Android Tablets Forum banner
121 - 140 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I noticed the same thing. I think there's something wrong with the built in dictionary, just go back to the language section and disable it. Seems to improve performance when typing in some apps too (when it's deactivated)...

Anyone with any better ideas?

Hi everybody.

I have a new question (which is not necessarily related to this exact rom but anyway)...

When using Gmail, it underlines every word I'm writing (as if the dictionnary did not recognized them). Yet I think I've configured everything correctly in french (os language, keyboard, ...)

Any idea or solution?

Thanks.

Greg

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was able to flash my tablet as well. I don't know if black back gemei g9 is different than the white back but the only port that actually flashed was the simple port not the usb host one (the is the lower one). I managed to flash it despite the fact that the usb driver in device manager was not recognized. I noticed that when you power on the tablet in flashing mode (volume+, connect usb cable, power on) the computer sees another usb driver that will recognize. The will be nothing but black blank screen on the tablet site but Livesuit will bulge.
When you flash your tablets do u see something on the screen?

Anyway, even with the new firmware from Gemei site (that is 4.0.3, v4.10) the tablet is still freezing after only couple of minutes of usage. Sometimes it is freezing when it boots. I have to reset it every 3-5 minutes, or it would stay frozen until the battery dies. It is not by far as fast and sleek as in the youtube videos. I had the chance to play with an Asus eee tansformer pad recently. It's beyond compare.

Anyway I know now I did a bad business by buying this. Asus eee transformer was recently on promotion/liquidation price with 279$. I paid for this faulty gemei 250$ (230$+custom). It is thinner and lighter, but it is not working at all. I opened a paypal dispute and I am waiting for their answer. I don't mind shipping it back on my own cost (though this would cost me ~30$) as long as I get it refund. This should teach me a lesson for next time looking for cheap.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I noticed the same thing. I think there's something wrong with the built in dictionary, just go back to the language section and disable it. Seems to improve performance when typing in some apps too (when it's deactivated)...

Anyone with any better ideas?
Thanks for your answer.
I also think that built-in dictionnaries may have a problem... Mister T. or BearQ, any idea?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just created a driver pack from everything I could find on my PC... that I think I have used for the various tablets...

Perhaps one of them will work for you:
View attachment 5257

Tasselhof
Still no go. I do notice something strange with my tablet though. When connected, with or without USB Debugging, I could not get the system to display the drives of my tablet or my tablet's SD Card. I do have a usb mass storage coming up, but no drive letter and I even checked my device management. No drives.

I am sure this is not normal right? Usually the drives will be mounted so that you can transfer files right?

I wonder what else I can try...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having the same issues as many people on the board with random freezing, browser dropout, random resetting, screen stops working. to get the screen working I have to press the power button to get to the unlock screen, touch does not work, if I press it again to lock and then again to unlock screen will start working again. As you can imagine this is really frustrating.

Today I tried to reflash it to 2.34 GB rom just to see if it has the same issues, but now I can't get it be recognized in Livesuite. it just makes a sound and gives me and exclamation mark with no error text. I'm just not sure what to do with it.

I think the black back version seems to be terribly unstable and unreliable having read a number of complaints from so many people on different boards. I have found very few people complaining about the silver back version. Maybe they scrimped on some parts to make it cheaper, but didn't realise how many problems they would create for people.

I am getting to the point where I'm thinking I should just cut my losses and send the damn thing back...

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
I'm having the same issues as many people on the board with random freezing, browser dropout, random resetting, screen stops working. to get the screen working I have to press the power button to get to the unlock screen, touch does not work, if I press it again to lock and then again to unlock screen will start working again. As you can imagine this is really frustrating.

Today I tried to reflash it to 2.34 GB rom just to see if it has the same issues, but now I can't get it be recognized in Livesuite. it just makes a sound and gives me and exclamation mark with no error text. I'm just not sure what to do with it.

I think the black back version seems to be terribly unstable and unreliable having read a number of complaints from so many people on different boards. I have found very few people complaining about the silver back version. Maybe they scrimped on some parts to make it cheaper, but didn't realise how many problems they would create for people.

I am getting to the point where I'm thinking I should just cut my losses and send the damn thing back...
Well... for starters there are only a minor few that have a silver back tablet... so the pool for errors/complaints is extremely small compared to the black back...

That aside i am sorry to hear you are having troubles.
Have you tried flashing a different firmware w/ format.

I know for some people flash the GB ROM w/ format, then the Stock ROM w/ format, and finally loading the CHS ROM w/ format cleaned up their errors...
Seems a bit excessive I know... but worth a shot.
I would also suggest booting it once after each firmware update as it my prompt to format itself then.

Tasselhof

·
Registered
8 Posts
Still no go. I do notice something strange with my tablet though. When connected, with or without USB Debugging, I could not get the system to display the drives of my tablet or my tablet's SD Card. I do have a usb mass storage coming up, but no drive letter and I even checked my device management. No drives.

I am sure this is not normal right? Usually the drives will be mounted so that you can transfer files right?

I wonder what else I can try...
I like to just update that I manage to fix my problem with the recognizing of the driver. Basically, I used another newly install Win7 and I used one of the driver above in the pack. Not the one from SAMSUNG or the Gold though. The driver that eventually works for me is the one that after installing, it say ANDROID\...ADB Interface... Previously, no matter which driver I used, it always ends up in SAMSUNG\...ADB Interface... So its either I totally scewed up on the installation or the OS itself has been really messed up by the forceful driver install.

Just to share, I had found this soft call USBDView which you can see all the USB devices and their drivers, even if they dun show on the Device Manager. I managed to see my Gemei USB 2.0 Interface there... And I believe I saw in another thread, that deleting all the HTC xxx drivers and it works, I suppose for my case, deleting all the SAMSUNG ones will.

BTW, Mine is black and I think its pretty cool as opposed to having it white and so far so good. The only complain I have is that the range of applications for it is not that great, things that doesn't work include Angry Bird(Yes, the original and RIO refused to install!!!), EverNote and Go Weather (OMG)... I think I will need to mod my build.prop soon to mimic a Galaxy Tab or something soon...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a bit of techie so I enjoy flashing and modding,I have previously tried the CHS and non CHS roms as well as the stock rom but did not notice any improved performance or stability.

The problem right now is that I can't get in to flash mode for some reason. As I said before when I hold the vol+ and plug the cable in, it either turns the unit on or just brings up a a yellow exclamation mark on livesuite with an OK button and no error message.
I've tried formatting the internal SD and resetting the unit back to factory setting from the menu and then trying to get into flash mode again but still no joy. It is extremely frustrating...

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
I'm a bit of techie so I enjoy flashing and modding,I have previously tried the CHS and non CHS roms as well as the stock rom but did not notice any improved performance or stability.

The problem right now is that I can't get in to flash mode for some reason. As I said before when I hold the vol+ and plug the cable in, it either turns the unit on or just brings up a a yellow exclamation mark on livesuite with an OK button and no error message.
I've tried formatting the internal SD and resetting the unit back to factory setting from the menu and then trying to get into flash mode again but still no joy. It is extremely frustrating...
When you say it turns the unit on... do you mean it starts booting w/ Gemei Logo etc... or that he screen comes on and the OS is loaded?

You may want to try the other USB port also as some people have reported rare instances of that making the difference.
Just make sure your tablet is powered down completely before beginning the process.

Tasselhof

·
Registered
4 Posts
lol
Yeah It's off and starts booting (green android logo) but not every time, mainly it just gives me the exclamation mark on livesuite after pressing the power button a couple of times. I'm at work now but when I get home I can take a screenshot so you can see what I mean.

I've tried the other USB port on the unit and also another USB port on my laptop but it just isn't recognised unless I use the port closest to the power button.

Btw I appreciate your help Mr T...

·
Registered
89 Posts
I like to just update that I manage to fix my problem with the recognizing of the driver. Basically, I used another newly install Win7 and I used one of the driver above in the pack. Not the one from SAMSUNG or the Gold though. The driver that eventually works for me is the one that after installing, it say ANDROID\...ADB Interface... Previously, no matter which driver I used, it always ends up in SAMSUNG\...ADB Interface... So its either I totally scewed up on the installation or the OS itself has been really messed up by the forceful driver install.

Just to share, I had found this soft call USBDView which you can see all the USB devices and their drivers, even if they dun show on the Device Manager. I managed to see my Gemei USB 2.0 Interface there... And I believe I saw in another thread, that deleting all the HTC xxx drivers and it works, I suppose for my case, deleting all the SAMSUNG ones will.

BTW, Mine is black and I think its pretty cool as opposed to having it white and so far so good. The only complain I have is that the range of applications for it is not that great, things that doesn't work include Angry Bird(Yes, the original and RIO refused to install!!!), EverNote and Go Weather (OMG)... I think I will need to mod my build.prop soon to mimic a Galaxy Tab or something soon...
If u had applied the script, the build.prop mimic the unit as SGS2...
this will allows a better market search...and "cheats" some of the gameloft games.

I still experience some apps cant be installed (blood & glory, Angry bird original etc)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm new to all this however I have been following this thread for a while now. Everything seems to working great for me except some apps either are not supported or I get a lot of issues downloading them like "signature issues" or " app stoped working" and they shut down. How do you change to build.prop to mimic another device for example galaxy nexus etc... or can this be done for a more supported/open market. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
I'm new to all this however I have been following this thread for a while now. Everything seems to working great for me except some apps either are not supported or I get a lot of issues downloading them like "signature issues" or " app stoped working" and they shut down. How do you change to build.prop to mimic another device for example galaxy nexus etc... or can this be done for a more supported/open market. Thanks
Run my "SuperScript" located in the first post of this thread.
There is an option to load a modified build.prop which mimics the Samsung Galaxy SII.

Tasselhof

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi to all,
I received my G9 (black back, although i specifically asked to merimobiles to send me the silver one) 4 days now, and i have the common (as i can understand) problems with freezing,rebooting and apps closing all the time. The tablet with stock firmware is more stable(but) than the CHS that seems to be not working nearly at all. I want to ask if the tablet will reboot by itself at the end of the procedure, because in my case, it never reboots itself, i have to boot it manualy after i press the prompt with the chinese characters at the end of the update process.
Also every time i install a new firmware, after booting i get strange messages with chinese characters mixed with english (like "-----android phone-----", "-----command-----") giving me the impression that the update process wasn't completed (missing some services or somethong like that).
Thanks...

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Hi to all,
I received my G9 (black back, although i specifically asked to merimobiles to send me the silver one) 4 days now, and i have the common (as i can understand) problems with freezing,rebooting and apps closing all the time. The tablet with stock firmware is more stable(but) than the CHS that seems to be not working nearly at all. I want to ask if the tablet will reboot by itself at the end of the procedure, because in my case, it never reboots itself, i have to boot it manualy after i press the prompt with the chinese characters at the end of the update process.
Also every time i install a new firmware, after booting i get strange messages with chinese characters mixed with english (like "-----android phone-----", "-----command-----") giving me the impression that the update process wasn't completed (missing some services or somethong like that).
Thanks...
Gemei no longer makes the silver back one and it is believe the silver baked ones were a limited run available as test/sample machines for resellers.

I am going to give you the same advise I have given to others which seems to work.

I would suggest flashing with format and a single boot up between each (in case it wants to format itself)
Flash GB Firmware w/ format then boot once
Flash ICS Stock firmware w/ format then boot once
Flash ICS CHS firmware w/ format then boot.

Once it is loaded to the OS, run my script.

Hopefully you will have a regularly working device.
Tasselhof

·
Registered
4 Posts
When you say it turns the unit on... do you mean it starts booting w/ Gemei Logo etc... or that he screen comes on and the OS is loaded?

You may want to try the other USB port also as some people have reported rare instances of that making the difference.
Just make sure your tablet is powered down completely before beginning the process.

Tasselhof
I think I've found out why it's not working, the volume+ button seems to have stopped functioning, which would explain why I can no longer get into Flash mode. It seems these Gemei tablets are of poor build quality or they have a lack of good QA (quality assurance).

I think the best thing to do would be to send it back, can you think of an alternative in the same sort of price bracket (£175)? are there any other similar tablets but with a multi core processor?

Thanks for your help Mr T.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
I think I've found out why it's not working, the volume+ button seems to have stopped functioning, which would explain why I can no longer get into Flash mode. It seems these Gemei tablets are of poor build quality or they have a lack of good QA (quality assurance).

I think the best thing to do would be to send it back, can you think of an alternative in the same sort of price bracket (£175)? are there any other similar tablets but with a multi core processor?

Thanks for your help Mr T.
Before sending it back... you may want to open it up and look at the button switch for the volume+...
there is a very good chance that you may have pushed too hard, too many times... and the little push button has popped up/off from the board and would need to be soldered back down.
You could look at the SmartQ Ten3.
http://www.merimobiles.com/SmartQ_TEN3_9_7_inch_Dual_Core_1GB_RAM_High_Resolu_p/meri0612.htm

Tasselhof

121 - 140 of 176 Posts