Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, both Eken M001 and Archos 7 are home tablets, devices designed to home use not something that you carry with yourself to use in street/school/bus/car/McDonald's, although I not disregard the possibility of changes in a not distant future through some battery hack. :- Honestly, 2 hours of battery life is a big turn down for any "mobile" device. Sorry for my poor English, I'm from Brazil.

·
Registered
103 Posts
[quote author=Edzward link=topic=37.msg351#msg351 date=1273864442] Well, both Eken M001 and Archos 7 are home tablets, devices designed to home use not something that you carry with yourself to use in street/school/bus/car/McDonald's, although I not disregard the possibility of changes in a not distant future through some battery hack. :- Honestly, 2 hours of battery life is a big turn down for any "mobile" device. Sorry for my poor English, I'm from Brazil. [/quote]Well i gues when i got mine and had the battery changed, i could use it anywhere.I just need to set my omnia mobile as a wifi spot

·
Registered
143 Posts
Let's not kid ourselves... price/performance is EVERYTHING!For $50 or $60 difference, the Archos wins hands-down.But for those getting their Ekens for $60, $70 or $80... the comparison changes dramatically. The dramatic price difference shifts everything in favor of the Eken, even with the big difference in battery life. Don't forget, with a simple external battery pack, any device can be extended. I still own my beautiful leather case with the built-in battery which was designed for the Newton... back in the mid-90s! I'm hoping the Eken will fit the case and a new battery can be easily adapted to the slot.I had been anticipating the Archos, but after reading the new reviews, it really appears it's not drastically different from the other little Chinese slates hitting the market in great numbers now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
[quote author=sudermatt link=topic=37.msg112#msg112 date=1273786120]http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/13/archos-7-home-tablet-review/I kid you not....no accelerometer[/quote]An accelerometer does not make up for the other shortcomings the Eken has versus the Archos. The video issues and battery issues alone settled that matter entirely.Other than the accelerometer, the other complaints about the Archos 7 HT on that review all apply to the Eken, and some of them even more so.Don't get me wrong, as I said in my reviews on Mobileread, I'm happy with the purchase, but the Eken doesn't hold up to the Archos 7 HT at all feature wise.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't think anyone is buying the Eken for $60. I understand large quantity wholesale is $80, and lowest retail prices are $100 or so. I paid $130 to get it early. I knew I was an early adopter and expected issues, but I'm pretty disappointed with the Eken's performance. Everything is sluggish, video is worthless, and even ebook reading is very slow. I'm hoping the rom modders can improve the performance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i paid ?80 for my m001 and the archos is going to retail at ?130 but i think the archos looks the better device, the processor in the m001 seams really slow, and i cant see how im ever going to use mine where the archos looks a much better device:archos / m001able to play most videos / unable to play any videos4 hour battery / 2 hour batteryscreen looks good / the screen is very poor1ghz processor / 600mhz processor (if specs are to be believed)im really thinking of ebaying mine at the moment

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm not totally satisfied with my Eken but at the same time I don't feel the current Archos offering is the way to go.Sure, it's somewhat better than the Eken but not enough to go that way.If the Archos offered iPad performance for the price, I would quickly jump on that bandwagon.An iPad is drastically better than an Eken but is also drastically more expensive as well.The Archos is somewhat better than an Eken at a somewhat higher price.Both the Archos and the Eken would have to be classified as 'a poor man's iPad'... neither one of them come close to it's elegance and performance.Perhaps in the next few months we will see Archos-priced devices ($200) with performance way-out of Eken's league. That will be worth investing in. Until then the low-priced Eken is a good 'hold-over' device... we're not out the big bucks but we have something to toy around with in the meantime.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Got the Archos 7 HT today.Initial impressions are that it is significantly more responsive, video playback is a lot smoother and plays higher bit rate videos, 8GB built in internal storage, wifi range is about the same, but the wifi connections are more stable.The lack of an accelerometer is a notable issue, but the other strengths I've already noticed make it a better device. If you are not in need of an open more customizable device, or if video is high on your list of priorities, the Archos 7 HT is the device to get. And as for the more open part, the ArchosFans.com community is pretty active, will be interesting to see how it goes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts