Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
I gave the build a try (without success). This is what I did until now. Someone here who can help me?

Extracted the Kernel source zip (downloaded from Github) into my local build home dir:

> cd /u03/Renesas-Kernel
> unzip cAPSLOCK7-EVBSP-Kernel-9f995d9.zip
> cd cAPSLOCK7-EVBSP-Kernel-9f995d9

Prepared environment variables:

> export CROSS_COMPILE=arm-eabi-
> export ARCH=arm

Generated the main .config file

> make defconfig emev_defconfig

I've found some emev*defconfig files which seem related to an EMMA EV Android build, though I'm not sure at all what is the correct configuration to be used here...
Then, I started the Kernel build, which almost immediately gives an error:

> make clean
> make
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.o', needed by `arch/arm/kernel/built-in.o'. Stop.
make: *** [arch/arm/kernel] Error 2

Note as I've successfully used this ARM cross-compilation tool chain before, for another 2.6.29 Kernel build (for a different tablet - a Wondermedia WM8505).
I've also tried using another toolchain (CodeSourcery) with similar results:

> export CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi-
> make clean
> make
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.o', needed by `arch/arm/kernel/built-in.o'. Stop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

I have managed to successfully build the tun.ko module.

Did mostly what you did except I extracted and copied from the device /proc/config.gz to. config. Then did a "make menuconfig" and a "make modules".

Did not try to build the entire kernel but maybe the above will help?

Regards,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,

I have managed to successfully build the tun.ko module.

Did mostly what you did except I extracted and copied from the device /proc/config.gz to. config. Then did a "make menuconfig" and a "make modules".

Did not try to build the entire kernel but maybe the above will help?

Regards,
Did you manage to get vpn working by chance then?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you manage to get vpn working by chance then?
Yes, I managed to get VPN going with VPNC. Get some drop-outs as advanced routing is not enabled in the kernel but works well enough for me to use.

Where and how can I post the tun.ko module?

(Trying to upload here but it does not seem to be working from my device. Does not work for me from IE or Chrome on Windows either.)

Regards,

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Indeed, I also managed to successfully compile the modules, using the config file taken from my device.
Thanks for the clue!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ justacoder - what did you change to make the tun.ko being compiled?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, got it. Edited the .config file to include tun.ko as module:

# CONFIG_TUN in not included

to

CONFIG_TUN=m

It get compiled, but my issue now is that 'uname' doesn't look like being present on the device, so I can't extract the value to set in the EXTRAVERSION in the Makefile...

Any idea?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok, got it. Edited the .config file to include tun.ko as module:

# CONFIG_TUN in not included

to

CONFIG_TUN=m

It get compiled, but my issue now is that 'uname' doesn't look like being present on the device, so I can't extract the value to set in the EXTRAVERSION in the Makefile...

Any idea?
My device (I think an M9 GPS) had the option already set for CONFIG_TUN.

Try doing a "strings" on one of the modules on the device to see what was set. Mine was just the defaults.

Regards,

·
Registered
353 Posts
My aim is to use the Cisco AnyConnect VPN on this tablet. So I compiled and moved tun.ko where the app expects it (tablet is rooted).
This allowed to install the Cisco app and connect to my company's VPN, but AnyConnect also requires iptables to work.
Looks like the OOB Rena is missing iptables...

I enabled the netfilter build in the .config, setting:

CONFIG_NETFILTER=y

and then setting all dependent parameters at their defaults (asked by 'make' at first run).
Unfortunately 'iptables' is not a driver, but a program and the Kernel fails to compile, as noted above:

CC arch/arm/kernel/elf.o

I'm not a Kernel expert at all... Do we actually need to compile it completely, to get the iptables?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Great work is going on here.

As regards iptables, I know that installing Droidwall and then enabling the firewall in the options automatically installs a fully functioning iptables as far as is possible without kernel compilation. It will also tell you if there is a kernel problem. If you have enabled netfilter - maybe it will now work. I have lost the links but there is a detailed explanation of this issue, that affects all global proxies etc. somewhere in either the droidwall issues list or on the droidwall thread at XDA.

There's also a pretty good thread on getting both openvpn and vpnc working here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=972550&page=2

I also have an English conversion/mod of a good Russian Rena 0827 mod that has iptables, busybox and a lib/modules where tun.ko could be dropped. I tried Droidwall and it still told me the kernel was not compiled for full iptables function - but I can upload if its likely to be any use.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I installed DroidWall and indeed it says

"/data/data/com.googlecode.droidwall.free/app_bin/iptables_armv5
iptables v1.4.10: can't initialize iptables table 'filter': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

Two thing from this message:

1) "iptables_armv5" while we're on armv7, as far as I know.
2) "do you need to insmod?" - insmod what?

I will check the links you suggested Paulxx. Thanks

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Trying insmod of tun.ko

insmod /data/local/kernel_modules/tun.ko

But I get the same error from DroidWall...

Explanation of error from http://org.pc-freak.net/papers/iptables-tutorial.html

"This is a bit more serious since it points out that we first of all do not have the functionality compiled into the kernel, and second, that the module is not possible to find in our normal module paths. This may either mean that you have forgotten to install your modules, you have forgotten to run depmod -a to update your module databases or you have not compiled the functionality as either module or statically into kernel. There may of course be other reasons for the module not to be loaded, but these are the main reasons. Most of these problems are easily solved. The first problem would simply be solved by running make modules_install in the kernel source directory (if the source has already been compiled and the modules have already been built). The second problem is solved by simply running depmod -a once and see if it works afterward. The third problem is a bit out of the league for this explanation, and you are more or less left to your own wits here."

This just confirms the iptables needs to be compiled in the kernel... and installed too (along with dependent modules)!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd keep this thread to analyze (solve?) the reason for the build error:

CC arch/arm/kernel/elf.o

The iptables issue can be moved somewhere else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
ip_tables.ko and tun.ko are two different kernel modules required.

Both can be built from the source by doing a "make menuconfig".

Select the options Networking Support wherever ip_tables is mentioned.

Then do a "make modules" to build these modules.

Regards,

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm afraid the assembly source code files (.S) have been removed from the arch/arm/kernel, arch/arm/lib and arch/arm/mach-emxx.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Are you telling me that the kernel source code of the Emma mobile EV2 of our rena3 is already available?

The last news i had is that the kernel souce available was for the EV1 and not for the EV2 of our rena's.

Once, an user claimed to have the kernel source for the EV2 but he didn't want to share it, so he was banned from the forum.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I did see quite a bit of Renesas stuff on google codesearch, just by searching for "Renesas", but they make a lot of other Android hardware stuff I'm fairly certain, because there were a lot of results. I keep seeing the word hengai pop up in certain places going through the Rena. I thought I may have found something just searching for random terms on github the other day, but ran out of time. I'm not really much of a developer, and not much of a Linux guru either. BTW, good to see this, I might be a Linux guru after hanging out here some more...

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I did see quite a bit of Renesas stuff on google codesearch, just by searching for "Renesas", but they make a lot of other Android hardware stuff I'm fairly certain, because there were a lot of results. I keep seeing the word hengai pop up in certain places going through the Rena. I thought I may have found something just searching for random terms on github the other day, but ran out of time. I'm not really much of a developer, and not much of a Linux guru either. BTW, good to see this, I might be a Linux guru after hanging out here some more...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts