Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

The fix I am sharing is for below freeze symptoms:
  1. Screen content becomes jagged (kind of combing pattern) with a brief 'pop' sound from the speakers
  2. Screen will go blank with a random color - white, green, etc.
  3. Your fingers have lot of hair pulled from your head

Solution: Switch off once core of the CPU by tweaking CPU governor settings using CPU Adjuster app from Play Store. I couldn't see any drastic change in performance by switching off the second core. [Needs Root]

Solution steps:
  1. Download CPU Adjuster from Play Store.
  2. Open the app and go to Profiles Tab.
  3. Touch Menu and Select Add.
  4. Let the Activation Condition be 'Default Profile'.
  5. In the next screen, Select hotplug under CPU Governor and deadline under I/O scheduler.
  6. Touch the Advanced Tweaks tab and have following values: hotplug in sampling periods: 0, sampling rate:100000, down threshold:20
  7. Touch Save button on top, this will retun you to Profiles screen.
  8. Select the check box for the profile just created and also switch on the profile using the button at tope of the screen.

This profile will work will for games, for You Tube videos, create another profile with Activation Condition: Application is Active and Select You Tube from application list. Change governor to hotplug, increase minimum frequency to 1008MHz (check supported frequencies from previous screen if you have different tablet, select a frequency mid way between min and max), I/O scheduler:noop. Advance Tweak settings same as above. Select application polling time of 2 minutes. When done, select the check box next to this newly created profile. Now when You Tube is running, CPU Adjuster will switch to this profile for You Tube. You may select more apps that are CPU hungry. Good luck!

I had earlier fixed extra heat sink on the processor, the details of same in in the below post:
Link

However, my tablet used to freeze while playing games or watching videos with either a jagged screen or a blank screen in random color. The freeze could happen anytime also such as just swiping on home screen. Tried to flash different stock/TNT roms, recoveries, kernels, Pimp My ROM, etc. but the issue persisted. I was searching and researching for months for the solution and recently bumped into a thread where people shared freezing experience on Samsung dual core tablets.

So I thought let me try to switch off one core and just use one core to run the tablet. This can be done with the hotplug CPU Governor. First I used Kernel Tuner app to play around with the hotplug governor and was really happy to see the tablet run Temple Run 2 continuously without freezing. Later I changed to CPU Adjuster which gives option to create up to 3 profiles in free version. Profiles option is more flexible and selects appropriate profile based on running app.

I still don't understand what is the real issue behind freezes, either there is some mismatch of speed / frequency between CPU / GPU ? or the kernel is not able to manage dual cores efficiently causing some memory corruption? or the second core in the processor chip in my tablet is just bad? Whatever it is, this fix gives a real stable performance now.

Kind Regards,
Uttam

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update:
The following settings with second core enabled also are working fine:
Min CPU Speed: 816 (Min possible is 252)
Max CPU Speed: 1608 (Max possible)
CPU Governor: hotplug, I/O Scheduler: deadline
Governor settings:
down differential: 20
ignore nice load:1
hotplug out: 20
up threshold:

down threshold: 27
hotplug in: 5
sampling rate: 80000

Additionally, I created a profile with Min. and Max frequency set to 252Mhz while the screen is off. This saves battery while the screen is off but the tablet is awake, such as due to Wifi connection option set to keep active.

Kind Regards,
Uttam

Hi,

The fix I am sharing is for below freeze symptoms:
  1. Screen content becomes jagged (kind of combing pattern) with a brief 'pop' sound from the speakers
  2. Screen will go blank with a random color - white, green, etc.
  3. Your fingers have lot of hair pulled from your head

Solution: Switch off once core of the CPU by tweaking CPU governor settings using CPU Adjuster app from Play Store. I couldn't see any drastic change in performance by switching off the second core. [Needs Root]

Solution steps:
  1. Download CPU Adjuster from Play Store.
  2. Open the app and go to Profiles Tab.
  3. Toch Menu and Select Add.
  4. Let the Activation Condition be 'Default Profile'.
  5. In the next screen, Select hotplug under CPU Governor and deadline under I/O scheduler.
  6. Touch the Advanced Tweaks tab and have following values: hotplug in sampling periods: 0, sampling rate:100000, down threshold:20
  7. Touch Save button on top, this will retun you to Profiles screen.
  8. Select the check box for the profile just created and also switch on the profile using the button at tope of the screen.

This profile will work will for games, for You Tube videos, create another profile with Activation Condition: Application is Active and Select You Tube from application list. Change governor to hotplug, increase minimum frequency to 1008000 (check supported frequencies from previous screen if you have different tablet, select a frequency mid way between min and max), I/O scheduler:noop. Advance Tweak settings same as above. Select application polling time of 2 minutes. When done, select the check box next to this newly created profile. Now when You Tube is running, CPU Adjuster will switch to this profile for You Tube. You may select more apps that are CPU hungry. Good luck!

I had earlier fixed extra heat sink on the processor, the details of same in in the below post:
Link

However, my tablet used to freeze while playing games or watching videos with either a jagged screen or a blank screen in random color. The freeze could happen anytime also such as just swiping on home screen. Tried to flash different stock/TNT roms, recoveries, kernels, Pimp My ROM, etc. but the issue persisted. I was searching and researching for months for the solution and recently bumped into a thread where people shared freezing experience on Samsung dual core tablets.

So I thought let me try to switch off one core and just use one core to run the tablet. This can be done with the hotplug CPU Governor. First I used Kernel Tuner app to play around with the hotplug governor and was really happy to see the tablet run Temple Run 2 continuously without freezing. Later I changed to CPU Adjuster which gives option to create up to 3 profiles in free version. Profiles option is more flexible and selects appropriate profile based on running app.

I still don't understand what is the real issue behind freezes, either there is some mismatch of speed / frequency between CPU / GPU ? or the kernel is not able to manage dual cores efficiently causing some memory corruption? or the second core in the processor chip in my tablet is just bad? Whatever it is, this fix gives a real stable performance now.

Kind Regards,
Uttam

1 - 2 of 2 Posts