Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my Novel today, and have been playing with it. Nate's hack went on without a hitch (thank you for preparing that!) and I've been merrily installing applications and the like since.The homescreen left rotation bug is annoying, but the workaround for that is to just disable automatic rotation at the homescreen, in the prefs. The only problem with this is that the device is now forced into landscape right mode (pandigital logo at the right of the screen)Is there any possible way to cajole the thing to fix the homescreen's rotation in portrait mode instead of landscape right? This would be a nice workaround for the homescreen rotation problem until a "real" fix comes along. I for one don't care if my homescreen rotates, but I'd like to have it in a better orientation.Thanks!-C

·
Registered
27 Posts
The android homescreen seems to follow some general rotation default. When you lock the rotation in the settings, all the android apps are locked into the same rotation as the android homescreen.So on my PDN (8/6 modded firmware), it locks in landscape on the homescreen. If I lock rotation in settings then every app goes into landscape, also. Landscape is not-go-great for reading in bed.On my other android device, the homescreen is always in portrait. If I lock rotation in settings on it, then all my apps get locked in portrait (which is actually much better for reading e-books in bed). It only has a 4" screen since it's a phone.So, anyone have any idea where this default is stored or how I can change it?The only other clue I have is right after the android homescreenloads there is a message that says "detected SD card" as a popup (probably from some custom pandigtal thing). It quickly changes the orientation of the background to portrait and then back again to landscape about the time it pops up.I suspect PD is setting something with some file that loads at startup. Anyone have clues what or where?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use ADW for my home screen. I found that checking the "System persist" under the System options in ADW maintains the portrait rotation. There is a statement in the options that it is "Dangerous. Enable this to avoid system killing the launcher". Apparently this option prevents whatever is causing the landscape view default. I haven't had any issues with the system crashing, freezing, or FCs. The autorotation in other apps still works.

·
Registered
27 Posts
ADW is really nice. Much better than the stock android home screen.It's weird. It rotates correctly on the auto setting, but choosing either landscape or portrait in adw's settings makes it go into landscape. Choosing "persist" makes it stay in portrait, but only on the home screen.Still, if I go into Android settings > sound and display > uncheck orientation, the thing locks into landscape for all the apps. Doesn't seem to matter which adw settings I have.It's the opposite of my phone which locks into portrait if I uncheck it.I looked at a bunch of orientation apps, but underneath they just seem to be changing this same setting.Really, I'm looking for a way to lock the kindle app into portrait when I'm lying on my side in bed, so I can read it like a book page instead of a spreadsheet. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.