Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Folks,I am a new joiner here, I recently bought white PDN but thinking of returning it after I saw FCC documents submitted by PDN for new black version. I have seen comments about black version will be crappy on forums here, that is not true! look at the link belowhttps://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas...ame=N&application_id=933054&fcc_id='POTPRD07TLook at the last link on the page above for user manual for black version, it shows 2GB internal memory, new Wi-fi on/off button, SD card slot and most important 2700mAh battery vs 1700mAh in current white version. Also note that user manual is missing the section where PDN advises us to use fingernail to properly register touch. I don't know if it means they have changed the screen from resistive to capacitive or just dropped that section to avoid embarassment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks like they fixed a few design issues of the white version like moving the headphone jack to the top. I don't think this one has the capacitive screen - they just added a stylus. Can't wait to see the price on this one!

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
It's craptastic. Bigger battery is nice, but look:internal memory is hardwired - no jamming in a 16gb micro sd cardsingle speaker on the rear - not stereoUnless the processor is faster, I won't even consider getting a new one. In fact, I'm stockpiling a white in the box. Pandigital, if you're listening, your next gen should have 3g support possible, gps possible, and a faster processor. Also, charging by usb is an absolute essential. Don't ship anything else without that feature.

·
Registered
294 Posts
[quote name='lawman;19394]It's craptastic. Bigger battery is nice' date=' but [URL=look:internal]look:internal[/URL] memory is hardwired - no jamming in a 16gb micro sd cardsingle speaker on the rear - not stereoUnless the processor is faster, I won't even consider getting a new one. In fact, I'm stockpiling a white in the box. Pandigital, if you're listening, your next gen should have 3g support possible, gps possible, and a faster processor. Also, charging by usb is an absolute essential. Don't ship anything else without that feature.[/QUOTE']If we are asking..... then I want a front facing camera too :eek:I wonder if we can source the bigger batteries and install them in the white ones

·
Registered
96 Posts
At this point... all we can do is speculate.Charging by USB would be very important and for god sakes... a better CPU.If you are going to make an upgrade, why not bother to put in a better CPU>

·
Registered
79 Posts
jaydeepshah;19186]Folks said:
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=933054&fcc_id=%27POTPRD07T[/url]Look at the last link on the page above for user manual for black version, it shows 2GB internal memory, new Wi-fi on/off button, SD card slot and most important 2700mAh battery vs 1700mAh in current white version. Also note that user manual is missing the section where PDN advises us to use fingernail to properly register touch. I don't know if it means they have changed the screen from resistive to capacitive or just dropped that section to avoid embarassment.
The white one actually has a higher capacity battery - 1600 mah at 7.4 volts! That's a pretty good reason not to charge through the USB port. The black one goes back to a 3.7 volt, 2800 mah battery. It has a 2 A charger. I think the power in a USB port is limited to around 0.5A isn't it? I don't know if a standard USB connector could handle 2A without overheating or not. Again, a good reason not to charge through the USB port.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
So it's super-mega craptastic. The white release specs differed a bit. I want to see what the black release specs look like when it happens. I expect to be sorely miffed, but let's see what they deliver.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I think you guys are dreaming. this thing is an ereader, not a tablet. if you want a faster cpu, camera, 3g, etc right now, you need to look elsewhere. as long as they are trying to primarily sell this thing as an ereader, it will more or less look like this.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
The trash heap has spoken... Nyaaaah!!If any of you don't get that, stay out of Yoda's way.

·
Registered
592 Posts
[quote name='tnkclark;19420]The white one actually has a higher capacity battery - 1600 mah at 7.4 volts! That's a pretty good reason not to charge through the USB port. The black one goes back to a 3.7 volt' date=' 2800 mah battery. It has a 2 A charger. I think the power in a USB port is limited to around 0.5A isn't it? I don't know if a standard USB connector could handle 2A without overheating or not. Again, a good reason not to charge through the USB port.[/QUOTE'] the .5 a limit just means it will take longer to charge. that's all.

·
Registered
294 Posts
[quote name='derelicte;20294]I think you guys are dreaming. this thing is an ereader' date=' not a tablet. if you want a faster cpu, camera, 3g, etc right now, you need to look elsewhere. as long as they are trying to primarily sell this thing as an ereader, it will more or less look like this.[/QUOTE'] I would agree with you. It is an ereader but it has advantages over any of the Chinese aPad offerings in that it can be bought in a local store, it can be taken back and it looks to be a solid construction and even at full price is way less than 200 bucks. It has the potential to be faster than out of the box and do more. Yep it doesn't have a camera, can't record and has a soso battery life, but its relatively cheap and reliable.I had an iPad. Liked it a lot. bit too big but had loads of apps and for a relatively small outlay buying apps ended up being a pretty cool piece of kit. Fairly useless out of the box, I felt, but with goodreader and a few select apps it took off. The next version should have a front facing camera and be even better......... BUT.... I was paying a bunch of money for something that actually didn't come close to competing with my 300 dollar 10 inch netbook for actually doing work sitting on a plane or in an airport or hotel..... much of my daily life unfortunately..... BUT..... the netbook has a sucky battery life, reads books and PDF files in the wrong orientation and just doesn't cut it for casual email, surfing and chatting with she who must be obeyed.. The iPad excelled at reading and battery life and chatting was usable except when holding the thing for a long time.If I could find something like the PDN - 7 inch (800 x 600 screen), 4 - 5 hours battery life, front facing camera and a decent speed, doesnt even have to have capacitance screen for 200 - 250 smackaroonies, I'd be all over it. If it could do skype with video it would be perfect. hell, throw in a GPS chip and we are talking ear to ear grin. Don't think it is going to happen and everything I've seen that comes close is 800 x 480, just not wide enough for the ebook reader part in my opinion. That's what I would like to see. Bit of a dream really. 120 - 150 bucks (with coupons, rebates etc) for the PDN almost puts it into disposable toy category. $540 for the iPad is a wad of cash

·
Registered
19 Posts
I really think they're making a mistake with the black model having a recessed screen. Of all the other changes, this one is the one that stands out to me as the worst change. It makes it harder to tap a stylus/fingernail on the edges. We've had years of people complaining about recessed screens on Windows Mobile devices and I'm actually shocked that they would take a step backwards and move from the nice flush touchscreen on the white model to the recessed screen on the black one.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
JoeProcopio;20425 said:
Trash Heap from Fraggle Rock right?
[yoda]Proud you must be. Wise in the ways of handpuppets are you. [Giggle].

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.