Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all just got my M003 sat.... looks great.. a little slow but not bad.. definately useable.... However.... I can not connect to any WIFI source... It scans sees the networks but will not get an IP address..... Open netowrks, wep networks or WPA all the same... Any ideas? It has android 1.6 I want to upgrade... what is the path and the howto on doing so? ThanksWilliam

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPDATE..... I upgraded to the combo slatedroid /dex combo... everything seems to be working now.... WIFI and all.... but I have ghost icons on the desk top where some apps were... but they are no longer on teh tablet... (default ones skype beta etc.... where can I get these to replace them? ireader etc.....)ThanksWilliam

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got my M003, and also found poor WiFi range.Once connected, and close to the router, data rates were OK, it just seemed to be a range issue.I decided to open the unit to see what it had for an antenna. The answer is not much.My board is different than what is shown in this thread:http://www.slatedroid.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?308-M003-PCB-pics!I have board version 5, and will try to post picts in that thread later, but it has the same USB WiFi.The WiFi is the separate board above the batteries in the V_2 board picture. It's basically a USB WiFi stick, with the connector removed, and wires soldered in place.Mine has long wires, as in the picture of the V2 board, but in my machine, the connector is much closer to where the WiFi Board is. The wires were looped right over the board, very close to the antenna. The antenna is the bare copper paths in the non solder masked (not green) part of the WiFi Stick board.I did the following:1. Open the Unit (your own risk)2. Coil/Fold the wires away from the antenna area.3. I turned the WiFi board upside down. This moved the antenna paths farther from the metal box around the screen.4. Move or Remove any labels that are touching/near the antenna. It's possible they have a metallic substance in them.5. Make sure the WiFi stick cannot short against the metal or other boards.6. Reassemble.I got 1 more bar signal in most areas, and it will now connect in places it wouldn't before.Actually adding a better antenna may also help (perhaps one from a laptop or other device). There's plenty of room in there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
linuxslate;9694]I just got my M003 said:
http://www.slatedroid.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?308-M003-PCB-pics[/url]!I have board version 5, and will try to post picts in that thread later, but it has the same USB WiFi.The WiFi is the separate board above the batteries in the V_2 board picture. It's basically a USB WiFi stick, with the connector removed, and wires soldered in place.Mine has long wires, as in the picture of the V2 board, but in my machine, the connector is much closer to where the WiFi Board is. The wires were looped right over the board, very close to the antenna. The antenna is the bare copper paths in the non solder masked (not green) part of the WiFi Stick board.I did the following:1. Open the Unit (your own risk)2. Coil/Fold the wires away from the antenna area.3. I turned the WiFi board upside down. This moved the antenna paths farther from the metal box around the screen.4. Move or Remove any labels that are touching/near the antenna. It's possible they have a metallic substance in them.5. Make sure the WiFi stick cannot short against the metal or other boards.6. Reassemble.I got 1 more bar signal in most areas, and it will now connect in places it wouldn't before.Actually adding a better antenna may also help (perhaps one from a laptop or other device). There's plenty of room in there.
Great...... I was thinking the same.. I have not opened mine yet... actually considering sending it back.... Can you please post pics... was/is there a place for an antenna connection?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok got my M003 this week and was quite disappointed with the wifi reception. Out of the ox you had to be right next to the access point to get any decent reception. I opened up the unit and found I also had a version 5 PCB. I followed linuxslate's instructions and found a pretty drastic improvement in the wifi reception. Still not exactly where I'd like to see the recption strength but makes the unit much less like a brick now. It would be nice if the USB wifi board could be replaced with a better performing unit. Many thanks for the suggestion on the mods noted above!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.