Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
And according to build.prop the black PDN is running.......Cupcake, aka Android 1.5. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
ro.build.id=CUPCAKEro.build.display.id=A.1.5.27 L.2.6.27.27 R.2.8.0 B.2.0.1ro.build.version.incremental=eng.ken.20100802.165226ro.build.version.sdk=3ro.build.version.release=1.5ro.build.date=Mon Aug 2 17:32:25 CST 2010

·
Registered
112 Posts
[quote name='clockworx;47337]And according to build.prop the black PDN is running.......Cupcake' date=' aka Android 1.5. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA[/QUOTE'] Is it really running 1.5?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I can open it - here's what I see:
Code:
delta_user_remove.listkernel.binmd5sumsmodules.tgzroot.tgzsha1sumsturboboot.imgu-boot.binupdate.script
Holy carp!! The build.prop DOES say Cupcake! Joinks! Man, I'm glad my BJ's didn't have this thing on the shelves today.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
root.tgz has most of our typical stuff, including /system. it's sort of like ramdisk and system in 1. 7Zip should open it. (or any program that can do tgz, obviously)

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
So let me get this straight - similar hardware(? Not even sure about that - could it be 128MB RAM?), older OS and possibly less functionality because of it (thinking about all those Chipads as an example), AND it's at least $50 more at BJ's that what I spent for my white PDN? No thank you.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
To be fair, many people won't care what Android version it runs. This looks like the end of the hacker rep, though, once all the white ones are gone.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Huh. There are new libs, including libagl, which seems to be for "Allegro GL", a hardware accelerated GL implementation. So some stuff might work better, despite being on 1.5 :(Now I'm wondering if it can be carried over somehow..

·
Registered
246 Posts
[quote name='roebeet;47352]So let me get this straight - similar hardware(? Not even sure about that - could it be 128MB RAM?)' date=' older OS and possibly less functionality because of it (thinking about all those Chipads as an example), AND it's at least $50 more at BJ's that what I spent for my white PDN? No thank you.[/QUOTE'] Well $159.99 but thats with the $19.99 GEL CASE.. So since its packaged together, you are getting 2 things for the price, so its not really $50 more for just the Black PDN.CPG

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Very true, and of course the white PDN deal was exactly that - not MSRP. But even if this thing does better video playback I'd still be hesitant to buy it over the white one.I'm wondering why they went with 1.5 on this one. The firmware updater is very different, so maybe they're using a completely different vendor for the software.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
So....the lib directory here has libagl, libsgl, and libcorecg, all of which (after brief googling) appear to be some sort of graphics acceleration libraries. None of these exist on ours, though it appears corecg wasn't really meant to be used after 1.6 anyways. (found a note from cyanogenmod development saying "keep corecg for backwards compatability with donut).We can try to push them to 2.0 and see what happens, but my guess is they tuned the efficiency up a bit, and, if rumors are to be believed, were able to drop the RAM from 256 to 128 to cut down on hardware costs.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Yeah, the drop in RAM would be a major problem for me (if true) because that means you are basically stuck on 1.x. At least that's my understanding in regards to the hw specs for 2.x (needs 256MB RAM?). What's also interesting is that the Engadget article mentioned that the black Novel was 1.5 / 128MB RAM and I ripped them for that. Now it seems that it might have been an accurate statement, at least for the black Novel.

·
Registered
112 Posts
[quote name='roebeet;47392]Yeah' date=' the drop in RAM would be a major problem for me (if true) because that means you are basically stuck on 1.x. At least that's my understanding in regards to the hw specs for 2.x (needs 256MB RAM?). What's also interesting is that the Engadget article mentioned that the black Novel was 1.5 / 128MB RAM and I ripped them for that. Now it seems that it might have been an accurate statement, at least for the black Novel.[/QUOTE'] I wonder if Engadget knew more about the device than we thought!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Was looking around the files and such and by the looks of it, they finally got a team to work on the Novel, calling it the Polaris Project, which goes with the file name of the update:# Polaris project wpa_supplication configctrl_interface=/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicantctrl_interface_group=wifiupdate_config=1ap_scan=1Look in bold. Not important data, but just wanted to point it out

1 - 20 of 27 Posts