Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I found out about this cheap tablet Freelander PX2. It has a quad core MTK8389 1.2GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, 3G, dual SIM card slots, GPS, bluetooth, and 7-inch WSVGA (1024 x 600 pixels) display. The full specs of the tab are here: http://www.chinatabletreview.com/freelander-px2

This is one of the few tablets that have GPS, 3G, and dual sim. I think this would make a great gift. I am thinking of buying this one but I don't know about its performance yet. I am not so familiar with the CPU MT8389 and how it performs on tablets. Has anyone tried this tab? What are your experiences with it? Any opinion would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi! I found out about this cheap tablet Freelander PX2. It has a quad core MTK8389 1.2GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, 3G, dual SIM card slots, GPS, bluetooth, and 7-inch WSVGA (1024 x 600 pixels) display. The full specs of the tab are here: http://www.chinatabletreview.com/freelander-px2

This is one of the few tablets that have GPS, 3G, and dual sim. I think this would make a great gift. I am thinking of buying this one but I don't know about its performance yet. I am not so familiar with the CPU MT8389 and how it performs on tablets. Has anyone tried this tab? What are your experiences with it? Any opinion would be greatly appreciated.
Hey! You're right, the Freelander PX2 is cheap but also very value for money. It gives you the biggest bang for the buck!

I bought this tablet after comparing it with other Chinese tablets/phablets. I'd say if your budget is about 160USD shipped then this 7" Phablet is the perfect choice. The specs are as listed and feels true to them. It is a very speedy tablet. Processing wise as well as surfing with Wifi or 3G. I went to look for ways to root it. xda forum has a method and it works with the Freelander PX2.

Only relative cons are well its screen which isn't at least 720p for HD videos and the screen is slightly white-ish regarding its contrast. Something I've seen on alot of reviews for Chinese screens. Nothing major but just to know. I will see if I can get screenshots of benchmarks I've done (Antutu, Vellamo, 3DMark, Quadrant). The speaker is a just a little softer than brand names. Of course the important point is that you get what you paid for and I'd say the Freelander PX2 has every buck squeezed out for the best fit of hardware

One teeny weeny itch is perhaps its Processor which states MTK8389. On every benchmarking app it too shows the specs are all in order. Except for CPU Identifier app from Play Store as well as when you plug it in to your pc/laptop it shows it as MTK65xx. Nothing to go crazy over but for those who're really picky, it might bug you. Nevertheless it's extremely speedy. I'm really happy with it. I think if you tried it you would get one for yourself. I got one for myself and everyone wants one
Cheap and definitely good.

I tried rooting the device with "Framaroot-1.6.0.apk" and it works with this:
Thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2130276
Framaroot-1.6.0.apk Download Link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2164433&d=1375631419

Alternatively you can just visit this link with your phablet: http://bit.ly/easyrooting

Remember to allow installation of apps from unknown sources in your settings if you want to install it

Apparently geekbuying has some firmware updates. I'm not too sure what it is but I'd have a look and let you know http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php/2013/08/09/how-to-upgrade-freelander-px2-through-tf-card-stock-firmware-release/#.UgYJWZL06Sw

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the info! How about the cameras? Does it also perform well with games?
No worries
The cameras are really decent. Perhaps the LED flash is a little weak, other than that it's a good 5MP camera. Nothing to write home about but an okay camera. You should also know the camera app is pretty good too, multi-shots, panoramas, focusing etc. I was surprised it even has a time lapse option! I'll take screenshots of some benchmarks and perhaps make some sample shots/videos.

Regarding the "firmware update" from geekbuying. Not too sure what it is. Installed it but didn't see any difference.

One thing too, it seems to have a light OR proximity sensor but it doesn't seem to be working. Not detected. Not that I need it. A proximity sensor would be really sweet. There's an app on Play Store that can do that Airwave gesture like the S4. Haha see how it goes

·
Registered
9 Posts
A couple of pics of benchmarking and a picture taken by the camera in lowlight. I'll see if I can do some shots in the day. No issues with it whatsoever. Speedy as the day it came. With the ability to root, it unlocks all its potential! If xda forums see it's good enough they might even start a thread! Hope they do

I can't seem to use the image function so I'll give you my flickr set link. http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157635015276970/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The benchmark scores are pretty good already for a tablet within its price range! Camera is also good. Honestly I was expecting to see poor quality pictures but your low-light photo looks very decent to me.

Have you tried games with it? How does it perform with 3D games?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The benchmark scores are pretty good already for a tablet within its price range! Camera is also good. Honestly I was expecting to see poor quality pictures but your low-light photo looks very decent to me.

Have you tried games with it? How does it perform with 3D games?
Hey toffzter, I would say the camera is pretty good now that I've tried it. Only thing perhaps is the color or white balance. Then again many top end devices have that same problem of not getting the perfect color.

Nope to be honest I don't play any 3D games so I can't really comment on that. Any games in mind? I could give it a shot.

I added new pictures I took this morning. Take a look. It was cloudy too so take that in mind.

More pictures

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those pictures look good considering you took them on a cloudy day. Your tablet's camera may be real 5.0 megapixels. I'd have to say it is a great cam for a Chinese tablet.

I don't know too many games either but try playing Asphalt 7 since it is the latest of the Asphalt series. It probably would test your system's ability to handle 3D games.

Can somebody suggest a good 3D game to gauge the gaming performance of Freelander PX2?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Those pictures look good considering you took them on a cloudy day. Your tablet's camera may be real 5.0 megapixels. I'd have to say it is a great cam for a Chinese tablet.

I don't know too many games either but try playing Asphalt 7 since it is the latest of the Asphalt series. It probably would test your system's ability to handle 3D games.

Can somebody suggest a good 3D game to gauge the gaming performance of Freelander PX2?
I would think the camera sensors are genuine and true to the specifications however camera performance varies even with similar sensors even for brand name flagship devices.

Sorry I think Asphalt 7 is a paid app. I've tried Front Line Commando and its silky smooth.

I can use it right away upon booting with almost no lag. Excellent startup. If you do get one, root it and with root tools you can mod alot of stuff.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's great! I just might get one soon.

Another thing, what can you say about the battery and how long it lasts with moderate and heavy use? Did you also utilize two SIM cards or just one during those times?

Also, did you try it for calling, texting or other phone functions? How is the signal strength and call quality?

Sorry for asking too many questions. Just want to satisfy my curiosity.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's great! I just might get one soon.

Another thing, what can you say about the battery and how long it lasts with moderate and heavy use? Did you also utilize two SIM cards or just one during those times?

Also, did you try it for calling, texting or other phone functions? How is the signal strength and call quality?

Sorry for asking too many questions. Just want to satisfy my curiosity.

Thanks!
No worries, I would like to help as well! It's hard to judge objectively unless I've an app or something but with constant Wifi use I'd say about 8 hours or so? I've never managed to drain the battery down because I do charge it fairly often because I'd always like to have it fully charged haha. Nope I used just one because I don't have another SIM card too.

For phone functions I haven't explored it in great detail because I don't use a multi-SIM option although I'm tempted too. I'm on a budget so I'll stick to Wifi and tethering from my Nokia Lumia 720 for now. However my father who got one with me uses a 3G SIM and he says it's flawless. Wifi is perfect (we use ES File Manager to access shared folders on our home network and it can easily stream any full HD or large video files with ease). Another thing he noted compared to an older 7" ViewSonic tablet we had was that it almost doesn't heat up at all even with continuous usage.

Saw your post at xda forums. The HiSense Sero 7 Pro looks perfect to me! Especially if I don't use the SIM slot much or require 3G. Perhaps it's more of a media tablet than a phablet. Great screen, NFC and bigger battery although the whole tablet looks to be bigger than the PX2. The Freelander PX2 is really compact. I could use it as a phone comfortably

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi thegauntlet! Yeah I started a new thread at xda to let other people know how cool MT8389 tablets are. Actually, I have to give you credit for giving me that idea. =)

Anyway, I hope it attracts attention and encourages ROM developers to look more into MT8389 devices.

Freelander already seems perfect to me. But I'm still on the lookout for other great MT8389 tablets, like the HiSense Sero 7 Pro. It actually has very good specs for such a cheap price.

I can't thank you enough thegauntlet. You helped me a lot. You also made me realize that Chinese tablets are not just about Rockchip and Allwinner. There are always better alternatives. =)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi thegauntlet! Yeah I started a new thread at xda to let other people know how cool MT8389 tablets are. Actually, I have to give you credit for giving me that idea. =)

Anyway, I hope it attracts attention and encourages ROM developers to look more into MT8389 devices.

Freelander already seems perfect to me. But I'm still on the lookout for other great MT8389 tablets, like the HiSense Sero 7 Pro. It actually has very good specs for such a cheap price.

I can't thank you enough thegauntlet. You helped me a lot. You also made me realize that Chinese tablets are not just about Rockchip and Allwinner. There are always better alternatives. =)
That's great
I would love to have xda developers support this device! Yes however do remember HiSense Sero 7 Pro is 129USD without shipping and curently only available locally in the US, I suspect prices will increase or it will cost more to get it internationally. I can get Freelander PX2 at 155USD shipped with DHL, even lesser with multiple orders
There are always tradeoffs. Internal 3G with calling function and Dual SIM seems to be its only pro compared to the HiSense Sero 7 Pro but 3G is very important. Supposedly PX2 has Bluetooth 4.0 too (or so the specs claim).

I also see there's Tengda F5189. x800px screen with Front 2MP Rear 8MP however no HDMI output, no OTG. So far no devices stand our clearly. Each has its drawbacks or limitations so it's up to the user to decide which functions do they value more and perhaps also the price with shipping and type of shipping

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have downloaded the firmware update from freelanders site. I have tried the local update which run without error. I have not see version change i still have the 19th of July kernel. I guess the downloadable 2013/8 version means the 19th of July build.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
AS FOR 3D PERFORMANCE:

N80 (1024x768, RK3066)
3DMark ICE: 2568
3DMark ICE EXTREME: 1933

* ICE STORM is moderate 3D test. ICE STORM EXTREME is high-level 3D test.
EXTREME - "raises rendering resolution from 720p to 1080p and uses higher quality textures & post-processing effects." ie. shows how strong or weak the GPU is by using much higher resolution.

** These scores are based off tablet running Android 4.1 and using slightly higher resolution too.

My Quadrant 2D score is around 2X better for some reason. Cannot say if the problem is with Quadrant or weak 2D performance on MTK chip. Seems to score well with 2D on Antutu though. Maybe Quadrant using higher resolution for testing?

This chip is not the greatest choice for 3D gaming. RK3188 or A31 will do better. But, at 1024x600 should have 3D gaming performance similar to RK3066 & Tegra3. ie. pretty good still.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have downloaded the firmware update from freelanders site. I have tried the local update which run without error. I have not see version change i still have the 19th of July kernel. I guess the downloadable 2013/8 version means the 19th of July build.
Yes you are right. I think that firmware "update" is just a release of the stock one for people to fully reset everything. Did you notice a proximity/light like sensor on the right of the phone speaker in front?

Freelander seems to be on the right track with the PX2. Hope to see more support of it.

For the price and functions, I cannot fault it. My dad's PX2 keeps restarting
although I've not had any problems running it for extended periods. Also my power button has lost the "click" feeling. Perhaps the button design is weak. It still is able to function and I don't have a problem considering its price.
Freelander seems promising!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AS FOR 3D PERFORMANCE:

N80 (1024x768, RK3066)
3DMark ICE: 2568
3DMark ICE EXTREME: 1933

* ICE STORM is moderate 3D test. ICE STORM EXTREME is high-level 3D test.
EXTREME - "raises rendering resolution from 720p to 1080p and uses higher quality textures & post-processing effects." ie. shows how strong or weak the GPU is by using much higher resolution.

** These scores are based off tablet running Android 4.1 and using slightly higher resolution too.

My Quadrant 2D score is around 2X better for some reason. Cannot say if the problem is with Quadrant or weak 2D performance on MTK chip. Seems to score well with 2D on Antutu though. Maybe Quadrant using higher resolution for testing?

This chip is not the greatest choice for 3D gaming. RK3188 or A31 will do better. But, at 1024x600 should have 3D gaming performance similar to RK3066 & Tegra3. ie. pretty good still.
Thanks for the info Nickos-V! Seems like RK3188 and A31 chips are still the best for gaming. But MT8389 makes up for it by having features like 3G, GPS, dual sim. Well, I guess you can't have it all...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes you are right. I think that firmware "update" is just a release of the stock one for people to fully reset everything. Did you notice a proximity/light like sensor on the right of the phone speaker in front?

Yes it is there but there is no hole on screen protecror foil (front camera has a hole on the foil). I do not kow if it works though the foil.

Freelander seems to be on the right track with the PX2. Hope to see more support of it.

For the price and functions, I cannot fault it. My dad's PX2 keeps restarting
although I've not had any problems running it for extended periods. Also my power button has lost the "click" feeling. Perhaps the button design is weak. It still is able to function and I don't have a problem considering its price.
Freelander seems promising!
I had a restart problem also but installed update and made a factory reset. I have no restart since then.

I think i have installed to many apps in the first round and i could not find the failing one. Now i will slower and install one app per day to see which cause the restart

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Thanks for the info Nickos-V! Seems like RK3188 and A31 chips are still the best for gaming. But MT8389 makes up for it by having features like 3G, GPS, dual sim. Well, I guess you can't have it all...
I agree with you. Cannot have it all. Still does very good for 3D gaming since using low res. I would not want to buy an MT8389 tablet with higher res. though because will take big hit on 3D.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a restart problem also but installed update and made a factory reset. I have no restart since then.

I think i have installed to many apps in the first round and i could not find the failing one. Now i will slower and install one app per day to see which cause the restart
I started to smile too early.The random restart returned. I guess it is about 3G usage. Maybe when 3g data connection lost, but i have to use with wifi to test if tthe restart really related to 3g

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.