Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my new Eken m003.I've read a lot of reviews and heard about all the problems it has with its out of the box firmware. I figured, I'll download some new stuff, I mean, people have fixed some of the issues already.Problem is, there are so many different kinds.Caffeine, Darexius, 1.7.4, stc.Which one do I download and which one has fixed most of the issues?Does it make the youtube low res?Sorry if I'm sounding all noobish, but this is the only place I know of where people actually know what to do about the m003.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The simplest thing to do would be to make sure your M003 is running the "official" version 1.7.4 of the "WMT SDK". This'll ensure that you have something that will at least be more functional than the original 1.7.2 release.Aside from that, the other different ROMs all provide slightly different features, and it is really a personal preference as to which one you'd like to run. One thing that I do is keep several script folders on my SD card, named things like:script-1.7.2script-1.7.2-rootedscript-1.7.4script-1.7.4-caffeineIf I want to flash my M003 over to a different ROM, I just copy the contents of one of those directories into the "script" directory of my SD card and let it do its thing. This way, you can have a chance to test each of the ROMs and see if they meet your personal tastes.Me personally, I like to stay as close to the manufacturer's software as possible. Unless some custom ROM has a REALLY compelling feature enabled or added, I'm just stidking to the stock 1.7.4 ROM.

·
Registered
128 Posts
How do you flash with the SD card? I have the 1.7.4 on the SD card but I am not able to flash like I did (by mistake) the Dareixus port 003. I also lost alot of the apps after I put the Darexus port on the eken m003.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The SD card must have a directory called "script" (minus the quotes) on it. In that directory is where you unpack all the files needed to flash. Just pop that SD card into the slot, turn on your M003, and it should sniff out the script directory and start installing the new firmware.

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
[quote name='ratthing;23970]The SD card must have a directory called "script" (minus the quotes) on it. In that directory is where you unpack all the files needed to flash. Just pop that SD card into the slot' date=' turn on your M003, and it should sniff out the script directory and start installing the new firmware.[/QUOTE'] Remember to remove the script folder or you will flash to rom again on the next power up. Flashing Rom removes all installed apps so you have to install and configure them again. kindle books seem to need to be downloaded again.

·
Registered
128 Posts
What folder? There are many Zip files along with folders? Should I unzip the zip folders and pull the subfolders onto the sd ? is there a specific folder and/or zip that I should pull to the sd card?

·
Registered
71 Posts
i3G;23989 said:
What folder? There are many Zip files along with folders? Should I unzip the zip folders and pull the subfolders onto the sd ? is there a specific folder and/or zip that I should pull to the sd card?
After you have downloaded the ROM you want to try unpack it - the first folder should be 'script'Copy the whole folder into the ROOT of your sdcard (the main part of the sdcard, not into any other directory). So when you view the sdcard you might see some other folders but you'll also see the script folder without going into anything else.Put sdcard in your pad and start - you will know straight away if you have done it correctly

·
Registered
128 Posts
Great News, Your a Genuis. I erased the SDcard went to a PC (using Mac at first) downloaded the unofficial 1.7.4 unzipped and pull script to the SDcard inserted and started to boot. Done.Android market works and everything seems to work..ie My Videos My Photos. Seems faster.Bad News-The Youtube app is back to what I had when I opened the box and shows the url of the video and will not play. However, I was able able to play Youtube with the Darexus port 003. My question is which ROM besides the Darexus and unofficial 1.7.4 will play Youtube videos?I don't really want to go back to Dareous firmware for Youtube since I lost all the other apps mentioned above.

·
Registered
128 Posts
U could read thru miles and miles of thread but if u like u can watch some of my videos to get a birds eye view of the M002 and M003 model then read more and more on this site. The site is full of genuises of all these android tablets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.