Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HiJust received my Zenithink apad and within 30 minutes managed to break the network USB port (the one on top next to the on button).I plugged the USB to RJ45 adapter in, plugged in my ethernet cable and got it working on my network. I tilted the pad towards me and heard a 'click' and the adapter fell out. It seems the combined weight of the adapter and the ethernet cable was enough to break off something inside the port.Has anyone else had this happen?It's not a big issue really because I can connect to my home network wirelessly and hopefully I can just go and pick up a cheap usb network adapter if it becomes vital that I connect to an ethernet cable.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yes... the exact same happened to me yesterday... The USBish Enet connector is not soldered feed through to the board but surface mount for both the metal case edge holddowns and the 4 pin connection... the solder came loose on one side of the case holddown, lifted the Pad from card surface on other and three of the 4 conn wires broke off while the 4th lifted from a weak solder connection... I disassembled it last night to check what had happened and to remove the floating metal jacketed connector that was ratteling inside as afraid that might short something elsewhere... It would be repairable, easier with a fresh connector and some fly wire to feed throughs an inch or so back on board but I can live without it for now as will be delicate surgery as spacing is micro/surface mount typical so would need a Very steady hand... and careful soldering technique to not lift more etches...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I too had this problem. I popped open the back cover. very easy to get off by the way. I was glad that I did because there was little bits of metal floating around in the back that came from the contact stands. The description of how bad this usb port is under stated by the previous posters. No offence intended. There is a plastic block that holds the contact strips in place and the block itself is only held in place by 2 (1mm x 1mm) strips (1 on each side) my finger nails are made of stronger stuff. This is not a over exaggeration. I posted a video on you tube both for how to open the zt-180 and a close look at the usb port and how easy it is to break. The other ports on this unit are of normal construction and are not to be feared. This is for the revision B mother board. There should be a disclaimer that comes with the unit that states that the network usb port is extremely fragile. Also in my box the rj45 to usb connector had a male connection that was twice as long at the hole that it is intended to plug into. It is normal for 5mm of bear metal to still be showing and for it to be in all the way. BTW the 827 firmware release is awesome and marketplace can be loaded onto it just as easily at 818. 827 has helped some of the wifi problems so this makes it not so bad that this port is broken and no way in hell do I know of a way apart from micro surgery to fix this port. Any suggestions like turning another usb port to double as a network usb port would be much appreciated. Dam you zenithink for coming so close to making a awesome product at a very low price but failing due to a cheap short cut. BTW I like the sticky tape holding down some of the wires in the back under the cover.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I really appreciate input like this from anyone having problems. Because of this I have been really careful when using my ethernet adapter so as not to have it break. Sorry that you have to find out the hard way but thanks for sharing your experiences with us!Would be good to have a lessons learned sticky thread to warn everyone about the frustrating things like this that could happen if one isn't cautious.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes araldite glue would be a fantastic. As Jtbnet has indicated this would be best before you start to use the usb port at all. Even one use is enough to dislodge it. As the poster from the top indicated the weight of the adaptor alone is enough to pop the unit apart.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I have done mine. Fortunately, the socket was undamaged so I carefully put a bead of Araldite around the sides, and the gap between the lip of the socket and the motherboard, avoiding any entering the internals of the actual socket.I haven't used this port myself, but I didn't fancy debris floating around inside the case in the future.Thanks for the 'Heads Up' guys.

·
Registered
48 Posts
matutino;82176 said:
Would you please be so kind to upload some photo to see how you manage to do the gluing? Thank you!!!
Could you use SuperGlue to fix these things? And maybe a bit of tape?Also I'm thinking about getting one of these. |re there any other issues beside the mini USB connection? Also where is the official firmware download site for these and what version are most people running with?Thanks

·
Registered
918 Posts
Use hot glue so the USB have a stable foundation to spread out the load. Also the glue can be removed later, 5 min epoxy also works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
[quote name='tsukaza;87465]Use hot glue so the USB have a stable foundation to spread out the load. Also the glue can be removed later' date=' 5 min epoxy also works.[/QUOTE'] Hello everybody,I am not still sure how to proceed with the gluing part, and I don?t want to ruin my ZT-180! So, I?ve used my top noch Photoshop skills
and uploaded the best photo I could take from the port, with my point and shoot. I marked it with different colors and numbers. In red I marked the little holes that are present in the port, from where I am afraid Araldite could enter the motherboard. In which number/s (if any) should the gluing be done? In (1) I considered the upper and lower part of the pin that sticks out the port, in (2) its left and right side, and (3) would be all around the port (here I am afraid Araldite could enter into the holes!). Thank you in advance for any tips and help!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi matutino, I haven't done this to my ZT180 yet but from reading the earlier posts I got the impression you would need to open your ZT180 and glue around the socket from inside. That's what I was planning when I pluck up the courage to open mine up.Stroggy

·
Registered
918 Posts
Stroggy;89663]Hi matutino said:
yet [/B]but from reading the earlier posts I got the impression you would need to open your ZT180 and glue around the socket from inside. That's what I was planning when I pluck up the courage to open mine up.Stroggy
Exactly, the trick is to apply the hot glue to the base of the usb port inside the unit to reenforce it. So it won't break the solder joint when stressed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I fully agree, it shows potential but, the build quality lets it down a lot. I'd read about it's faults before purchasing so I can't complain too much. I'm just hoping Android 2.2 will give it a boost, although, nothing's certain.Stroggy

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.