Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Eken the company that designed the M001? I am looking at 2 models of the M001 and it appears that one is a fake. The model at a to z http://www.atozvarieties.com/Eken-7-in-Mini-iPad-Style-Android-Tablet-IPADYWYY.htm contains the company name on the product and the box. The one at Deal Extreme http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.39169 does not have the Eken name anywhere to be found on the product, box, or product description. Are these 2 different products???

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
same product , Eken makes unlabelled ones to be resold under a different name, most companies do this , its caller private labeling

·
Registered
75 Posts
[quote author=HandfullofPeter link=topic=343.msg2964#msg2964 date=1275083246]I have a question. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Eken the company that designed the M001?[/quote]It is believed that DX sells an OEM version.exactly the same as the other one, just without EKEN logo

·
Registered
157 Posts
just grab the cheaper one and tell us where u got it! if there's like a 5 way directional keys and other button on the upper right, its an Eken (well... that's the rule I follow). Eken's are pretty easy to spot using those conditions.Thou u gotta be careful with others. I've seen some Eken's cases with 2 USB ports below them. Idk wtf are those things.

·
Registered
100 Posts
[quote author=HandfullofPeter link=topic=343.msg2964#msg2964 date=1275083246]I have a question. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Eken the company that designed the M001? I am looking at 2 models of the M001 and it appears that one is a fake. The model at a to z http://www.atozvarieties.com/Eken-7-in-Mini-iPad-Style-Android-Tablet-IPADYWYY.htm contains the company name on the product and the box. The one at Deal Extreme http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.39169 does not have the Eken name anywhere to be found on the product, box, or product description. Are these 2 different products???[/quote]Eken is an OEM producer, meaning that primarily they produce products under different company names (example: the cheap APEX DVD players at WalMart - there is no "APEX" factory or company, they only ordered APEX branded players). Due to this Eken only uses their name within China - so the Eken branded units were intended for the domestic market vs. the unbranded were intended for export.

·
Registered
6 Posts
[quote author=skywise Eken is an OEM producer, meaning that primarily they produce products under different company names (example: the cheap APEX DVD players at WalMart - there is no "APEX" factory or company, they only ordered APEX branded players). Due to this Eken only uses their name within China - so the Eken branded units were intended for the domestic market vs. the unbranded were intended for export. [/quote]Apex DVD players doesn't only sell at Walmart. Years ago I purchase 5 disc and it was on of the best DVD player I ever own and I didn't buy it from Walmart. Also, Boscovs did sell the Apex rear projection SDTV a few years ago too.I think distributors can buy the product with the company name Eken on it or ask for their own name engrave on the product. I strongly believe the Original Eken M001 device is being clone by other companies in China because it's becoming popular and others want a piece of the pie. Am still awaiting my Eken branded M001 from A to Zvarieties.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Kadroid,I got mine from AtoZ as well. It took about 7 business days to get mine. He is a eBay Powerseller that just started a online store. He will not do you wrong.

·
Registered
100 Posts
To kinda bring up the topic of clones/fakes ... I do wonder because my unit has: - Good Wifi reception- Decent battery (up to 3 hrs with wifi and can sit in "standby" for longer)- Reasonable speed and response time with the latest "factory" firmware - Responsive touch screen (I can 4 finger type on that thing!) - Working G-Sensor (can play games and check the data with the tricorder app)Maybe my expectations were more realistic, since I bought this unit with the real specs in mind, but after reading some of the horror stories, it seems like some people purchased a different device then me. Mine has no Eken markings btw. Either Eken's QA is non-existent & I was lucky, or there may be clones out there. I got mine off eBay.

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
[quote author=skywise link=topic=343.msg4574#msg4574 date=1275549998]To kinda bring up the topic of clones/fakes ... I do wonder because my unit has: - Good Wifi reception- Decent battery (up to 3 hrs with wifi and can sit in "standby" for longer)- Reasonable speed and response time with the latest "factory" firmware - Responsive touch screen (I can 4 finger type on that thing!) - Working G-Sensor (can play games and check the data with the tricorder app)Maybe my expectations were more realistic, since I bought this unit with the real specs in mind, but after reading some of the horror stories, it seems like some people purchased a different device then me. Mine has no Eken markings btw. Either Eken's QA is non-existent & I was lucky, or there may be clones out there. I got mine off eBay. [/quote]What games did you test it with because mine only has varying degrees of 'left' on the two games that I've played.

·
Registered
6 Posts
[quote author=HandfullofPeter link=topic=343.msg4016#msg4016 date=1275424266]Hey Kadroid,I got mine from AtoZ as well. It took about 7 business days to get mine. He is a eBay Powerseller that just started a online store. He will not do you wrong.[/quote]Yes, A to Z is reputable seller from the interaction I had with him. The number listed on the receipt page from paypal is a legit number and it actually work. I'm still waiting for my M001, but I can honestly say, I'm not as worried as I was prior to me speaking to him on phone. You can also see that the price on the website has drop to $99 which is great. I'm so glad I purchase from A to Z.

·
Registered
100 Posts
[quote author=Mike link=topic=343.msg4941#msg4941 date=1275647181][quote author=skywise link=topic=343.msg4574#msg4574 date=1275549998][...]- Working G-Sensor (can play games and check the data with the tricorder app)[...][/quote]What games did you test it with because mine only has varying degrees of 'left' on the two games that I've played.[/quote]It was called labyrinth light and was one of the wood labyrinth / steel ball games. The Tricorder app does actually show the raw data from the g-sensor and it also confirmed that the unit was centered when laying flat and detected all motions. I was honestly impressed on how good it worked in the labyrinth game - very precise!If you check my other post, you'll notice that there seems to be at least to revisions of this unit (based on placement of the wifi module), which affects the wifi performance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[quote author=skywise link=topic=343.msg5152#msg5152 date=1275692199][quote author=Mike link=topic=343.msg4941#msg4941 date=1275647181][quote author=skywise link=topic=343.msg4574#msg4574 date=1275549998][...]- Working G-Sensor (can play games and check the data with the tricorder app)[...][/quote]What games did you test it with because mine only has varying degrees of 'left' on the two games that I've played.[/quote]It was called labyrinth light and was one of the wood labyrinth / steel ball games. The Tricorder app does actually show the raw data from the g-sensor and it also confirmed that the unit was centered when laying flat and detected all motions. I was honestly impressed on how good it worked in the labyrinth game - very precise!If you check my other post, you'll notice that there seems to be at least to revisions of this unit (based on placement of the wifi module), which affects the wifi performance. [/quote]I noticed that A to Z now has this iWeb aPad just added. Anyone own one of these? http://www.atozvarieties.com/7-iWeb-aPad-600MHz-Google-Android-Tablet-w-WiFi-Cam-39566.htm Thinking about giving the M001 to my brother and getting this for myself.

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
[quote author=skywise link=topic=343.msg5152#msg5152 date=1275692199][quote author=Mike link=topic=343.msg4941#msg4941 date=1275647181][quote author=skywise link=topic=343.msg4574#msg4574 date=1275549998][...]- Working G-Sensor (can play games and check the data with the tricorder app)[...][/quote]What games did you test it with because mine only has varying degrees of 'left' on the two games that I've played.[/quote]It was called labyrinth light and was one of the wood labyrinth / steel ball games. The Tricorder app does actually show the raw data from the g-sensor and it also confirmed that the unit was centered when laying flat and detected all motions. I was honestly impressed on how good it worked in the labyrinth game - very precise!If you check my other post, you'll notice that there seems to be at least to revisions of this unit (based on placement of the wifi module), which affects the wifi performance.[/quote]Mine is well and truly fucked up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The one I ordered from DX impressed me right out of the box.There is no branding on the unit, which I think is great as I am rebranding and selling them under my own name.WiFi was fine, even connected to a WPA network which I thought I readwas not possible. Speed was not lighting fast, but fast enough that I wasn't kept waiting.Battery is about 2-3 hours full browsing. 6 hours in standby.Screen is laggy, but usable. Typing was great, I had the device in portrait mode and dispite the device not keeping up on screen (I was thumbing very fast), all the "key strokes" were registered.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts