Android Tablets Forum banner
81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
thanks for the post and the link to the other supernova thread, it'll come handy. I saw one comment saying about this amazon's adapter http://www.amazon.co...11187567&sr=8-1 but other person refuted it and said it didn't work with his devices. Just wondering because that would be easier than getting a USB Female coupler to connect the USB cable that comes with the PDSN8 and let's say a USB keyboard.
Not all USB A to USB B mini adapters are OTG. The worst thing is a lot of resellers have no clue. I have bought a bunch of advertised OTG adapters that weren't and some that weren't listed OTG that were.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not all USB A to USB B mini adapters are OTG. The worst thing is a lot of resellers have no clue. I have bought a bunch of advertised OTG adapters that weren't and some that weren't listed OTG that were.
so the best bet would be getting a USB coupler like this:

and then connect one end to the PDSN cable that comes with it (the one to connect to PC for ADB commands) and the other end to whatever device one wants to test, like a USB stick, USB Keyboard etc ?

Because we know the USB PC cable works, so it would be a matter that the USB coupler do the right connections or the bridge.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah..... I think that was the one I ordered as well. Not working with my HDD is understandable, since the SN USB port probably doesn't put out enough volts/amps to spin it up. The memory stick I was disappointed in though. Was kind of hoping I could use it for easy file xfers to/from the SN. Haven't tried a USB keyboard yet.... the only one's I own are the pricier Logitech gaming boards with backlighting, etc.... so my "guess" is they may also require more "oomph" from the USB port to operate correctly.

thanks for the post and the link to the other supernova thread, it'll come handy. I saw one comment saying about this amazon's adapter http://www.amazon.co...11187567&sr=8-1 but other person refuted it and said it didn't work with his devices. Just wondering because that would be easier than getting a USB Female coupler to connect the USB cable that comes with the PDSN8 and let's say a USB keyboard.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A couple of questions: has anyone used "System Tuner Pro" to change LCD from 180 to let's say 160? and to change some apps start-ups as there is a lot of them starting at boot and taking precious memory resources.
I'm having a bit of a problem with an app that should extend like an inch to the right and it's not showing that part, so I was thinking that maybe changing LCD to 160 would make it work. But I don't want to do it right now as it my not boot, so if n1 has done it please let us know.

Edited: I just found out that System Tuner Pro does not allow changes to start-ups as it doesn't recognize the device as being rooted, but ES_Task_Manager does, so I did the appropriate changes.
Also thanks to Brazen for the other post about LCD changer Modder, I did change it to 160 and downloaded the modded Google Store and now I can see much more apps there listed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
All of a sudden the tablet boots and stays at the second Pandigital logo, the bootanimation. The last thing I did I remember was updating superuser.apk from Google Store.

Any clue on what's going on or how to fix this without having to reset it and loose all the work I've done installing and configuring apps?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
All of a sudden the tablet boots and stays at the second Pandigital logo, the bootanimation. The last thing I did I remember was updating superuser.apk from Google Store.

Any clue on what's going on or how to fix this without having to reset it and loose all the work I've done installing and configuring apps?
if you have adb drivers installed you could run ADB from your PC and use the following command
Code:
<br />
adb shell rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
then

Code:
adb reboot

·
Registered
34 Posts
if you have adb drivers installed you could run ADB from your PC and use the following command
Code:
<br />
adb shell rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
then

Code:
adb reboot
thanks a lot, that was the solution, just changed the command to:
Code:
adb shell su -c 'rm /system/app/Superuser.apk'
as the first didn't le me.

other things I did after getting access was taking out a bunch of stuff that was starting at boot time, and after that I reinstalled GingerBrake as I need root for titanium-backup and a couple of other apps, I first copied it to /sdcard to run locally. Seems to be holding so far.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
thanks a lot, that was the solution, just changed the command to:
Code:
adb shell su -c 'rm /system/app/Superuser.apk'
as the first didn't le me.

other things I did after getting access was taking out a bunch of stuff that was starting at boot time, and after that I reinstalled GingerBrake as I need root for titanium-backup and a couple of other apps, I first copied it to /sdcard to run locally. Seems to be holding so far.
You must still be running stock configuration because you don't get true root with that.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
how do you get 'true root' in this PDSN8 ?
you have to edit the default.prop file to enable full adb access. and su permissions. from 1,0,0,0 to 0,1,1,1.

·
Registered
34 Posts
you have to edit the default.prop file to enable full adb access. and su permissions. from 1,0,0,0 to 0,1,1,1.
you got me there for a second, I thought it was more complicated. the default.prop was the first thing I changed the same day I got it from UPS, changed the values to:

ro.secure=0
ro.allow.mock.location=1
ro.debuggable=1
persist.service.adb.enable=1

Other than that is working fine, except for the issues I mentioned about not being able to edit sometimes files in /system or in /

·
Registered
104 Posts
Would LOVE to know if anyone has come up with and ICS ROM for the PDSN8 yet. I tried the UberModROM, but didn't like the feel of it, and still had trouble getting some apps I had working after rooting with Gingerbreak v.1.2 earlier to be available or download.

There are still so many apps I would LOVE to get, but am unable to download since GooglePlay says they are 'incompatible' with my device. It sucks that they are such a monopoly on this stuff.

Also, my wife dropped hers, so it has a cracked screen, but seems to still work, in case anyone needs a tester. (We went through our credit card to get a replacement, though I don't know if they will want this cracked one back yet.)

Thanks,
Jammer

·
Registered
34 Posts
I haven't been able to fit any mini usb cable in the second port that is near to where the usb-connect-to-PC port is located. I have some sets of mini usb cables with variable ends and none fits that port, I believe that's the USB OTG port.

any suggestion on what cable to buy? I saw this nice Youtube video on the Nexus 7 usb-otg, and the cable was bought at amazon for less then $2 bucks as the description says it.

youtube video:
amazon cable: http://amazon.com/gp/product/B005QX7KYU/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=revtv-20&link_code=as3&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=B005QX7KYU

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Would LOVE to know if anyone has come up with and ICS ROM for the PDSN8 yet. I tried the UberModROM, but didn't like the feel of it, and still had trouble getting some apps I had working after rooting with Gingerbreak v.1.2 earlier to be available or download.

There are still so many apps I would LOVE to get, but am unable to download since GooglePlay says they are 'incompatible' with my device. It sucks that they are such a monopoly on this stuff.

Also, my wife dropped hers, so it has a cracked screen, but seems to still work, in case anyone needs a tester. (We went through our credit card to get a replacement, though I don't know if they will want this cracked one back yet.)

Thanks,
Jammer
ICS would be a slow performer on these tablets. and there would be even less apps available as not many, if any ICS tablets are coming out with this architecture. You can edit the build.prop to make the tablet "more compatible" but then you also run the risk of breaking compatibility with some other apps as well.

As far as the incompatibility message from Play goes, it really doesn't mean anything. pretty much any app on play can be found through other sources to be tested. Play is hardly the be all end all source for apks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
With Brazen method of changing lcd density from 180 to 160 using Play store app 'lcd density mapper', and after that downloading the fixed google play store for it, one can use Google Play Store as using a regular Samsung tab 10.1 or other ICS tablet. the apps are shown when before there was not listings.

here is the post on how to change lcd density, look for Brazen procedure:

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/36877-installing-google-play/

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not sure if I'm understanding you correctly; You are referring to the second small port, on the left looking at the SN right side up? If so, that's the micro-HDMI port, used to connect the SN to an HDMI monitor/tv, via an HDMI cable. I believe the SN side connector is referred to as "Micro-HDMI". I have one here, bought off of ########### I believe. Has the Micro-HDMI male on one end, and the standard size male HDMI on the other. Forgive me if I may have understood your post.

Jim

I haven't been able to fit any mini usb cable in the second port that is near to where the usb-connect-to-PC port is located. I have some sets of mini usb cables with variable ends and none fits that port, I believe that's the USB OTG port.

any suggestion on what cable to buy? I saw this nice Youtube video on the Nexus 7 usb-otg, and the cable was bought at amazon for less then $2 bucks as the description says it.

youtube video:
amazon cable: http://amazon.com/gp...ASIN=B005QX7KYU

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not sure if I'm understanding you correctly; You are referring to the second small port, on the left looking at the SN right side up? If so, that's the micro-HDMI port, used to connect the SN to an HDMI monitor/tv, via an HDMI cable. I believe the SN side connector is referred to as "Micro-HDMI". I have one here, bought off of ########### I believe. Has the Micro-HDMI male on one end, and the standard size male HDMI on the other. Forgive me if I may have understood your post.

Jim
the error was on my part, I totally forgot about the micro-hdmi port. what I'm referring is to the first port, it should be OTG mini-usb B port, I tried to use the same cable that connects to the PC, I used the yellow coupler as the image I posted above, to connect this cable with a usb-keyboard that it's at the same time a cover and stand for the PDSN8, but the keyboard doesn't even power up. So I'm looking into ########### to see if I can get an OTG mini-usb cable so I can connect this usb keyboard. I did order one of these adapter from china on ########### more than 6 weeks ago but seems like it got lost as I haven't received it. As kairnage mentiones sometimes OTG advertised cables are not real OTG and some that are not advertised as OTG are. So I'll have to wait for another weeks until I get this second order from ########### to see what happens.

About the micro-hdmi cable, I've seen several tips that I don't think it'll fit the PDSN8, they look wider tips and for what I read it should be a micro-hdmi type D. I order one cable and have to wait also for this to arrive to test t.

·
Registered
104 Posts
the error was on my part, I totally forgot about the micro-hdmi port. what I'm referring is to the first port, it should be OTG mini-usb B port, I tried to use the same cable that connects to the PC, I used the yellow coupler as the image I posted above, to connect this cable with a usb-keyboard that it's at the same time a cover and stand for the PDSN8, but the keyboard doesn't even power up. So I'm looking into ########### to see if I can get an OTG mini-usb cable so I can connect this usb keyboard. I did order one of these adapter from china on ########### more than 6 weeks ago but seems like it got lost as I haven't received it. As kairnage mentiones sometimes OTG advertised cables are not real OTG and some that are not advertised as OTG are. So I'll have to wait for another weeks until I get this second order from ########### to see what happens.

About the micro-hdmi cable, I've seen several tips that I don't think it'll fit the PDSN8, they look wider tips and for what I read it should be a micro-hdmi type D. I order one cable and have to wait also for this to arrive to test t.
I found a case with a USB keyboard BUILT into it, which came with it's own stand and 2 different USB to mini-USB adapters, and it works fine. The only thing, so far, that I've found that doesn't work right is the arrow keys. Instead of hitting the left arrow key to move back over the text you just typed, I had to use the up arrow key instead. Otherwise, it works great! On top of that, the case is nice, and it only cost a little over $10, WITH FREE SHIPPING. Found it on ###########. It was supposed to arrive in 3-5 days, but actually got here in about 8 days, but still a good deal, I think.

Jammer

·
Registered
104 Posts
Meanwhile I'm going to need some testers who's interested? There will be no danger just keep your old fw zip on hand and you can always revert back to it. I really need people who know how to use adb who can give me logs.
I may not be well versed in adb, but I can learn quick, if someone will teach me, and I can test.

Jammer

81 - 100 of 106 Posts