Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Super Moderator
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just installed the Developer Preview of the future Windows 8.

Installation was done from USB Stick and finish within 15 minutes.
While installing you'll need to key in the Data of an existing Live/Hotmail ID or create one new. All other was just done. One was failed and I've to check what's the problem: the BD Writer wasn't detected and therefore not installed.
All other devices and the required drivers were installed. Also Windows 8 was activated directly without the use of an CD-Key etc. and no question asked.

The whole layout of the start up is changed and I doubt that MS will keep it as it is right now! Nor very nice!!
First have to figure out how the new startup is working and how to go on. Going in a bit more deep, the well know look of the Windows 7 style is still there in many parts.

The version I installed was the 32bit version and I plan to change that to the 64bit tomorrow. Will just play a bit around with 32bit first.

Ok, it's a Pre-Beta Version and therefore full of bug's etc. and for sure not very stable. But it's worth to test and "play" around with it for a while for to get to know what will come.

· Super Moderator
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had created a short introduction clip about the first run of Windows 8 Developer Preview with Developer Tools. Please don't expect to much from it, just use it as basic info what will come with the next generation of Microsoft Windows.

There a lot of changes and you'll need to get a bit familar with the new way of control used in Windows 8. Also keep in mind that this version is just a Pre-Beta with a lot of bugs.
Please download the Movie Clip, the size is 10.3 MB and the format is MP4

· Super Moderator
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Windows 8 is build with Touchscreen in mind and that's what the Start Menu is in real for!

On the other hand, after playing around quite a bit with Win 8, many improvements have been done. Just need a little bit of time for to get use of the "new way" using to work with Windows 8.

Just as a simple example, the transfer speed of copy files etc, is a lot faster than even in Windows 7! That's just one!

And for sure, there will a lot who will never like MS Software, doesn't matter how good they are!

· Super Moderator
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems to be that Windows8 is developed for both: Tablet and normal Computer.

Anyway, this is just a Developer Preview and even not a Beta yet! So there will be a lot of more changes changes in the coming year. Those change could and I believe would be done for the Layout as well. Maybe Microsoft will finally produce 2 different Main Versions: one for Computer and Laptop without Touch Screen and another for Computer and Tablets with Touch Screen.

· Super Moderator
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First at all: this version is a PRE-BETA and will have a lot problems. Didn't work on some Laptops do to hardware problems like my Acer Aspire 5593 (Windows 7 works like a charme). So, don't expect toooooo much and keep in mind that there will be a lot changes in the future.

Secondly: You'll need to get familary with the new "Style" of Windows 8, which differs in many parts from Windows 7 or other older versions. That said, you'll need ti invest some time for the get the way to work with Windows 8.

On the other hand, Windows 8 works much faster than other Windows versions. Many thinks are changed to the better and/or faster! There also new versions of the Internet Explorer, now IE10 and DirectX, now DirectX 11 just as some example. The Win Key of the Keyboard get's now "work" t do, it's used to change between the Star Screen and Desktop as well as forward and backward a step.

As soon as I got the complete Key Map, I'll post it here.

In Vista or Windows 7 the downward compatibility is enabled by default, in Windows 8 you'll need to enable manually. The effect is, that you'll lose some performance if compatibility is enabled. I'm now looking for a way to disable the compatibility mode in Windows 7 for to test and see the differences.

Any questions, may ask here and maybe I could answer.

Have fun with Windows 8

· Super Moderator
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think win 8 could be microsofts downfall if they do not change the user interface, it will alienate all their pc users. IMO.

As told already several times: This is a PRE-BETA Version and therefore may even will not looks as the final later on!

Even if they keep that Interface, it will not the "Downfall" for Microsoft. This Version is developed in view of the more and more upcoming Tablet Computer and therefore the Interface MUST be ready to use for both: Normal and Tablet Computers.

It's a quite short learning curve for to get use of that Interface and once you're done, you may also start to like it.

Anyway, never everybody will be happy was will be done, that's just human nature some like what others dislike!

· Super Moderator
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you didn't have a Touch Screen on the computer on which you run Windows 8, you may didn't like the new Start Screen and would like to have back the old classic Start Menu. That isn't a problem, the old classic start memnu could be easy re-enabled using a third party software. The software also gives you the ability to enable a few other locked features of Windows 8. That Program is called: Blue Poison. Just download Blue Poison, install it, run it and enable the locked features.

For to download the free and pre-activated version of Windows 8 directly from Microsoft, just go to the Windows 8 Download Page at Microsoft.

There 3 different version available:
  1. Windows 8 Developer Preview English 32bit (x86) 2.8GB
  2. Windows 8 Developer Preview English 64bit (x64) 3.6GB
  3. Windows 8 Developer Preview with developer tools English 64bit (x64) 4.8 GB (5,380MB) need DL-DVD 9
Personally I use just USB Sticks for to setup any Window. For to create a bootable USB Stick I use Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool which you could download here. This tool is for Windows 7, Server 2008 and Vista. If you still using Windows XP and would like to use that tool, you will need to install some additional apps:
The following applications must be installed prior to installing the tool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.