Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of writing up a proper review for the Eken. Before I get too stick in, is there anything that anyone particularly wants me to cover?

·
Registered
157 Posts
headphones sound quality, multitasking with music player running, sd memory card insertion (like how the system reacts to a new sd card inserted)... And a quick browse at Engadgets homepage
!thats kinda much stuff, if you could pick just one (or all, if want/can) that'd be great!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'd like to see a review in particular of its use as a book reader. For instance, I haven't seen anyone comment on its type rendering. How good does it look? How about a close up shot of the type. How easy is it to jump to say page 233 of a book? Do you have to use the finger scrolling to turn pages or are there other ways? Can you save the place where you were (bookmark)? Can you add notes? Readability in sunlight? Brightness too much when reading in bed at night? Or is there a good adjustment range? Can you switch to white characters on black (or dark blue, etc) background?What about (in this case for my wife's interest) using it as a cookbook? Would it work well if you had a published cookbook loaded in it in the kitchen?What about students and textbooks? Can it download textbooks, and how many file formats can it currently render? How many book reader apps have people been able to load on it?I'd also like to see a review including file transfer. FTP? SSH, RSH available? Any smart and secure cross-platform file sync programs available (like Unison) for Linux and Win? Any chron functions for auto syncing and other fun and games?What about development software and languages -- any of these available?I think there are a lot of reviews and unboxing videos already out there which demonstrate the general look and usage, as well as a glimpse at several included apps. But I've never seen a review with these kinds of things covered.EDIT: Still thinking of other questions ....For engineering use, is there a .dxf viewer available? I definitely plan to use it for experimentation. The .pdf and .xls capabilities of Docs-to-Go will help greatly there in storing conversion tables and utilities, reference material, etc. But .dxf would be a great additional help.How successful have people been in attaching a portable USB hard drive? CD/DVD Writer?(If not, my guess is that the 5V out on the USB port can't provide much current. There are some split cables which allow you to add the 5V externally to power these devices while connected -- maybe that's the answer?)What about the SD card? How about some program timings and general reactions to using say a Class1, Class3, and Class 6 card? Is there an improvement?What about physical quality ? Does it feel solid enough? How easily does the face scratch? Some have said that the charger plug is loose or connects with intermittent power -- true? What about heat -- does it heat up alot while running, or charging?Video quality seems to be reported as quite variable. Some people say it's fine, some say they get audio only and first frame frozen, and some say it plays but it's jumpy. Which is it?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Any emulators or virtual machine apps available? Wine?And what about the reverse -- Android emulators or VMs for the desktop in, say Linux, so you can run the same apps?Any VNC clients (like TightVNC)?Can you connect a keyboard and/or mouse? Demo that?On low battery, does it power down gracefully? Any warnings?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i would love to hear about were to go to get firmware for m001 an other models i resently did a factory reset an lost everything. and no online support. instead they want me to send it back to china which 12day to an from. if you know any links to support you should include this i your review.

·
Registered
63 Posts
killidriod;7676 said:
i would love to hear about were to go to get firmware for m001 an other models i resently did a factory reset an lost everything. and no online support. instead they want me to send it back to china which 12day to an from. if you know any links to support you should include this i your review.
EKEN firmware update....http://www.slatedroid.com/vbulletin/kernel-rom-development/32-original-update-eken-m001.htmlRecommended custom firmware....http://www.slatedroid.com/vbulletin...pdated-28-5-10-tested-working-1-7-2-base.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.