Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, have just bought an m001, and have read many posts about firmware, creating swop files on the sd card to speed it up etc (how do you do that!?) and im thinking it would be really handy if there was some sort of "so you have an m001, now what" type post.Meaning, what's the best firmware to use currently, how you backup the std installation (if you even need to), how you install, how to create a swop file just to get yourself to a nice build with the minimum of fuss. There is lots of useful posts on here but spread over a large quantity and it feels a bit like looking for truffles :)So what are other owners suggestions to go from an out the box m001, to a decent workable tablet?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hmm...Subject to change:Install Relax via small size SD card (256 M, tho I have used 2G card successfully)Create 100M Swap Partition on SD Card that is at least class 6 (I use 4 G card and format Fat32)Create folder called Music in root and start with about 500M of songsSet up a GMAIL accountInstall Kindle Reader and Aldiko for ebooksInstall CadreBible for offline bible or YouVersion for online bibleInstall Fring and/or Skype for IM/VOIP stuffDownload WikiDroyd and an offline copy of the top 10% viewed of WikipediaFor General install Better Terminal/Better Keyboard/ES File Manager/Backup/Weather Bug/Lookout/Open Advanced Task Killer/All-in-1-Calc/Docs to Go/any Google appFor Fun install IMDb/Backgrounds/Vintage Comic Reader/Amazon/eBay/Facebook/Time Mobile/Fox News/USA Today/word based games/card based gamesI like Opera, but also use the built in Browser.I like the ADW HomeInstall widgets to toggle wi-fi/sound/brightness/etc...Install the Time/Weather WidgetEnjoy

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've only been using my m001 for about a week now, but there's definitely a lot to learn to get it to work optimally. Not too much of it requires any understanding of programming or computers, too; with some searching around the site, there's lots of tid-bits of info that will help optimize the m001. Here's some things I've learned:The firmware the Eken comes out with is quite slow and bloated. They've released 2 upgrades to it, from 1.6 to 1.7.4 to 1.9.1 (I may be wrong about this?). These upgrades offer a lot of jumps in performance, so even if you choose to stick with the official Eken firmware, you should upgrade. However, I feel that the custom firmware upgrades offer better performance and tweaking to suit the user better.I've used 3 different firmwares: Ecotox v1.1.1, Ecotox v.1.3.1, and Relax v1.9.6. I feel that Relax is best; the app market works straight away, the touch screen is very responsive, and on the whole its quite fast. However, many people have their own they like to use (Ecotox, Vestinious, Relax, SlateDroid, etc), and if you feel adventurous, go and try the ones that look appealing to you!I don't think there's any reason to back up the standard installation; you can find the update scripts (the way you do firmware upgrades) for the original Eken firmware in case you ever want to go back (though, I don't think you'll ever need to). The way you install is simple. Download the firmware file from wherever you can find it; it'll probably be in .zip or .rar format. Use the program 7-zip to unpackage it (most other programs will ruin the integrity of the files, so make sure you use 7zip if you're on Windows/Mac). On Unix/Linux, the native unpackager should work fine (at least, it did for me). Within the unpackaged file, you'll find a folder labeled 'scripts'. Copy the entire folder into the root directory of the SD card that will be loaded into the Eken m001 (root directory refers to the base of the SD card, ie not inside any sub-directories). Insert the SD card into the device and restart it; the m001 will automatically identify the scripts directory and begin installation. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE DEVICE PLUGGED INTO WALL POWER. This cannot be stressed enough. If the device dies in the middle of the installation, it might be bricked and ruined. Eventually, it'll say something like "Remove the SD card and reboot"; just pop out the SD card and the device will turn off/restart. Upon powering on, the device should have the new firmware. To make use of a swap partition, it involves altering the SD card partitions. Here's a great explanation on how to set it up:http://ecotoxrom.wikispaces.com/How+do+I+active+swap?(Courtesy of Ecotox)And from there, you should have a fast running m001! There are lots of customizations you can do after this, but these are the bare necessities to get a fast working tablet. Hope you enjoy the new tablet!Msaifee

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.