Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Note: If the custom rom dosent work out for you, here's a link to the most current stock rom on Ainol's site,use the one at the top of the list:AINOL NOVO 8 STOCK ROM SITE

Instructions for flashing firmware to your NOVO 8:

This rom and original translated instructions comes from this site,and is offered by a person named jiongtang. Massive thanks go to him/her as this is the first stable custom rom available for our beloved NOVO 8's...and it truly rocks!! Heres the link:
CUSTOM CHINESE ROM FOR NOVO 8

First of all,you need to format a microSD(TF) card(1GB is more than enough)to fat32 on your windows pc.If you dont have it yet,download 7zip and use it to extract the rom you download to the formatted sd card(its the best one).Also make sure your battery is fully charged up,or you risk the chance of bricking(KILLING)your NOVO 8!!

This rom upgrade is only applicable to the TF(microSD) card upgrade, and goes as follows:

1. Download and extract the rom to the formatted microSD(TF) card using the aforementioned 7zip, place it in the NOVO 8 while its off.

2. Press and hold both the Power and VOL+ buttons(the top two)at the same time until the "safe mode" screen appears(its the screen with text on it).Then release the buttons.

3. Press + and - Volume buttons(the second and third ones) to move up and down to the "wipe data / factory reset" option, press the Back(located on the bottom) button to confirm, the prompt "Confirm wipe of all user data?"pops up,then press the volume keys to select the option "Yes-delete all user data "and press the Back key to confirm it.

4. Press the Volume buttons to select the option "wipe cache partition" , press the Back button to confirm it.

5. Press the Volume buttons to select the option"wipe media partition", press the Back button to confirm it, then the prompt "Confirm wipe of all media data?"pops up, Press the Volume buttons to select the "Yes-delete all media data" option,and press the Back button to confirm it.

6. Press the Volume buttons to select the "apply sdcard: update.zip" option, press the Back button to confirm the upgrade, the upgrade prompt "Install from sdcard complete"pops up,and returns to the main list.

7. Press the Volume buttons to select the "reboot system now" option, press the Back button to confirm the shutdown of the tablet.It wont restart on is own,you have to do it yourself.

8. At this point the machine has been upgraded successfully,congratulations! This sounds complicated,but it really is easy,trust me on this

This rom,just like the firmware updates,starts up in Chinese,this is how to get it to English(or any other language):

1. When it starts up,look all the way to the right of the screen,you will see a bar with three symbols on it,choose the the third one down from the top(the one on the bottom) and press it.

2. The "Settings" screen will appear, count down to the ninth choice,it looks like it has a capitol"A"on it.Press it.

3.Press the top(first) choice on the screen, a list of languages appears on the next page, choose the one that suites you,and your good to go

The next thing I noticed is your not rooted right out of the box,you have to run z4root,but its in Chinese .This wont matter,though,as its almost completely automated except for one thing you must do before you run it.USB Debugging must be enabled(its a check box) before z4root will run.You do this like this:

1. Go to "Settings"

2. Scroll down to "Applications",press it.

3.Scroll down to "Development",press it.
On the next screen,the top(first) choice is "USB Debugging",tick off the check box,and your good to go.
z4root will now run without any input needed from you other than to choose if you want to root permanently or just for that session(its in English,so no worries here).Choose to root it permanently so you dont have to do it again,and your done.After it runs,z4root restarts your NOVO 8,then your rooted permanently

One other thing for those who use Chainfire 3D,its also in Chinese on this rom,and I cant seem to get it uninstalled to put the english version in...this isnt too much of a problem if you already know how to use the app,but if you never used it before,this might be a real problem for you.Just a heads up on that one.

PLEASE READ THIS!!!
If you dont want to deal with some apps in Chinese,DO NOT use this rom.There are other ways to get your marketplace on this tab,which would allow you to download and use all of the apps I mention in this guide except the AC3 codec,thats only available in the custom rom.Getting the marketplace isnt too hard to do,but it is harder than just flashing a new rom.I'm putting the link on how to do it here in case you want to go this route. Here it is: MARKETPLACE HACK FOR NOVO 8

ALTERNATIVE MARKET(FREEWARE):
The marketplace you get with this rom can be a bit limited,so here is a link to an alternate one that can help fill in the blanks,so to speak. Here's how it works:
1. Find the app you want and go to download it.
2. A new page will open saying that if the app didnt download,click an alternate link on the page.Thats the link that will work.
3. After it downloads(you will see the download arrow at the top signaling its downloading),go to it and install it.Unlike the marketplace,it dosent install the app automatically.
Thats all there is to it,and its a nice alternative/add on to the standard market:
FREEWARE LOVERS--FREE APPS SITE!

I Hope this helps others who are considering this most excellent tablet.Dont let the poor battery life throw you too much,its the only bad thing about the NOVO 8,no lie

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great thread and tablet!

BTW: New firmware from Ainol for NOVO 8 includes full Android Market

there is also now Ethernet Configuration within Settings

Really hoping to see some dev's working on custom roms for this awesome tablet!

Novo-8 firmware update:
Version: V0629.20-C_CH @ 20110719

Improve the following issues:
1) APK software compatibility
2) Improve system stability
3) Included the 3G dongle support

ps: no need for all those steps to flash, simply hold power and vol button for approx 20secs and let it do its thing

seems i was wrong, you will need to download novo8tools20110719 and apply novo-8-update.img first...
will update once i figure out the easiest way to do it as the usboot.exe and instructions are also in chinese.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great thread and tablet!

BTW: New firmware from Ainol for NOVO 8 includes full Android Market

there is also now Ethernet Configuration within Settings

Really hoping to see some dev's working on custom roms for this awesome tablet!

Novo-8 firmware update:
Version: V0629.20-C_CH @ 20110719

Improve the following issues:
1) APK software compatibility
2) Improve system stability
3) Included the 3G dongle support

ps: no need for all those steps to flash, simply hold power and vol button for approx 20secs and let it do its thing

seems i was wrong, you will need to download novo8tools20110719 and apply novo-8-update.img first...
will update once i figure out the easiest way to do it as the usboot.exe and instructions are also in chinese.
Just do it as I posted above,and it should flash just fine,no need for novotools.You can also flash it without the need for an sd card as well,simply use the update.zip from novotools(just the update.zip,nothing else),and load it to the NOVO's internal memory(not the sd card),and hit the option in bios to flash from internal memory,and your good to go.Many different ways to do it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just do it as I posted above,and it should flash just fine,no need for novotools.You can also flash it without the need for an sd card as well,simply use the update.zip from novotools(just the update.zip,nothing else),and load it to the NOVO's internal memory(not the sd card),and hit the option in bios to flash from internal memory,and your good to go.Many different ways to do it
Thanks for the reply. I figured out what i did wrong, after flashing the latest firmware all booted up fine and logged into market place etc and all was good BUT i left the micro sd card inserted with the firmware files from the novo-8-update.img (aml_autoscript, factory_update_param.aml, u-boot-512M-UartB.bin, uImage, uImage_recovery, update.zip) and was then unable to boot or re-flash!

To fix this i used the firmware V0629.20-C_CH @ 20110719 and USB Image Tool 1.57 created a new usb image with a 2GB micro sd and then re-flashed again and all was fine!

Hopefully this will help anyone else with a bricked or unable to boot/flash novo 8

·
Registered
333 Posts
I was reading in a forum the other day instructions on adding ac3 support to the official firmware but I can't find it anymore. What I remember is there was a link with the ac3 codec/license and the instructions talked about going into the preboot upgrade menu and choosing an audio selection (can't remember what it said the option was exactly) and it would take the ac3 codec/license and install it from the sdcard (that you put the file on of course). Does anyone else have a link to that? I'll keep looking for it anyways.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I was reading in a forum the other day instructions on adding ac3 support to the official firmware but I can't find it anymore. What I remember is there was a link with the ac3 codec/license and the instructions talked about going into the preboot upgrade menu and choosing an audio selection (can't remember what it said the option was exactly) and it would take the ac3 codec/license and install it from the sdcard (that you put the file on of course). Does anyone else have a link to that? I'll keep looking for it anyways.
Found it.....

http://www.mp4nation.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22633

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys,

I got my Novo 8 today from Merimobiles. I thought I was getting the version with the market already installed but unfortunately when I turned it on it was not installed.

I did some searching around tonight to see what the best upgrade might be for me and decided that the official 0719 version would be the safest. So I did the download, formatted my SD card, copied the update.zip file onto the SD card and put it in. I then held down the Vol+ plus power button & nothing happened. I held both buttons down for ages (at least a minute) and then when I could see nothing happening I let them go. Now my tablet won't do anything. I just buzzes for a second when i hit the power button but that is all.

My current Kernel version is 2.6.34 V0520_13_809_D5_CHTJ_A36

Build no: [email protected]

Now I'm not sure what to do. I've read that I can reimage the tablet using these instructions http://fineoils.blogspot.com/2011/07/ainol-novo-8-de-bricking.html but if I do it that was it looks like I'm stuck with the 0627 version with no market. I've read what dragon2knight says about this and I'm more more confused than ever. I know it's really rude to ask for help straight up but I'm kinda desperate. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
FYI Peeps, I totally bricked my nieces Novo 8 after updating to a 2.3.4 firmware, upgraded fine, installed a few apps then it wouldnt start up, no vibration nothing and I couldnt get into system recovery at all.. totally bricked. Then I held down the reset button for about 30 seconds and voila it started to vibrate ! Then I held down power + volume + buttons to get into the system recovery screen, loaded the 2.2 firmware from gardget freaks website and now working ! Just had to change langauge from chinese to english..so panic over and my niece will get a xmas present !!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've managed to semi-brick my Novo 8 Advanced. All it does now is buzz/flash LCD when I push the power button. I've tried various solutions but none of them seem to do anything.

• I've tried a 4GB card
  • I've tried a 16GB card
  • I've tried formatting the cards using Vista
  • I've tried formatting the cards using Fedora
  • I've tried the 719 version of the firmware
  • I've tried the 826 version of the firmware
  • I've tried the 1214 version of the firmware
  • I've tried the 2.3 version of the firmware
  • I've tried pressing Vol+ and Power together
  • I've tried pressing just Power
  • I've tried it with the power cord in
  • I've tried it with the power cord out
  • I've tried it with the power cord out, pressing Vol+ and then inserting the power cord

What I've been doing is unzipping/unraring the download file, unzipping the zip file and then copying the contents of the zip file to my SD card, then trying to boot the device in recovery mode.

None of these have worked for me. Now maybe I need to try some combination of these that I haven't tried yet.

I haven't been able to mount the device using the USB cable.

The problem originally started when I tried upgrading to 2.3. Unfortunately
  • I left the auto run script in, so that ran automatically and did lot sof things (what?) and
  • It failed to load update.img because of some kind of signature verification check failure.

I bought the device in Huaqiangbei about December 18, so perhaps it has new firmware.

Any advice on the specific steps I should be following?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've managed to semi-brick my Novo 8 Advanced. All it does now is buzz/flash LCD when I push the power button. I've tried various solutions but none of them seem to do anything.

• I've tried a 4GB card
  • I've tried a 16GB card
  • I've tried formatting the cards using Vista
  • I've tried formatting the cards using Fedora
  • I've tried the 719 version of the firmware
  • I've tried the 826 version of the firmware
  • I've tried the 1214 version of the firmware
  • I've tried the 2.3 version of the firmware
  • I've tried pressing Vol+ and Power together
  • I've tried pressing just Power
  • I've tried it with the power cord in
  • I've tried it with the power cord out
  • I've tried it with the power cord out, pressing Vol+ and then inserting the power cord

What I've been doing is unzipping/unraring the download file, unzipping the zip file and then copying the contents of the zip file to my SD card, then trying to boot the device in recovery mode.

None of these have worked for me. Now maybe I need to try some combination of these that I haven't tried yet.

I haven't been able to mount the device using the USB cable.

The problem originally started when I tried upgrading to 2.3. Unfortunately
  • I left the auto run script in, so that ran automatically and did lot sof things (what?) and
  • It failed to load update.img because of some kind of signature verification check failure.

I bought the device in Huaqiangbei about December 18, so perhaps it has new firmware.

Any advice on the specific steps I should be following?
How to fix it:
1. download http://www.ainol.com/rar/novo8tools20110719.zip(to your computer)
2. download http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Back-Up-and-Recovery/USB-Image-Tool.shtml(to your computer)
3. works on windows xp only for writing to micro sd card(doesn't work with windows 7)-need net framework also-insert microsd card
4. launch USB Image tool to restore novo-8-update.img from the novotools package to the inserted microsd card - choose it in the program
5. insert the card to Novo 8
6. press volume up + power on for about 20 seconds
7. screen should blink and then you can release the buttons
8. firmware will be restored from the file
9. once restored it will try to reboot - be sure to remove the card (if you wont do it, i think that it wont boot)

Hope that helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
I installed the 2.3 upgrade from the Ainol website (I know Chinese so was not a problem). Only new app was Market but no Gmail or other Google apps and was able to install Gmail from the Market and it synced without problem.

Have tried 2 functions that I needed that may be of interest to others.

1. Skype installs and logs in without a problem. Voice and video calls all work well although the video image is a little dark. Not sure if there are are any EVO settings for the camera that might may a difference.
  2. 3G USB modem connected very easily and quickly. I tested with a Huawei E1750 but did find that there was not enough space around the USB port for the modem to go in straight.

One problem is that I don't know how to sync the calendar on the tablet with my Google calendar. On my Android phone, the calendar is listed as one of the services to synch along with Gmail, but not on the tablet. There is a calendar synch .apk I found but not sure if that can be installed and will work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Galeraaa, good night .. First post on the forum!

So guys, what happens to me is this, my tablet had a version 2.2 of Android, I invented it to upgrade to a newer version, if I made a bonehead historically, when I format the SD card to play it the update files , selected the internal Memory of the tablet, and now staff, anyone have a clue on how to revive it?!?!?!?!?!?

Note, when I press the button to call it only vibrates, I tried pressing the button to turn the volume more, nothing solved, I need your help anyone who can help me thank

Please i need a HELP

att

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update to how to un-brick your Novo8

step 1
download to your computer running windows xp
1."usb image tool" from http://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/download/

2."microsoft netframework" from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=22

3."novo-8-07-19 image file" from http://www.ainol.com/rar/novo8tools20110719.zip

4."empty bootsector" from http://www.alexpage.de/download/usbit/bootsector.img

Step 2 on your computer running windows xp
1.install netframework
2.install usb image tool
3.insert Micro sd card into your computer(use "empty bootsector" to reformat your Micro sd card)
4.launch usb image tool, restore "Novo 8 update image" from Novo-8-07-19 folder

step 3
1.insert Micro sd card into Novo8
2. press Vol+ and power buttons for 20 seconds, when screen blink, release the buttons
3. firmware will be automatically restored
4. once restored it will try to reboot - be sure to remove the card (if you wont do it, i think that it wont boot)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi... I am new to this forum and i am here because i want to find a solution for my dead/bricked tablet. It is an Ainol Novo 8 Mini. (Ainol Novo 8 Mini Spex) straight 1 month of use, it stopped booting up and kept rebooting into the stock recovery. I format it to no result.

Yesterday downloaded the stock rom on 1st post here by -Dragon2night- (Thank you) and flashed using Action tool. I got the tablet to open with USB/DC cable connected but as soon as i remove it- it switches off. the battery shows "uknown 0%" even connected to wall charger!!

The stock rom is way too much loaded with unusable apps/bloatware and i am thinking the solution could be flashing another rom.. Mostly battery % unknown is caused by Kernel or ROM fault.

I have found a link to cynogenmod7 for this tablet.. including 4.2.2 android version too.. but i cannot try any because i have stock 3e recovery which does not allow unsigned/un-verified zips to be flashed. Has any one been able to compile or flash CWM for this tablet? can anyone please help with providing instructions of how it can be done?

I have read use of Odin. but then again, the recovery needs to be modified as per tab specifications.

Looking forward to playing an active role and thank you every one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts