Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
This is to all the owners and potential buyers of the VI40.
This is also to me, since I am curious if it is just my Onda VI40 being slower and more unstable than expected.
Please give the biggest advantages and disadvantages in your honest opinion. Please mention the firmware version you are using.
Mine uses the CWM based V1.1 from Jayleo:

Advantages:
- Very nice screen
- Good battery life
- Pretty decent wifi range
- High speed wifi connection when It's within about 5 meters from my router
- Nice aluminium back (yes, it's aluminium, NOT plastic. Just the black parts are plastic.)
- Great video playback. 1080P 3D is NO problem at ALL.
- No real heat production on the back cover at all, very comfortable to hold in any situation.
- Sound from speakers is very loud and the sound from the headphone jack is also very, very loud.
- Front camera is pretty good at recording video.(better than the back camera)
- Showing photos is lovely on this tablet.

Disadvantages
- Rather slow webbrowsing
- A lot of games don't run on this device. It just doesn't start, it has accelerometer issues etc.
- Attaching for example a usb memory stick, usb hub or mouse/keyboard f*cks up the battery life calibration.(sorry for swearing) Some major bug makes it believe it is charging via the usb port I think when something is attached to it. Probably an easy way for the software engineers to fix some battery calibration issues that the last firmwares had. So basically, the battery calibration still hasn't been fixed in the firmware.
- A lot of 'This app isn't responding anymore' or something like that. Mostly when the error occurs, I just press 'Wait' instead of 'OK' and the app is just fine.
- No headphone recognition.
- A lot of hitches, sometimes it's smooth and then suddenly a hitch.
- Back camera isn't 5MP, it's just an interpolated 2MP photo. Recording video on the back is very laggy. Photo's taken are fine for showing on full screen, but when you start zooming in you see that the photos taken are definitely NO 5MP.
- It really is a single core. Multitasking makes the thing go bananas.
- Physical buttons aren't that great. A soft push and a clicking sound isn't always enough.(power button is fine, just the back, menu and home button)
- Some avi files don't run the audio synchonous with the video in hardware encoding mode, still software decoding does run fine with these files.

Final verdict: I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless you use it for media only.

Please share your own verdict/experiences about this tablet.

·
Global Moderator
878 Posts
I'll step through the disadvantages that you list, because, the advantages look pretty good.

First question, you say very slow web browsing - with what browser? - have you tried Opera Mobile or Mini?
When attaching something via USB, does it affect the battery life adversely, or just the reported available, calibrated life?
Apps not responding and then coming back to life, you should monitor what's using memory, try a few memory task managers to see if they help.
No headphone recognition - is that really a problem, headphones work ok?
Hitches, could come back to memory and what is actually using it.

Some of my next comments are really personal preference.
I don't understand back camera's on tablets.
Single cores can multitask, however, humans usually cannot.
It's a shame about the buttons, I had similar issues with the Witstech. However, with Android there are always soft button options and workarounds.

And the AVI files issue, that's probably down to the player, try some other players, test the AVIs on a PC to ensure that they synch.

I think it will be interesting to hear other users (on different FW) opinions, it is also important to compare this tablet with your experiences with other tablets, I know that my current "crop" of tablets, although all flawed in some way, are much better than those I had a year ago, and I'm sure, in a years time, the same will be true.

However, back to the advantages you listed, they sound pretty good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
@lvl,

I wud agree with all of the mentioned advantages with you

As far as disadvantage is concerned, few points

Camera : it seems to be 2mp interpolated to 5. However when I bought the tablet I wanted it to be my daily driver day2day activities. Tablet shud be used for skype .For photo taking I have canon t2i.

Video : try mobo player, mx player from market. I did not find any issues with any movies (avi or otherwise) with these player.

That being said, I have bought smartq ten3 for its dualcore goodnes

Sent from my onda vi40 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
597 Posts
i agree with why you should buy 1 and not as a reseller,as i test everyone and just sold my 90th,the browsing i can't understand why yours is slow,i don't just use my wifi service provider only, i use 2 others besides. And also use 2 different 3g dongle service providers.The tablet skips through connecting and skipping through pages really quick.
Games they is a few gameloft it won't play which is expected,but it plays a hell of a lot more than any other tablet i have for sale or ever sold.
The battery issue seems pretty strange i must admit, i can flash Romans rom or even Onda's and the battery will keep flashing up,after the download is finished,yet i'll reflash it again,sometimes twice and i never see it again, till i put a charger plug in for charging,it will appear then it's gone.Using a keyboard & dongle it never comes back up.
Playing things that people want mainly t.v films such as bbc iplayer,netflix,itv,4od in the UK it plays excellent,the only tablet i have that will.
I tell all my customers to use the app killer after hitting different games,youtube etc as they are running in the background which keeps the tablet or any other tablet running smoother. Headphones work ok with-out any problems.
For the $ or £ 1 of the best big screen tablets out of China up to date

·
Registered
339 Posts
i agree with why you should buy 1 and not as a reseller,as i test everyone and just sold my 90th,the browsing i can't understand why yours is slow,i don't just use my wifi service provider only, i use 2 others besides. And also use 2 different 3g dongle service providers.The tablet skips through connecting and skipping through pages really quick.
Games they is a few gameloft it won't play which is expected,but it plays a hell of a lot more than any other tablet i have for sale or ever sold.
The battery issue seems pretty strange i must admit, i can flash Romans rom or even Onda's and the battery will keep flashing up,after the download is finished,yet i'll reflash it again,sometimes twice and i never see it again, till i put a charger plug in for charging,it will appear then it's gone.Using a keyboard & dongle it never comes back up.
Playing things that people want mainly t.v films such as bbc iplayer,netflix,itv,4od in the UK it plays excellent,the only tablet i have that will.
I tell all my customers to use the app killer after hitting different games,youtube etc as they are running in the background which keeps the tablet or any other tablet running smoother. Headphones work ok with-out any problems.
For the $ or £ 1 of the best big screen tablets out of China up to date
Well, the mobile pages are pretty quick, but most of the time I want the desktop page for a better view. This is just so slow compared to my HTC Desire.
I have no problem with youtube or TED. It just some avi movies that don't play that well in hardware decoding mode, they are fine in software decoding mode.
An app killer shouldn't be needed at all. They fixed most of the issues in android 2.3, this is the first android version where an app killer was NOT recommended. I am sure 4.0.3 can handle the apps pretty nicely. I am just guessing that they messed a lot with the firmware to improve battery life.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm using an onda vi10 and since we are only talking performance here, I'm going to share since it has the same internal specs of the vi40.

Opera mobile has an option in settings to present itself as a desktop browser and it works, even the adobe "about flash" is convinced im using a desktop browser.
of all the browsers I have tried, only opera renders font and text sharply even when zooming in or out, there is no temporary blurryness like in dolphin, chrome etc especially noticeable when moving around the page so opera mobile is the browser that mostly apes the desktop experience best.

You mentioned using a custom rom.
I'm still using the 1.1 update from onda and with only the Google play script and hide ics toolbar tool.
I couldn't bother with the turbo charge script since I deemed it to complicated for me to follow.

I haven't noticed any problems with games like dead space, shadow gun, asphalt 6, etc so I'm thinking there might be something going on with your custom rom.
Try the official from again.

Now gta 3 with all options maxxed out tends to slow down but I've read it takes a dual core to play it optimally so I'm giving it some slack. t

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm using an onda vi10 and since we are only talking performance here, I'm going to share since it has the same internal specs of the vi40.

Opera mobile has an option in settings to present itself as a desktop browser and it works, even the adobe "about flash" is convinced im using a desktop browser.
of all the browsers I have tried, only opera renders font and text sharply even when zooming in or out, there is no temporary blurryness like in dolphin, chrome etc especially noticeable when moving around the page so opera mobile is the browser that mostly apes the desktop experience best.

You mentioned using a custom rom.
I'm still using the 1.1 update from onda and with only the Google play script and hide ics toolbar tool.
I couldn't bother with the turbo charge script since I deemed it to complicated for me to follow.

I haven't noticed any problems with games like dead space, shadow gun, asphalt 6, etc so I'm thinking there might be something going on with your custom rom.
Try the official from again.

Now gta 3 with all options maxxed out tends to slow down but I've read it takes a dual core to play it optimally so I'm giving it some slack. t
Since the VI10 uses a different screen resolution, I think it supports more games.
Asphalt 6 for example is not playable at all, it lags BIG time. Shadow gun also lags a tiny bit, but it's very playable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ive had my Vi40 now for about 4 weeks.... these are my impressions...

The screen - nothing more can be said, but gorgeous! it scores a solid 10/10 from me - as bright, crisp, colourful as an ipad2...
Tablet responsiveness - its pretty good, original firmware was a little laggy, but newer onda and finally TNT firmwares make the ui a joy to use
WiFi - I find it slow to pickup new networks after being asleep - the signal can sometimes be a little iffy... certainly not as strong as a centrino advanced N or iphone4
Media - the way this chews through HD movies is pretty impressive - playing back a 4GB mkv has almost no impact on battery life - scrubbing to any point in the playback is instantanious, I was super impressed at that!

Internet browsing - now this has upset me somewhat, I didnt expect a full desktop experience, but its crucifying! I have tried Browser, boat browser, chrome, opera, dolphin... by the time it takes to render a fairly simple page my laptop, iphone, or even windows mobile 6 device will have completed the task possibly 10 times faster! Opera Mini is an acceptable browser, just. I cant for the life of me understand how such a task is handled so poorly by this device.

Google market/play store - it seems that quite a few software titles are still not compatible, which is a shame... as I know that there is no reason they shouldnt work! (some i downloaded from the chinese onda store) I think google should just allow any title to be downloaded, but with a big compatiblility disclaimer.

All in all, I like this toy, for £150 its a good buy and i can put up with ts shortcomings, out of the box it needs quite a bit of experimenting to to find the best apps for day to day tasks, so I think its hard reccomend it to someone that is a bit of a novice or someone who has played with an ipad, but doesnt want to splash £600 on a tablet...

·
Registered
70 Posts
After calibration and a few charge/discharge cycles, am still experiencing a Battery Drain of over 2% every hour on Standby mode with Screen-off.

Also, the drain-off increases when the Battery level drops below 50%, to almost 30% within the hour!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After calibration and a few charge/discharge cycles, am still experiencing a Battery Drain of over 2% every hour on Standby mode with Screen-off.

Also, the drain-off increases when the Battery level drops below 50%, to almost 30% within the hour!
Yep, I have the same issues!
At this point, I started to just accept the bad battery calibration. I just play with it until it dies, and then I recharge it. I see this as the only option to calibrate the battery right now. :/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there!

I completely agree with the pros and some of the cons. Especially the original browser is awfully slow. IMHO the only useable browser is Opera, though it still is a little slow.

About standby times: Mine looses 0.7 % per hour with wifi on, when going to flightmode it looses about 1% in 7 hours. This night I tried an app "Auto airplane mode". It automatically switches to airplane mode in standby, see battery logfile below.

I use firmware 1.1, modified by maddog.

Cheers,
Carsten

2012/05/11 21:53:43,307mA,18%,3.69V
2012/05/11 22:23:46,8mA,18%,3.669V
2012/05/11 22:53:48,44mA,18%,3.669V
2012/05/11 23:23:50,32mA,18%,3.669V
2012/05/11 23:53:53,12mA,18%,3.669V
2012/05/12 00:23:55,7mA,18%,3.669V
2012/05/12 00:53:58,8mA,18%,3.669V
2012/05/12 01:24:00,6mA,18%,3.669V
2012/05/12 01:54:02,6mA,18%,3.669V
2012/05/12 02:24:05,24mA,18%,3.669V
2012/05/12 02:54:07,7mA,17%,3.637V
2012/05/12 03:24:09,41mA,17%,3.637V
2012/05/12 03:54:12,52mA,17%,3.637V
2012/05/12 04:24:14,14mA,17%,3.637V
2012/05/12 04:54:16,24mA,17%,3.637V
2012/05/12 05:24:18,39mA,17%,3.637V
2012/05/12 05:54:20,17mA,17%,3.637V
2012/05/12 06:24:23,26mA,17%,3.637V
2012/05/12 06:54:26,7mA,17%,3.637V

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Try Boat Browser Mini - It rocks
... Stupid fast browsing at least on Baseband 1.1 firmware. Opera Mini is also extremely fast, my only issue with it is that you can't change the user agent....

·
Registered
62 Posts
hi guys my first post,recently got my vi40 elite V3 ,
whish this thread had been started before then,as i would not have bought it,
the seller forgot to put charger back in the box,came with v1.0 firmware which was not too bad to use straight out of box.
Market worked
wifi worked well
mine has plastic back cover (is this how they are coming now)
squeaks when you pick it up
for a tablet that was i say WAS supposed to be THE tablet deos not have the support (especially after 3 versions of it)
maybe if it stayed at 2.3 there would be a buzz to get to ice cream
Soon it may end up dead in the water,
the seller i bought it from,Witstech on dhgate has since dropped it by 22 $, is this the beginning of the end of this tablet
so many new tablets coming out that are cheaper,and with better specs,battery being the foremost update. All with ips screens and the A10
I just wish i had waited

·
Registered
597 Posts
hi guys my first post,recently got my vi40 elite V3 ,
whish this thread had been started before then,as i would not have bought it,
the seller forgot to put charger back in the box,came with v1.0 firmware which was not too bad to use straight out of box.
Market worked
wifi worked well
mine has plastic back cover (is this how they are coming now)
squeaks when you pick it up
for a tablet that was i say WAS supposed to be THE tablet deos not have the support (especially after 3 versions of it)
maybe if it stayed at 2.3 there would be a buzz to get to ice cream
Soon it may end up dead in the water,
the seller i bought it from,Witstech on dhgate has since dropped it by 22 $, is this the beginning of the end of this tablet
so many new tablets coming out that are cheaper,and with better specs,battery being the foremost update. All with ips screens and the A10
I just wish i had waited
plastic back?

·
Registered
62 Posts
The back that is that aluminium color sounds very plasticky when you tap it,sounds the same as the black plastic parts,are there fakes around?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The back that is that aluminium color sounds very plasticky when you tap it,sounds the same as the black plastic parts,are there fakes around?
Are you sure that you have an Onda VI40?
The back is silver colored aluminium... (with two black plastic parts at the bottom and top)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks,makes me feel a bit better,
how about the creaking noises, especially when you press down in centre of screen,
are you going to try the Angel V2 rom

1 - 20 of 37 Posts