Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all, yes I'm new :)My M001 arrived last week and seeing these boards most of the pro's and con's have been discussed already, I'd like to add my 2c if I may.Upon opening the package from Hong Kong the first thing I noticed was tiny specs of moisture/glue or dirt on the inside of the screen and overall the sturdyness of the device felt flimsey and lacked structural composure. I know decent resistive touch-screens are few and far between especially on a device for $79 but it bugs the hell out of me when the keyboard repeats keystrokes too easily and panning from one corner and up and down the screen feels very un-natural, to me this seems like a software issue with the screen as the screen itself seems able to deal with the input.Wifi - I cannot understand why on earth anyone would place a wifi card directly beside a magnetic speaker and directly underneath the palm of the hand of the user theat is holding the device, both factors hamper the ability of the card, plus the fact that there is *no* antenna???Being honest this device ain't worth a whole lot more than we are paying for it - it's that good ol' saying "you get what you pay for" .So what can this device be used for?
  • It's terrible at surfing the web as the medium between you and the webpage is a stuttering mennace of a keyboard and navigation feels too un-natural too work with for long periods of time.
  • I can't bring it places without power as the battery life is not so good.
  • I can't give it to someone whom knows little of technology as the means of getting half decent performance from the device are limited to tech savvy people.
  • I could use it to cook my egg's on in the morning as the device must reach 50c ;)
  • I may just use it as a PA system or such
/rant overBTW, by chance I ordered one of these wifi cards for $11 + free shipping the same time I ordered my M001 and turns out the chipset is Ralink RT3070 CW external antenna, ATM I'm using this card to serve my home net so I can't test untill a replacement arrives:)/OUT

·
Registered
82 Posts
BTW, by chance I ordered one of these wifi cards for $11 + free shipping the same time I ordered my M001 and turns out the chipset is Ralink RT3070 CW external antenna, ATM I'm using this card to serve my home net so I can't test untill a replacement arrives
The link to the card is not working. Please post the correct link, as I want to look at what you've bought for 11.00.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
I would imagine that th Edimax ew-7318usg would work too, the Edimax stick uses the Realtek RT73 which I believe the M001 uses (lots of cheap embedded linux devices use this chipset). The Edimax stick also offers an external antenna connector and is pretty cheap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
^ ^ link fixed!
...there seems to be some different chipsets being shipped under the same SKU http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.24886???Here my card vendor id and chipset id:...If I find the time I'll crack it open and compare physical size of the board to the one on the m001 and post pics, if all goes well I'll just strip the hard plastic from the antenna/solder the new card in and run the antenna around the pcb nice n' neat .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mr ILIA;17304 said:
Inetersting to see if you could just utilise the antena for the current wifi adaptor found in m001.
meh, doing anything to the card's antenna ie. the placing of solder on the antenna to attach another external antenna requires precision, I read somewhere that the antenna's resistance needs to be equalized for maximum inductance, if we add solder and un-proper grade wire this screws up everything - from my experience it does more bad than good screwing around, simple replacement is the order of the day here I think...

·
Registered
82 Posts
[quote name='csu1;17308]meh' date=' doing anything to the card's antenna ie. the placing of solder on the antenna to attach another external antenna requires precision, I read somewhere that the antenna's resistance needs to be equalized for maximum inductance, if we add solder and un-proper grade wire this screws up everything - from my experience it does more bad than good screwing around, simple replacement is the order of the day here I think...[/QUOTE']That is something to concider....to be not doable by an amature solderer. :)However, what is the ETA for you to replace m001 wifi module with the 11.99 one?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote name='Mr ILIA;17322]That is something to concider....to be not doable by an amature solderer. :)However' date=' what is the ETA for you to replace m001 wifi module with the 11.99 one?[/QUOTE'] This weekend I suppose...has anyone changed a wifi adaptor in one of these before you know of???Judging from the pics. of Aimless teardown
I guess I'll test the new adaptor first - best way to do this would be to disco. the card from the board by cutting the wires (less soldering to do if I need to put it back together if new card fails) > leave the new card as is and simply get an old usb cable/chop and strip the wires and attach to m001 and test....should only take a few minutes...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote name='Mr ILIA;17322]That is something to concider....to be not doable by an amature solderer. :)However' date=' what is the ETA for you to replace m001 wifi module with the 11.99 one?[/QUOTE'] This weekend I suppose...has anyone changed a wifi adaptor in one of these before you know of???Judging from the pics. of Aimless teardown
I guess I'll test the new adaptor first - best way to do this would be to disco. the card from the board by cutting the wires (less soldering to do if I need to put it back together if new card fails) > leave the new card as is and simply get an old usb cable/chop and strip the wires and attach to m001 and test....should only take a few minutes...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.