Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread should serve as the community FAQ about the device and provide a port-of-call for those having difficulties. Please help us to improve it by submitting/answering any questions you may have.I have heard mixed reviews about the SlateDroid (Eken M001) and can't decide whether I should buy it or not. Help?
  • So long as you understand you're paying $100 and that you're not going to get the world's most amazing tablet PC then you shouldn't be disappointed with what you get. We have a thread of user experiences which you can check out and see what others have to say about the device.
Why can't I make a proper connection with the device when I go to plug it into my computer?
  • Probably due to the fact the device has been rushed to service, the connector that is supplied with the Eken is not very well designed at all. It has been confirmed that using a standard iPod connector ensures that a decent link is made between the device and the computer.
Why does the screen seem so unresponsive when using my fingers?
  • The touch screen is of a type which is more suitable and responsive to use with a pen or stylus. Using either of these will help considerably with scrolling speed and accuracy, but it's not the end of the world if you have to make-do without. If it's really bugging you then using the tip of your fingernail will make it slightly better.
I can't access Android Market. Are there any other ways of easily installing apps?
  • Yes, there are many other market-type applications out there that will allow you to easily download and install apps. Check out the Android Market Alternatives list here for more info. One of the possibilities for a future ROM release is getting Android Market and the official Google Apps installed.
My device keeps on hanging at certain menus and is generally quite slow and unresponsive. What can I do to fix this?
  • Again, as a result of being rushed into service, the original firmware is quite inefficient and bloated - hence the slowdowns. Fortunately, one of our community members (thanks go out to ikanos) has provided us with an early firmware update (which we believe hasn't been released publicly yet). This update vastly improves the responsiveness of the device and also fixes some of the earlier issues such as screen-orientation. Check the thread here on how to download + update the firmware.
I have obtained the latest firmware, but how do I install it?
  • [Until the custom SlateDroid ROM is released we suggest you should use the official firmware. For instructions on how to do this check the thread here.
I have followed the instructions above correctly but it won't recognize the update and returns with "No update found". How can I update it?
  • For some reason the device does not like updating from large SD cards, trying using a smaller one (around 256MB).
What speed is my device running at? Some sellers are claiming 300MHz, 600MHz or 800MHz - which is it?
  • Truth be told we're not actually sure (for the moment). The processor is the WM8505 which according to the data sheets runs at 300MHz , and the memory is actually DDR2 @ 677MHz. We're hoping there is some overclocking potential in this thing, perhaps an increase to 450MHz might be possible - but don't count on it. If you want some more in-depth information on the device we suggest you take a look in our Technical Documents Section.
My device is full of Chinese crapware that I have no intention of ever using. Is there any way to get rid of it without going through and manually un-installing each application?
  • Matt has found a means of being able to add/remove packages to the firmware updates after they have been downloaded. This will allow you to add your own applications and remove any Chinese crapware before it is installed to the device. Follow the guide here.

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm currently using the pen from my Wacom tablet - works a treat. Although I haven't taken the screen protector off yet so it sometimes catches on bubbles/lumps which can get quite annoying.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I want to purchase a memory card for this thing before I receive it. What card do I get? Seems MicroSD is the most used card these days. I cannot find many SD cards anywhere. So is it plain old SD cards? if so can I get a MicroSD with a convert er to SD and use that?

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I want to purchase a memory card for this thing before I receive it. What card do I get? Seems MicroSD is the most used card these days. I cannot find many SD cards anywhere. So is it plain old SD cards? if so can I get a MicroSD with a convert er to SD and use that?
I don't see anything wrong with doing that, although I'd stick with plain old SD myself just to be on the safe side. Report back if you manage to get it working (no reason why it shouldn't).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had internet connection and then updated the firmware, now it just says "unable to connect, please select again" or just says disconnected under my wifi on/off function button. Any one had this problem, I really want to get back on line!any help would be great. thanks alot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had internet connection and then updated the firmware, now it just says "unable to connect, please select again" or just says disconnected under my wifi on/off function button. Any one had this problem, I really want to get back on line!any help would be great. thanks alot.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Its sounds like a router issue. do you wap2 security? It is a issue with android i have the same problem with my g1. Pull the power on the router .Restart it and the eken will find it and connect hope that helps

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.