Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, I have been looking for a tempered-glass screen protector for the ifive mini 3gs but didn't manage to find any, not even for the ifive mini 3 model, no luck at aliexpress. So I google and try to find custom-cut seller and no luck either. The closest match would be Ipad mini but that doesn't have the right cuts for the earpiece and the round hole at the bottom would look ugly too.

Has anybody found any decent tempered-glass screen protective film for the mini 3gs? If you do, please share here. Many many thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just received my iFive mini 3gs this morning and have been setting it up, nearly done. Here's my take on the mini 3gs thus far.

The iFive mini 3gs is an amazing piece of tablet put together so well that I don't seem to find anything wrong and any issues that needs close attention at all. The screen display is so gorgeous that I think even Ipad mini is outclassed. The body is even thinner and feels lighter. Its build quality is very high.

Some chinese apps are pre-installed and can't be removed. Probably this can be done when rooted. The 3gs comes ready with kitkat 4.4.2 nice icons and spontaneous response when buttons are pressed. It has 2gb ddr3 ram and a build-in 16gb ROM. And of course the much-touted octa-core mediatek mtk6592 cpu and a massive 4050mAh battery.

Its been about 7hrs now and battery level is still around 38%.

Antutu X score is 27413!

All in all it has been a really pleasant surprise. I think i will deeply love this tablet.

edited: I have opted for some free gifts for a little more money and I was given an original flip casing. This casing has a sleep function when closed and wakes up when flipped open. How nice.

Probably the only issue(up till now) is the lack of tempered-glass screen protector that I haven't manage to find anywhere. To this, I have given an email to FNF and hopefully they will come out with one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Update:

I am not sure if I made a small discovery about the iFive mini 3gs front panel, it sure looks to me some sort of thin glass material had already been sticked onto the touchscreen of the iFive mini 3gs. How do I know about this? Well, I opted for the free gifts that I paid a little extra for and among the sleep function flipcase, a screen protector is also included but it wasn't mentioned what kind of screen protector was given. So when I receive the tablet I made sure I also got this, yes I checked and there was a thin film on the screen but this thin film has a tail, like it is meant for you to lift it off and throw away but I didn't do this because I thought this is the screen protector and I cut off the tail with a sharp blade. However, just today when I looked at the earpiece speaker hole and the front camera, I noticed that there is thin glass of maybe +/-0.5mm thick raising above the earpiece and camera making the earpiece and camera recessed, so I wonder if this is a tempered-glass screen protector?

Can those owners of the iFive mini 3gs please check and post their replies here?

thanks

·
Registered
366 Posts
I am sure you are seeing a temporary screen protector. It sounds identical to what was on the wife's LG Gpad 8.3". Eventually we will be getting a new one, but this one is sufficing for now.

Sounds like a super tablet!

:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am sure you are seeing a temporary screen protector. It sounds identical to what was on the wife's LG Gpad 8.3". Eventually we will be getting a new one, but this one is sufficing for now.

Sounds like a super tablet!

:)
Yes, it is a fantastic tablet! And after nearly a week's usage, all I can say is, it's awesome! Get yourself one if your ok with an 8" tablet, you won't be dissapointed.

And about the screen protector, at first look I thought its the usual screen protector that we see everyday. In fact what I saw is just the peel-off thin film covering the glass panel. I have not peel-off this film yet as I want it to wear off naturally or until its unbearably ugly.

But what I see after this thin film is a layer of glass panel. I am not sure what it is but after checking with the seller it was confirmed to be a scratch-proof but not fingerprint-proof material. Probably I was wrong.

Latest updates:

I have found a probable tempered-glass nano screen guard with hardness of 9H candidate for our beloved iFive mini 3gs. The label is Baseus and can be found at www.ipromarket.com. Its been offered as part of the purchase with iFive mini 3gs but can also be had separately. I will be buying this item. Thus far this is the only item I found. Hoping this is useful to someone out there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Update:

The Baseus label is actually a nano 'coating' with a hardness strength of 9H, to be rubbed/coated on top of the touchscreen to form a very thin layer of film. It is said to last for up to 6 months.

So I am actually a bit dissappointed with the reply from the vendor. That means the hunt for a proper tempered-glass screen protector for our iFive mini 3gs is still on. :-(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tip:

The small green little icon (on the edge of the screen sometimes appearing on the left and sometimes right) is a little chinese app called HAO123. Uninstall/stop/disable this app will make the swiping to another screen much smoother.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My friend. I am not sure what you are searching for.

I have never seen a screen protector made of anything but flexible plastic. Are you looking for a piece of glass that will go on top of the mini's screen?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My friend. I am not sure what you are searching for.

I have never seen a screen protector made of anything but flexible plastic. Are you looking for a piece of glass that will go on top of the mini's screen?
You are right, its flexible plastic basically for the normal screen protector that we see everywhere. Some are tougher than the others and scratch-proof, fingerprint-proof and anti-glare too.

Tempered-glass is sort of like corning gorilla glass. Their similarities include shatter-proof, scratch proof, water-proof among others. Some even claim bomb-proof !!! ;-]) Google it, you will see.

Some big players have made it a standard for their sets, Nokia for example. All their new models come with gorilla glass. Some new models from Chinese manufacturers are installing gorilla glass too. THL T11 screen come standard with gorilla glass. I foresee this will be a common feature in future. It's not adding too much costs to the overall price if made a standard feature. I would see this pre-installed at factory soon.

I am sure every one who loves the iFive mini 3gs would love to protect its gorgeous screen right?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looks like the iFive mini 3gs doesn't have a built-in screenshot app. I Want to know what screenshot app you guys found best and use?

Update: I tried 5 free screenshot apps from the Playstore and none of them work :-(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update info:

I manage to find a picture of the composition of the iFive mini 3gs screen from iFive website. iFive adopted the OGS (one-glass-solution) method and very clearly there's a protective glass panel on top of the Lcd and touchscreen. However, no mention of the material used or its specs.

Tablet computer Font Gadget Line Art

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Looks like the iFive mini 3gs doesn't have a built-in screenshot app. I Want to know what screenshot app you guys found best and use?

Update: I tried 5 free screenshot apps from the Playstore and none of them work :-(
Screenshot should be in settings in 4.4.2. Just turn it on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, I do have 4.4.2 kitkat but updated to latest ifive ui ver 1.0.9. Do you mind taking a screenshot of your screen and post here? Sorry for the trouble.

Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I found the solution to do it. Its pretty easy actually. Just hit Power & Volume Down buttons at the same time and hold it for a few seconds. Just like in previous Android OS. That's it! Practice a few times, eventually you will get it.

There's no enable option in settings as far as iFive mini 3gs is concerned. I 've checked all available settings and didn't see any relevant options.

In my previous Asus Fonepad it's easy enough by holding down the right most soft button, the previous app button. How nice if this is available in mini 3gs or any future iFive products.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Update:

usage: web browsing.

The mini 3gs gets warm after about 1/2 hr non-stop web browsing using the stock android browser. It's not hot but warm to the touch, still way below hot as to the level of un-touchable.

And during that time, sometimes touch and hold a link to "open a new tab in background" is not responding. But minimizing the browser and come back to it again, no problem.

I find that the warming up happens also during video-watching on youtube. Probably caused by data processing? The 3gs temperature is ok if watching a video file from the sd card or internal memory. No warming up there.

edited add info:

the warm area is at the lower half of the screen if on portrait position, I suspect either the battery or the cpu or both is placed around this area.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts