Android Tablets Forum banner
101 - 120 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, I must admit to being frustrated, having spent several hours with my new G9 trying to update it with the new firmware. At one point I was successful, my G9 showing the correct 3-23-2012 date. That was followed several hours later, for reasons I do not understand, by a message requiring me to to a factory reset. This I did, and things have been a bit flakey ever since:

Most particularly, I have two problems:

1) The "home" key reacts (lights up) but results in no change to the tablet, no transfer to the Home screen.
2) Immediately after having redone Mr. Tasselhof's firmware upgrade, three times now, my Build Number shows as "Gemei G9 - Samsung I9100 Market. This may be related to the upgrade disallowing any reloading of the Market with a message that it is already there, despite my best attempts to remove it.

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone might offer, especially Mr. Tasselhof, whose instructions I have found to be very clear. Thanks.

Fred
I had the exact same issue as you here...
At one point I was successful, my G9 showing the correct 3-23-2012 date. That was followed several hours later, for reasons I do not understand, by a message requiring me to to a factory reset. This I did, and things have been a bit flakey ever since:

Most particularly, I have two problems:

1) The "home" key reacts (lights up) but results in no change to the tablet, no transfer to the Home screen.
What worked for me was to reformat and install Baseband version 4.00, Kernel 3.0.8 Build dated 20120319

I have experienced some instability lately from installing apps to see if I like them and uninstalling seems to be causing some issues. I may need to start over again as well but at least I have a list of apps that do work for me and I would be able to start fresh.

Cheers,
Sean

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the exact same issue as you here...

What worked for me was to reformat and install Baseband version 4.00, Kernel 3.0.8 Build dated 20120319

I have experienced some instability lately from installing apps to see if I like them and uninstalling seems to be causing some issues. I may need to start over again as well but at least I have a list of apps that do work for me and I would be able to start fresh.

Cheers,
Sean
I am new to tablets, so I would appreciate what you mean by "reformat," which I assume is what you mean by "start over?" Also, how does one locate the 10120319 build?

Thanks for your response; yesterday I felt like I was out in the wilderness with this interesting and, I think, very powerful and fun device.

Fred

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does anyone proved that hung on the official site (20120329)?, Rather than that of MrTasselhof (20120323). To know which of the 2 works better.
I have a black back with the 20120319 factory, and only work 5 points. Does anyone go more points after changing the firmware? With which of them?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Does anyone proved that hung on the official site (20120329)?, Rather than that of MrTasselhof (20120323). To know which of the 2 works better.
I have a black back with the 20120319 factory, and only work 5 points. Does anyone go more points after changing the firmware? With which of them?
I confirm that the (black-back) 20120319 factory-firmware is 5 points. However, changing over to that of Mr. T's (20120323), it changed to 10 points. I also installed the one from the official Gemei site (20120329); did not test it thoroughly but seemed to work ok and probably like the one of Mr. T's. I changed back to the one of Mr. T's, just to be on the same page with others here.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am new to tablets, so I would appreciate what you mean by "reformat," which I assume is what you mean by "start over?" Also, how does one locate the 10120319 build?

Thanks for your response; yesterday I felt like I was out in the wilderness with this interesting and, I think, very powerful and fun device.

Fred
I assume he means to opt for the "format" choice given to you by LiveSuit, when you run it. This way you should be able to clean things up
and "start over", as opposed to just installing on top of your current installation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I assume he means to opt for the "format" choice given to you by LiveSuit, when you run it. This way you should be able to clean things up
and "start over", as opposed to just installing on top of your current installation.
Thanks, apollo_el -

I apologize for my naivete; I thought I might find "format" in livesuit or livesuite, so I have been trying since yesterday to find livesuit.exe or livesuite.exe (I have seen both in these forums), but I have yet, after several tries, been able to download such a file. Two questions:

Which is it, livesuit or livesuite?
Where can I find it in downloadable form? Anybody know?

Thanks for your help!

Fred

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks, apollo_el -

I apologize for my naivete; I thought I might find "format" in livesuit or livesuite, so I have been trying since yesterday to find livesuit.exe or livesuite.exe (I have seen both in these forums), but I have yet, after several tries, been able to download such a file. Two questions:

Which is it, livesuit or livesuite?
Where can I find it in downloadable form? Anybody know?

Thanks for your help!

Fred
Fred, I'm no expert either, just a user. It is "LiveSuit", according to what the firmware folder reads. If you go to the first page of this current topic, you may download the firmware "2012-23-03-GemeiG9-ICS-4.0.3-v4.10-Firmware" zipped filed (.rar). It contains all you are asking for and need.

For instance, in the first page, click where it says: "Download Link: AndroidTabletFirmware.com - 2012-23-03-GemeiG9-ICS-4.0.3-v4.10-Firmware.rar", to get it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Then your experience is, it works better version (20120323), the later version (20120329) and firmware that corrects the problem of 10 points, if I understand correctly.
Thanks for your reply.
If you are comparing 20120323 versus 20120329, I can't tell you much..they look similar to me, but I haven't tested them extensively. 20120323 for sure changed my black back G9, from 5-point to 10-point. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you are comparing 20120323 versus 20120329, I can't tell you much..they look similar to me, but I haven't tested them extensively. 20120323 for sure changed my black back G9, from 5-point to 10-point. Hope this helps.
Thank you.
What time do you have it? What brought you installed version?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fred, I'm no expert either, just a user. It is "LiveSuit", according to what the firmware folder reads. If you go to the first page of this current topic, you may download the firmware "2012-23-03-GemeiG9-ICS-4.0.3-v4.10-Firmware" zipped filed (.rar). It contains all you are asking for and need.

For instance, in the first page, click where it says: "Download Link: AndroidTabletFirmware.com - 2012-23-03-GemeiG9-ICS-4.0.3-v4.10-Firmware.rar", to get it.
Thanks. This is so frustrating, for I am very competent with computers, having taught ccomputer-aided design at a major university of 25 years.

I tried to download the firmware several times from each site, with and without the recommended download manager, always without success. The first firmware site, AndroidTabletFirmware.com kept failing in the download manager because it was sending a site name rather than the file, besides being almost impossible to start because of its very difficult to read security type exercise. Without the download manager, I was able to get only 2/3 of the file before the download failed. The second firmware site, Sendspace.com, I tried twice, each download taking about an hour (only 1/3 the speed as the first site), then the rar extractor found the file to be corrupted. Besides that, the site virtually demanded that I download other software, one of which I'm quite sure gave me a virus (I did a restore to recover). I've spent hours today and yesterday trying to solve this . . . Waaaah!

Is there another site for the livesuit.exe? If I can find it, I think the reformatting and re-firmwaring will be easy!

Thanks again for your help, folks.

Fred

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Thanks. This is so frustrating, for I am very competent with computers, having taught ccomputer-aided design at a major university of 25 years.

I tried to download the firmware several times from each site, with and without the recommended download manager, always without success. The first firmware site, AndroidTabletFirmware.com kept failing in the download manager because it was sending a site name rather than the file, besides being almost impossible to start because of its very difficult to read security type exercise. Without the download manager, I was able to get only 2/3 of the file before the download failed. The second firmware site, Sendspace.com, I tried twice, each download taking about an hour (only 1/3 the speed as the first site), then the rar extractor found the file to be corrupted. Besides that, the site virtually demanded that I download other software, one of which I'm quite sure gave me a virus (I did a restore to recover). I've spent hours today and yesterday trying to solve this . . . Waaaah!

Is there another site for the livesuit.exe? If I can find it, I think the reformatting and re-firmwaring will be easy!

Thanks again for your help, folks.

Fred
Hi Fred,

I have compressed and posted just the LiveSuit software to my personal Dropbox.
I have sent you a private message with the link to download.

Hope that helps,

Tasselhof

·
Registered
17 Posts
Frustrating for me has been that ALL versions I achieved to download, I can not download anything from the MARKET.
I have Momo 11.20120229 FW and I did T's special rooting for momo and then I did T's Market, Build and Tweak script (nsot the root contained here).
G9 runs smoothly, but market says that can not download due to error.

Same is happening with ALL other img I have been able to download G9 2012-23-03 v4.10 or anotherone called G9 4.0.
BTW, when I run T's script to replace Market, they all say at the end Error: Market already exists.

All the rest I could not download, because they do not finish.

Any suggestion ???

Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
For those who it can be useful to use livesuite:

You enter livesuite,
LiveSiute User Wizard prompts you (or you activate it with button 3 from the left),
Once you pass all steps (Yes, Format, Yes, Next - select image -) You leave it
with "format upgrade mode" and you have a button that says "Finish", but you do not press it.

Then press at the same time Power and Vol+ button.
You kepp Vol+ button pressed and release Power button and plug the usb cable
Then you press 10 times quickly the power button (you did not release the Vol+ button).
USB connection sound appears.

If OK, the "format upgrade mode" screen disappears and Livesuite prompts you with a smaller window (format Y/N and a next one sure Y/N).
Then it runs.

Just for the ones who are having trouble with this. It took me time to find this out trying several combinations.
Sometimes I need to press the reset button before doing this process.

Hope this helps.

Bye...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello.
I received my black back G9 yesterday and the first thing I did was to update with this firmware and run the TS script. The tablet works perfect (only the sound issue) but I can´t synchronize my google calendar and contacts because when I add my google account there is no option for synchronize calendar and contacts.
Another thing is that there is no icon for contacts in the apps.
Anyone can help me?

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Frustrating for me has been that ALL versions I achieved to download, I can not download anything from the MARKET.
I have Momo 11.20120229 FW and I did T's special rooting for momo and then I did T's Market, Build and Tweak script (nsot the root contained here).
G9 runs smoothly, but market says that can not download due to error.

Same is happening with ALL other img I have been able to download G9 2012-23-03 v4.10 or anotherone called G9 4.0.
BTW, when I run T's script to replace Market, they all say at the end Error: Market already exists.

All the rest I could not download, because they do not finish.

Any suggestion ???

Thanks.
I would suggest a couple things.

1) Provided you are rooted, you can download/manually install ES File Explorer and enable root in the settings
- Then browse to /system/app and delete vending.apk
This should allow you to reinstall the market.

The other big suggestion I have for you is when you write the firmware image, use the format option so that you have a clean slate.

Tasselhof

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Hello.
I received my black back G9 yesterday and the first thing I did was to update with this firmware and run the TS script. The tablet works perfect (only the sound issue) but I can´t synchronize my google calendar and contacts because when I add my google account there is no option for synchronize calendar and contacts.
Another thing is that there is no icon for contacts in the apps.
Anyone can help me?
I think the big issue here is that we are missing some Gapps/services.
I will look in to one of the Gapps scripts and see if I can get it to work properly with our device.
If so, then I will modify my script include them.
I will also retest Google Earth, Maps (location settings), and Syncing.

If anyone else has any suggestions/tests let me know.
I will also create a separate thread to discuss these issues.

Tasselhof

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks, Tass for your quick reply.

Logging in as ROOT User
adbd is already running as root
remount succeeded
'
Upgrading Android Market
2678 KB/s (3085397 bytes in 1.125s)
2134 KB/s (3995946 bytes in 1.828s)
pkg: /data/local/tmp/com.android.vending-1.apk
pkg----5------:
pkg----6------:
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_ALREADY_EXISTS]

Vending.apk deleted with ES File Explorer in root mode, but "Failure" message still appears, even if Market application was first stopped, cache deleted, forced stop and dismounted.

And yes, each time I used Format option when running FW update.

I will continue trying, but I remember the same problem in the past with MID816R2 because of the line density in the build.prop, if I remember well.
Due to this there was some kind of compatibility check not working with market.

Let's see if we can figure it out....

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Thanks, Tass for your quick reply.

Logging in as ROOT User
adbd is already running as root
remount succeeded
'
Upgrading Android Market
2678 KB/s (3085397 bytes in 1.125s)
2134 KB/s (3995946 bytes in 1.828s)
pkg: /data/local/tmp/com.android.vending-1.apk
pkg----5------:
pkg----6------:
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_ALREADY_EXISTS]

Vending.apk deleted with ES File Explorer in root mode, but "Failure" message still appears, even if Market application was first stopped, cache deleted, forced stop and dismounted.

And yes, each time I used Format option when running FW update.

I will continue trying, but I remember the same problem in the past with MID816R2 because of the line density in the build.prop, if I remember well.
Due to this there was some kind of compatibility check not working with market.

Let's see if we can figure it out....
So... after going to /System/App and deleting Vending.apk... try also going to /data/app and see if there is a google play/vending icon in there to delete.
If so delete that one as well and try again.

Tasselhof

101 - 120 of 143 Posts