Android Tablets Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
ok, scratch this: no point flashing to 4.4 now. Curiosity got better of me and I have installed Oma 4.4 rom yesterday. It has been said - tablet became different one and usable! way less lag (barely there!) it has root, good play store compatibility, additional apps. I would advice to flash as soon as you can if you want a tablet you can use daily.

Trade off: app space has 4 gb, meaning that you can only use this space for apps, because caching goes to the same partition. There is another flash space of 10.7 gb totally unused. You can use it for mp3's or movies, but I found no way how to move cache or app data by any means - using app2sd, sd link and more others. If cure for this is found, this is perfect rom so far.

·
Registered
46 Posts
ok, scratch this: no point flashing to 4.4 now. Curiosity got better of me and I have installed Oma 4.4 rom yesterday. It has been said - tablet became different one and usable! way less lag (barely there!) it has root, good play store compatibility, additional apps. I would advice to flash as soon as you can if you want a tablet you can use daily.

Trade off: app space has 4 gb, meaning that you can only use this space for apps, because caching goes to the same partition. There is another flash space of 10.7 gb totally unused. You can use it for mp3's or movies, but I found no way how to move cache or app data by any means - using app2sd, sd link and more others. If cure for this is found, this is perfect rom so far.
Good to know it runs quite nice and smooth.

Reading a little bit more about the early 4.4 build, Roman was right that the original 4.4 early build is not official from ifive. I have to presume it was modified from the Pipo U8 build to work on the ifive mini3. I also read Oma mentioned about 4.4 using a new bootloader so you can't downgrade back to 4.2.2 roms once you upgrade.

Regarding space - 4gb of app storage, eh? That is not a lot especially if you install some large games, but more than enough for basic apps. =/ Im tempted to upgrade, but still going to wait a bit longer for an official build, to hopefully, surface.

·
Registered
83 Posts
While it is possible that in his version Oma used differed bootloader which would make return to 4.2 not possible, but why in the world I would like to go back to lousy previous experience?

On the other hand, after flashing experimental 4.4 which is not from oma, I have successfully returned back to 4.2.2 without any problems.

·
Registered
46 Posts
While it is possible that in his version Oma used differed bootloader which would make return to 4.2 not possible, but why in the world I would like to go back to lousy previous experience?

On the other hand, after flashing experimental 4.4 which is not from oma, I have successfully returned back to 4.2.2 without any problems.
Looks like ifive has released an official 4.4.2 rom for the mini3. Just saw a customized one on arctablet. Tempted to flash it even though it says /data was increased to 4gb so it might have the same limitation as leaked 4.4 rom. I'll have to see if 4gb is actually enough for me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It seems now whole nand flash is writeable, so you get your 10+ gb back.

But there are few bugs with launcher and widgets, so I hope for fixed version some time later.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It seems now whole nand flash is writeable, so you get your 10+ gb back.

But there are few bugs with launcher and widgets, so I hope for fixed version some time later.
I just flashed Kasty's 4.4.2 rom last night. Just wow - the tablet is so much better now. It's much more fluid than 4.2.2 and ulti-tasking is smoother now when you're downloading something and tryng to do something else at the same time.

I haven't run into any launcher or widget bugs since I installed Nova Launcher ontop (my preferred launcher). The only widget issue was the lock screen widget that shows the weather in Shenzhen.

I have to say, KitKat really breathed in new life into the tablet. Of course, a fresh rom runs nicely in the beginning so I'll see how everything goes as I continue to use it. But, so far, so good.

EDIT: So, far, I have found one problem with the 4.4.2 rom. The sound and music are extremely choppy in Real Racing 3. Sucks since that's the tablet/smartphone game I play the most these days.

EDIT 2: Hmm...after doing a little bit of googling, it looks like sound and music being choppy in Real Racing 3 might be a compatibility problem with 4.4.2

·
Registered
2 Posts
My thoughts mirror Tech 7.

Kasty's 4.4.2 ROM really puts this tablet to an 11. Before on 4.2.2, I'd used NoFrills CPU and lagfix to overcome most of the the tablet's lag problems, and was quite please with results. Don't get me wrong, it was still there occasionally, but not enough to make the tablet unusable. On KitKat, I haven't added any of those mods, nor gotten the urge to either. It runs smoothly all the time.

Yes, that's the one.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Kasty's 4.4.2 ROM really puts this tablet to an 11. Before on 4.2.2, I'd used NoFrills CPU and lagfix to overcome most of the the tablet's lag problems, and was quite please with results. Don't get me wrong, it was still there occasionally, but not enough to make the tablet unusable. On KitKat, I haven't added any of those mods, nor gotten the urge to either. It runs smoothly all the time.

Yes, that's the one.
I find that changing the i/o schedule to noop using NoFrills even on the 4.4.2 rom makes things a tad smoother. I also run lagfix every once in a while when things start to get really laggy which happens like maybe once a month. A reboot might fix it, but never tried.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can we revert back to 4.2.2 rom, and how? Sucks that real racing 3 has audio glitch in kitkat. Any other games affected with kitkat?

·
Registered
83 Posts
You can. Basically all you have to do is flash 4.2 loader. If you do not flash 4.2 loader when going back from 4.4 then you will have issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Yes, that's the one.
I'm using this ROM but with the stock browser I can't find the history tab which is normally in with the bookmark page any ideas

21 - 32 of 32 Posts