Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this ereader thing but anxious to give it a shot. Can anyone point me in the direction of free or cheap books or magazines I can load on this thing? There are a few free magazines I used to read online but when I went back to check them out they are no longer pdf's and are in their own proprietary viewer. Any recommendations?

· Registered
3,284 Posts
The PDN reader supports Adobe DRM, which means it could work with your local library's Overdrive setup (if they have it). Overdrive uses Adobe EPUB / PDF DRM, and allows yoiur library to loan out ebooks for 7/14/21 day period.I haven't tested this myself - but since the library is free, it's worth a shot.Also, I am a big fan of Project Gutenberg - books that have gone into public domain. You can download EPUB's there that will work fine on the PDN.

· Registered
69 Posts
If you have younger kids, Check for the free audiobook version also.I have younger kids and did something pretty slick I think.I DL both the ebook and the audio version. I set the file to play on the reader and display the book simultaneously. The kids love it!

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote name='phd;38173]If you have younger kids' date=' Check for the free audiobook version also.I have younger kids and did something pretty slick I think.I DL both the ebook and the audio version. I set the file to play on the reader and display the book simultaneously. The kids love it![/QUOTE']Super cool....we are expecting our first in October so that would be a cool use and show the wife I didn't waste money on another new toy

· Registered
338 Posts
sweet! this will be the 2nd day I'm looking for a text-to-speech plugin/addon for any ereader available for PDN. Preferably for Aldiko, or any multiformat ereader, with multilanguage capabilities. Anyone knows?Your kids will love such a contraption, too. I mean, every book is an audio book. Me, I'd be listening to the posts here in some soothing feminine voice

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[quote name='blazingwolf;38186]Those and some others. Last of the Mohicans' date=' Little Women and Sense and Sensibility.[/QUOTE']Did it have those right from the start or after the first time it conencted to the internet/B&N? Right now mine has nothing!

· Registered
143 Posts
Those classics are on B&N and can be downloaded for free. They have quite a few free books for download.Baen books has an entire free library of SF and Fantasy books for download in numerous formats, including ePub./coughdemonoid/cough

· Registered
69 Posts
[quote name='fatbastard;38179]Super cool....we are expecting our first in October so that would be a cool use and show the wife I didn't waste money on another new toy[/QUOTE] If you place the audio files on an MP3 player' date=' you can justify 2 devices at once!Easier to control audio and ebook sync also.There's a product out there that will convert epub books as is into chapter or however it is currently split.Demo available. It comes with a fairly soothing female voice. Better than the standard voices usually on a reader or computer.[URL=http://www.text2go.com/download.aspx']Text2Go - Download a Free 30-Day Trial[/URL]Samantha voice available during trial.

· Premium Member
2,102 Posts
check the gutenberg project.

· Registered
366 Posts
fatbastard;38153 said:
I am new to this ereader thing but anxious to give it a shot. Can anyone point me in the direction of free or cheap books or magazines I can load on this thing? There are a few free magazines I used to read online but when I went back to check them out they are no longer pdf's and are in their own proprietary viewer. Any recommendations?
I don't know if anyone has mentioned Calibre as a software tool for managing your eBook library. It's pretty popular *and* free:calibre - E-book managementThe reason why I mention it is because it has a nice built-in "fetch news" feature. For example, you can set it up to download the news daily from your favorite site (I just checked and saw 221 sites for US English). Of course that's silly when you're using your wifi--just go directly to the website!--but it's a nice feature if you've got the PDN with you on the subway, bus, car, etc. -Matt

· Premium Member
2,336 Posts
I LOVE Calibre. It can translate just about anything to the PDN's preferred .epub format and the developer just retweaked his plugin for the PDN so it even will fetch and install the cover for your book along with correct meta data like mp3 tags are done automatically by iTunes.Updates and sync to the PDN can be done automatically. Truth be told, reading a newspaper in book form on the eReader is much better than web surfing, and there's a whole lot less useless ads to flitter about, getting in the way. You can create your own doc to read later by subscribing to Instapaper in Calibre, then signing up to their service (instapaper.com) and sticking their little widget on your browser. See something you like and want to read/keep for later, one click and it get's saved to your Calibre book maker. Google Reader also is hooked up with them and there's an integrated Android app too, PaperDroid (which I have but haven't checked out yet).Surf / click / surf / click / sync the PDN with Calibre which was already set to DL your Instapaper subscriptions ... find your favorite chair with your favorite beverage in one hand, the PDN in the other ... bliss, even far away from your wifi.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.