none of them worked. This appears to be a limitation of Eclair 2.0.

If this is not possible then why does the PDN 9" (RR90L200) not use the remainder of the internal 2gb? Device report 1.33gb available. 256Mb does just not cut it and can only install a few apps before getting the low space warning. Is there a way to tell apk's to install in the available free space?

On another topic I see a lot of references to Exlair being 2.1, but my device does show Eclair 2.0. Can anyone explain?

Thanks,
Niles
Hi Niles,,

From what I have been to find out is that Eclair was released with both 2.0 and 2.1,, I assume they started shipping with ver 2.0 and when 2.1 was released they continued shipping with the update.

giantkiller

·
Registered
14 Posts
I found exactly the same thing on mine - although it does appear that the error messages have stopped. I can't seem to delete any of the preloaded .apk's however to free up space.
IF there is no solution to LOW SPACE on PDN 9, then its useless to root...afterall cant install many applications

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hold on, Rafiraza!! The BPDN 9 in can still be a pretty good tablet for the price (if you got it for one of the Black Friday deals).

Anyway, I just posted instructions on how to get Link2SD working on the BPDN in the thread for Roebeet's upgraded firmware. I have plenty of room for apps now. Please check it out if you are interested.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you Roebeet for your OS upgrade/download.
Thank you Terminander for giving me access to my internal sd (for storing apps).
Thank you Nicksdad for giving me access to my external sd (for storing apps).

I now have 110 working apps on my pdn 9" and still room for more. No "low storage warning" coming up at all.
I think I started with maybe being able to put 2 large apps on it and maybe 5-6 small apps.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts