Android Tablets Forum banner
101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's funny that I can't install the Netflix app from Netflix. I have it on my HTC Evo but not on this tablet.

I'm running PhoenixMod 0805 and it's fully rooted.. Does anyone know how i can fix that?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2 Posts
i want to change my firmware....i had the 3 buttons version power menu and return ...when i press menu+ power nothing happens...and when i press return +power enters in recovery mode(wipe reset factory etc) so how do i get to the upgrade mode ??? i have the 2.3.3 version i want to change because its kinda laggy not smooth at all ty

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,I bought dropad c8 last week and i'm lovin it. I just have a minor issues with the map application. Whenever i tried to open lattitude, maps, navigation and foursquare, it is not able to locate me. Someone told me that there might be a problem with the network locator but i dont know how to fix it. any idea?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I just received my tablet today. Finnish postal system lost it so took over a month to get it but here it is at last. Great community you have here.
This is my first post so apologies if i'm asking on the wrong topic. Anyway here goes.
I'm new with the Android operating system since this is my first android device. I havent used Linux either, just Windows and mainly for gaming.
I assume that there are a lot of new android users just like me who don't really understand yet how to operate the device. I have do a lot of reading on this forum and found real useful information. My problem is that many of the posts on the main page of HeroTab C8/Dropad A8 forum, though helpful, have been created 2010 or Q1 so it's hard to pick up what's up to date and what will work the for my device best now that several new updates have come up.

So I was wondering if advanced members and other members that are well familiar with the androind operating system and dropad would be kind enought to post what they would do if they got a dropad just now. List could include information such as;
What rooting method would you use?
Which Android- Firmware and ROM-version you prefer?
What additional applications would you install?
What other adjustments would you do? (changing the function of physical keys for example)
Just a list, no reasons necessarily (don't wanna bother you anymore than I have to).

I don't need anything fancy and don't really care if it's android 2.2 or 2.3 but would like the device to be stable, perform well and have good battery life.
I would mainly use the device just for browsing, reading PDFs, watching movies via HDMI, and accasionally gaming.

Also, I have one additional guestion in mind. If I plug external usb-memory with Fat32 filesystem to the device, it works well. But when usb-memory with NTFS filesystem is plugged in, the device doesn't recocnice/find the memory at all. Is there an easy fix for this?

Here is just basic information about my device (don't know if you need it to be able to help me)
- Bought the device from the UK; http://www.retailgadgets.co.uk/SA8-Android-2.3-Tablet-1.0GHz-Samsung-A8-Cortex-Processor.html

- HaiPad M7
Processor: Samsung S5PV210 1.0GHz ARM A8 Cortex Processor
RAM: 512MB DDR 2
Built-in Memory: 8GB
Expandable Memory: up to 32GB Micro SD

- System information:
Model number
MID_Serial

- Android version

- Kernel version
MID Serials #181 Tue Jun 21 11:52:38 CST 2011

- Build number
MID Serials 2.3.1 GINGERBREAD 20110622.181037

I own a 4 gig external micro-sd card (noticed that some card sizes would cause troubles when flashing and so on...)

Thanks a lot in advance everyone

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Just posted a new FAQ video
[FAQ] - Android - General Introduction and How To Guide

Hopefully this can help those that are just starting out on Android and maybe provide a couple tricks to others.
Tasselhof

·
Registered
1 Posts
WiFi VOIP sweet!

You guys helped me out with full market access, power options etc., so here's my experience with making my Dropad into a WiFi VOIP device.

BTW, I haven't had to root yet and I have pretty much everything I want on my pad now.

I purchase it about two weeks ago. It's Android 2.3. Skype worked fine, but I don't have a skype #. I wanted it to work with Google Voice.
I used GrooVe IP. The problem is the physical phone number required by Google Voice, and I didn't want to provide GrooVe IP my gmail account password. So I created another Google Voice account (and got another Google Voice phone number) and used my physical phone mobile number to do so. In the process Google disabled my mobile number from my original Google Voice account. Oh well. So I bumbled along and configured GrooVe IP (which uses google talk/chat to connect with voice) using the new Google Voice account. It worked for outgoing calls from dropad, but no incoming. I learned that enabling forwarding to Google Chat causes incoming calls to work. At this point I went back to my original Google Voice account and learned that I could reassigned my physical mobile number back to its original Google Voice account. Now my Google Voice account associated with my dropad GrooVe IP app has only Google Chat enabled as a forwarded phone. My dropad is a stand alone WiFi VOIP phone with its own Google Voice telephone number. The interesting thing is that all my gmail/droid contact info is available on my dropad because I've logged into that account as well via the droid gmail and droid google voice apps. So this effectively allows me to use all contact info with my new Google Voice account which is dedicated to my dropad.

What fun! Have a good day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's funny that I can't install the Netflix app from Netflix. I have it on my HTC Evo but not on this tablet.

I'm running PhoenixMod 0805 and it's fully rooted.. Does anyone know how i can fix that?

Thanks in advance
If doesn't show up in the market (if you have the market), either search for "netflix.apk" on google or go to getjar.com, download their market app, and it should be there.

HTH

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey all.

This sounds like the right place to ask.
I have a little problem with system settings not being saved once I turn off the device. Searches for this seem difficult because I dont know the best way to phrase them. "Android Settings not saving" doesn't really give many related results on Google and the search function here doesn't allow the word "not" in a search.

When I turn off my Dropad (not using the power switch, just turning off by holding power then selecting ok to shutdown), some system settings are not saved. Application settings are, but, settings like HDMI at 720P, or Gmail notification sounds do not save once I shutdown.

I am running Evolution R4 for the past few days and have broken it in just as I like so I rather not have to reflash. I suspect the problems are something to do with permissions. On other Android devices, if I have an app that forgets settings after restart, I would usually delete its settings in /data/data and that would fix it. I did that for some settings like com.android.system, but, I am not sure which app settings are involved for all the system settings. I would like the tablet to always have HDMI output at 720P (or more ideally 1080i - but not as concerned with that so long as it displays on my telly).

Thank you in advance for help with this.

Edit: Minor changes to the post + full sentence.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hey all.

This sounds like the right place to ask.
I have a little problem with system settings not being saved once I turn off the device. Searches for this seem difficult because I dont know the best way to phrase them. "Android Settings not saving" doesn't really give many related results on Google and the search function here doesn't allow the word "not" in a search.

When I turn off my Dropad (not using the power switch, just turning off by holding power then selecting ok to shutdown), some system settings are not saved. Application settings are, but, settings like HDMI at 720P, or Gmail notification sounds do not save once I shutdown.

I am running Evolution R4 for the past few days and have broken it in just as I like so I rather not have to reflash. I suspect the problems are something to do with permissions. On other Android devices, if I have an app that forgets settings after restart, I would usually delete its settings in /data/data and that would fix it. I did that for some settings like com.android.system, but, I am not sure which app settings are involved for all the system settings. I would like the tablet to always have HDMI output at 720P (or more ideally 1080i - but not as concerned with that so long as it displays on my telly).

Thank you in advance for help with this.

Edit: Minor changes to the post + full sentence.
What if you try the trick ( in settings ) of swapping the internal and external microSDHC card ?
. . . ( and the external card will be ( can be ) twice as fast and twice as big. )

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Hope someone can help me with this small problem. I have a new Herotab C8 and have inserted a 32GB Micro SDHC card into the device. I have transferred some of my MP4 video files onto the card via USB connection to my computer. At first having transferred two films over it worked fine and the videos appeared in the gallery area of the Herotab. However I then went onto transfer more at which point they all dissappeared. I tried it on a number of occasions without success. Also when I drag and drop JPG pics into the internal drive, the Herotab finds them no problems and displays them in the gallery area as you'd expect. If I repeat the same task on the card the device does not find them and at one point found them but displayed them as blank images.

Am I just doing something very wrong or do I need to install some kind of drivers on the card prior to inserting it in the device.

This is driving me crazy!! All help appreciated. I'm fairly new to Android tablets and have used Videora to convert my DVD's to MP4. Not sure if this makes any difference.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone.
I wonder if any of you have managed to connect a modem zte mf 190 to our dropad. I get the device with the light flashes green but continually get the message "conecting". My operator is Movistar and despite entering the correct APN does not work.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3 Posts
My touchscreen completely stopped responding after like 10hrs. I just received it and flash a Genesis rom and the screen never worked again.
Im looking for a solution or at least the stock ROM so i can return the unit. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3 Posts
Herotab C8, Android 2.3.1, Kernel 2.6.35.7, Build 20110607.160020

Is there any way to get gmail CONTACTS on my device without having to be connected to the internet? I've poured over forum posts and found one reference to such an issue but, being a newbie, I can't download the "native contacts" file offered as a solution to another poster. (Not that I'm sure this is the same issue, but sounds right.) In the Manage Applications setting, I see a "Contacts Storage", but can't find an actual program which will allow me to input and edit my contacts. Am I missing something? (I don't have phone capabilities, nor do I desire them, I just want a regular ol' address book. Gmail contacts will suffice.)

Also, any chance that someone can explain why various apps from the Market claim that they are not compatible with my device? Specifically, I wanted to install either of the Kindle or BN ereaders, as well as Pandora for Android. Upon reading the "requirements" at their associated internet sites, it seems that I SHOULD be able to download, install and run these programs. Again ... what am I missing?

Pardon my ignorance and thanks in advance for anything you can offer in the way of help.

Kat

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there!!!

Just installed tsunami 1.1

I saw somewhere that it was possible to make "folders" like Games/Utilities/Multimedia etc, and it was possible to add certain apps to that!!

It would save me searching through all apps and also keep good view on my wallpaper!!!

Hope someone knows what I mean and can get me started by giving advice!!!

Thnx in advance!!!

101 - 120 of 128 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.