Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if everyone has seen this but it is the FCC test report for the new black version. Contains images of outside and inside and manual.Looks like the case on this one is secured with screws. Not sure if there is any real difference between the black and white in terms of functionality. It's using the Samsung 6410 ARM processor which assume the white one is too. https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas...ame=N&application_id=933054&fcc_id='POTPRD07TBattery looks different and there doesn't seem to be a micro sd card. I guess the 2gig ram is part of the circuit board and ram can old be upgraded via the external sd.No word from Kohls regarding my raincheck and the Mrs called in yesterday and CS said they had no idea when the white ones would be in stock.Just as a matter if interest, does anyone know if there is any recording circuit built in. No external mic from what I can see but was wondering if a headphones mic would work. Be neat if it could because then there would be a possibility of voice calls over Fring when on wifi.I can't find the FCC for the white one to compare.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Someone explain to me how the black is not entirely inferior to the white...Doesn't the black have to come out cheaper than the white based on these specs and pics? Seriously, they're not marketing to "hackers" like us, but doesn't everyone understand that less upgradability and few speakers aren't replaced by black color and a stylus?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote name='lawman;16168]Someone explain to me how the black is not entirely inferior to the white...Doesn't the black have to come out cheaper than the white based on these specs and pics? Seriously' date=' they're not marketing to "hackers" like us, but doesn't everyone understand that less upgradability and few speakers aren't replaced by black color and a stylus?[/QUOTE'] Hey, lawman, I'm with you. I'd also say the black one was a bit of a downgrade. I like the idea of slipping an internal SD card in to beef up the memory and still having the external slot free

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Creates a dilemma... any idea if they are going to replace the white with it? If so, I may have to keep the extra one I got...In some of the emails I've seen around they say something about making the black for "form factor" because it has less glass, blah blah. I wonder if it's really just cheaper to make, so they can make more profit off it. Starting to look that way.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote name='lawman;16176]Creates a dilemma... any idea if they are going to replace the white with it? If so' date=' I may have to keep the extra one I got...In some of the emails I've seen around they say something about making the black for "form factor" because it has less glass, blah blah. I wonder if it's really just cheaper to make, so they can make more profit off it. Starting to look that way.[/QUOTE']I don't know but I would say that it will replace the white one. I'd guess that the novel DNA springs from a photo frame Pandigital made. Electronics guys kludged a new board or added a daughter board to take care of memory and i/o for the white 1st gen. Then they went to a refined PCB with memory integrated. It saves on components like an SD card holder, 2nd speaker etc. Only cents yes but if they manufacture a bunch it all adds up to cost savings. Of course no idea if they went for a different screen or anything else for the 2nd gen. I know the screen is resistance but I'm sure there are good, bad and ugly depending on the manufacturer and price.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Black Model - Matte screen (!), color looks better (IMO), stuck with 2gbWhite Model - Better if you want more memory (glad I have this one)I guess I haven't played with the SD slot a ton, but doesn't it seem that it is meant to simply upload files to the on-board card? It doesn't look like you can leave a card in to store files on or install programs to. Maybe that could change with this community's help. It would be awful sweet to pop a 32gb SD in and have 48gb of on-board storage...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm no electronics wizz but I would say that the white version sets aside the internal SD card for use as its internal memory. You can bump that to say 32 gig max. It means you can use the external card to load large files into the internal memory where it can be accessed quicker.With the black one internal memory tops out at an onboard 2gig. So if my assumption is correct that the onboard memory is accessed faster than the external, the black model is at a disadvantage when it comes to large files.Say you have a 5 gig pdf file you want to read. With the white novel and say 8 or 16 gig micro SD card on board you can transfer the 5 gig file from external SD to internal microSD. With the black version the 5 gig file has to be read from the external card or some kind of page switching goes on between internal and external. That has to be slower. Unless of course the read write speeds to / from the cpu to the external and internal SD cards / memory are the same. Personally I doubt it. I'd always plump for internal onboard memory to have faster access times.Hmmmmmm, I'm beginning to hope that when they hit our local Kohls they are the white version.

·
Banned
1,334 Posts
Some interesting facts in the FCC filing. For one, the schematics show an Edge module to connect to cellular data networks. The manufacturer has attested that this module will not be implemented on this device and will be left off the mainboard. A future cellular capable device in the cards for the future obviously. Also, the OEM is Inventec Appliances Corp., a large Taiwanese electronics manufacturer who makes products for Apple (iPod among others), HP (upcoming slate tablet), the Amazon Kindle and many more. So I presume the build quality on this things will be top rate as this company has experience manufacturing for the heavy hitters in the IT industry.

·
Registered
591 Posts
cheepoguy;16157 said:
Not sure if there is any real difference between the black and white in terms of functionality. It's using the Samsung 6410 ARM processor which assume the white one is too.
according to cpuinfo, the white one has a 6410 too:processor : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 6 (v6l)BogoMIPS : 132.71Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java CPU implementer : 0x41CPU architecture: 7CPU variant : 0x0CPU part : 0xb76CPU revision : 6Hardware : SMDK6410Revision : 0000Serial : 000000000000000

·
Registered
87 Posts
[quote name='rspray;16228]Black Model - Matte screen (!)' date=' color looks better (IMO), stuck with 2gbWhite Model - Better if you want more memory (glad I have this one)I guess I haven't played with the SD slot a ton, but doesn't it seem that it is meant to simply upload files to the on-board card? It doesn't look like you can leave a card in to store files on or install programs to. Maybe that could change with this community's help. It would be awful sweet to pop a 32gb SD in and have 48gb of on-board storage...[/QUOTE'] After reading all that I can find here... I was on my way to buy a PDN at BBB... then I noticed this thread. The inability to upgrade the internal memory of the unit is a deal breaker for me. If the new unit is limited to 2gb, as stated here, that just isn't enough for my purposes. Especially when video and music files are taken into account. Too bad really. I was prepared to accept the limitation of the buttons, the hassle with rooting the device, the use of ADB to install new apps... all of that actually sounded like a fun toy to play with. But the limited memory, it is a deal breaker for me.After reading the manual online, at the FCC site linked above... it is clear to me, that the external SD card is only marginally useful. It can be used to import files, like music and video, into the device, but there doesn't appear to be anyway to use these types of files without importing them. Books can be read from the SD card though, so it could be useful to expand the library of books... oh well, I will keep looking. There is my perfect device out there somewhere.. The original white PDN was close enough, I was ready to get it. But then they "improved" it... with a downgrade.

·
Registered
87 Posts
[quote name='rspray;16320]pawnslinger' date='The memory is upgradable on the white model (I have 16gb in mine), which is the only one you can buy right now. It's the black model (unreleased) that has what we think is un-swapable memory.[/QUOTE'] The black unit is in my local BBB, I went to see it yesterday. I wouldn't know where to buy the white one, perhaps I could buy it at Kohl's, but it is more expensive there.At least BBB had the black one on demo. I didn't actually open the package, so I guess it could have been a white one inside. Without opening the box, how could you tell?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Are you sure there wasn't a white frame around a black square (bezel)? That would be the first example of someone seeing the black version in the wild, and PD CSR's have said the black version hasn't shipped. Kohl's today has the white version very cheap after rebate (<$120), see other people's posts.

·
Registered
87 Posts
[quote name='rspray;16330]Are you sure there wasn't a white frame around a black square (bezel)? That would be the first example of someone seeing the black version in the wild' date=' and PD CSR's have said the black version hasn't shipped. Kohl's today has the white version very cheap after rebate (<$120), see other people's posts.[/QUOTE'] The demo unit I saw yesterday was all black. They said at the store, that they had just received them yesterday. My wife tells me that I should be able to tell without opening the box, because the white unit is 1gb, and the new unit is 2gb. I don't recall what it said on the box... it was sealed, so I didn't look inside. I didn't know yesterday that this would be a big issue. Guess I need to go back to BBB and look more closely.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
[quote name='rspray;16330]Are you sure there wasn't a white frame around a black square (bezel)? That would be the first example of someone seeing the black version in the wild' date=' and PD CSR's have said the black version hasn't shipped. Kohl's today has the white version very cheap after rebate (<$120), see other people's posts.[/QUOTE'] I don't think thje black has fcc approval yet. I think snapping these up at 120-180 $ is a grrreat idea... It looks like they know they built a hacker's wet-dream and are preparing the cold-shower.

·
Registered
87 Posts
lawman;16338 said:
I don't think thje black has fcc approval yet. I think snapping these up at 120-180 $ is a grrreat idea... It looks like they know they built a hacker's wet-dream and are preparing the cold-shower.
Okay, I revisited the local BBB and the demo unit is definitely black -- _BUT_ the boxed, for sale, units are the ones with the white border and 1gb of internal memory. So it is the one with the replaceable micorSD card. Now, I need to buy a 16gb microSD... guess I'll start with Newegg. Anyone have any ideas exactly what is lost when you change the microSD card? I assume the normal FAT format is what is needed??

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Copy everything to the new SDcard and nothing is lost. Use an adapter....Also, let's get some perspective here. The novel has, at the moment, a micro sd card and an sd card. If the micro is replaced with 2gb, that's still the same amount as most of the apads and ekens on here, and we also have the sd card. The ipad is not user upgradable at all. That said, scoop up the white ones... I think pandigital is about to correct a mistake.

·
Registered
87 Posts
[quote name='lawman;16384]Copy everything to the new SDcard and nothing is lost. Use an adapter....Also' date=' let's get some perspective here. The novel has, at the moment, a micro sd card and an sd card. If the micro is replaced with 2gb, that's still the same amount as most of the apads and ekens on here, and we also have the sd card. The ipad is not user upgradable at all. That said, scoop up the white ones... I think pandigital is about to correct a mistake.[/QUOTE'] Good points! I will need to make sure I have a interface for my computer. I have a usb reader for standard SD cards, I think some of the microSD cards come bundled with an SD adapter. I hadn't thought about copying the files to the new SD card, but that should work easy. Thanks for the tip!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.