Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please can anyone help, as I have only had my eken M001 a few days, and the Browser & Email App,keep closing of their own accord, and only stay open for a minute or two at best before closing without any advance warning (ie crashes out).Do you find your browsers to be stable ?Could it just be that I have a rogue tablet ?Please tell me your first impressions, or discuss experiences as long time users, I would really appreciate any form of help.btw....I'm in the UK, and bought this for ?60, from a UK seller on ebay.Kind Thanks in AdvanceSam

·
Firmware Dev
2,739 Posts
Ive never had any problems at all with the browser or email.What FW are you running ?, maybe your on an older offical release and so could update to a newer release or a custom ROM.And BTW, welcome to Slatedroid your find very helpful and friendly advice here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Roger,Thank you very kindly for replying to my message.On boot up, the screen says :Android version : 1.6kernel version : 2.6.29WMT SDK version : 1.9I hope this is the right info. I really appreciate any help you can give me with this one, Roger.To be honest, I was about to contact the ebay seller and ask to return, but will appreciate any ideas you have as to the firmware...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Roger,Yes 1.9.0 came installed on it.To be honest it said that it was supposed to be new, but it came with somebody elses wifi settings installed on it, and I strongly feel it was a returned item that the ebay seller, just palmed off onto me.I'm in a bit of a classic catch-22 here, as I dont want to brick the device, and not be able to return it.Thus far i've used it for ebooks, but managed to set it up for email.Its just frustrating that the browser and email keep intermitterntly crashing.I managed to download the dolphin browser as well, but this has exactly the same problem as the stock browser that came with the device.Is 1.9 new or old firmware ? I somehow get the feeling this slate has been is somebody elses's hands first (and is not new), came in a black Apad box which is another giveaway. I've heard these devices are known for their problems, but apart from the crashing issues, and the lowish battery life (which I could live with), I really like the little chappy.....but if it doesn't work out of the box, maybe I should return it.........what do you think ?Thanks again Roger for any help you can give....

·
Firmware Dev
2,739 Posts
SDK 1.9.0 was only put up on the Eken's server 0n the 8/10/2010 and so is a very new firmware.As it is the offical 1.9.0 has had some problems and its still not sure if its been actually released to the public, at best its a development firmware.Ive made changes to it to fix some of the problems its had and expand on other things that was needed.The choice is of course yours to make as to sending it back or changing the firmware, it all depends on how confident you feel in doing so.As it came in an apad box does lend credit to it being preowned and as its got 1.9.0 on it backs that up for sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Roger,you're a Star, really appreciate the help. I think my best bet is to go back to the seller, and talk to them.If I did get another one off him, and it has 1.9 installed, I guess I am going to have the same issues anyway.Though reading between the lines, (and checking a few other posts), it seems that the same firmware can haveradically different effects on the different m001 slates, which is confusing.Might see if I can go meet seller, if he allows it. He is based in London, and I'm not far off the N.londonborder.Think, I am hooked on the little device though, so will be seeking a replacement, though maybe not from currentseller. Pity its so buggy....because they are captivating little devils.Very impressed with this forum btw....its mind-blowing...esp the 'pimp-my-ride' section.I wouldn't be surprised if one of you guys is actually moving around satellites in the atmosphere from their little slate ;)Too Clever By Half But Grateful For It.Thanks Again Roger.

·
Firmware Dev
2,739 Posts
Yeah sending it back sounds the best bet, if you are still looking to buy from ebay I can highly recomend a UK based seller.A new M001 should be installed with either 1.7.2 or now 1.7.4.

·
Registered
247 Posts
samextra: No problems here. Maybe if you load up a new firmware it will refresh the system on your device. Also possible you have bad RAM in the device....and it bmbs out when it touches the corrupted location in memory. You can test for that by loading up OTHER apps and seeing if the device also bombs....because if it is bad RAM it will kill whatever touches the bad address range. If that proves to be stable, then that's actually good news. It may just mean you need to refresh the firmware. I'm assuming you are using English as the language on the device? Put ECOTOX v1.3.1 on it. A double win.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Linuxluver, I think you could be right about the bad ram. I tried a software reset, after speaking to the seller, and tried a reload of 1.7.4, and 1.9.o original firmware. I also tried Roger's latest version Vestinious, all to no avail. I did try Ecotox, that almost nuked my device.....on power up, it burst into rfactals of colour, and then did nothing....not a good sign, so went back.Same problem, on a Browser, Email, & Docs 2 GO's PDF Reader......the device crashes randomly in use, after 5 mins, sometimes less, and it also hangs randomly mid app......where the whole tablet becomes completely frozen, and unresponsive. Anyway its going back today. Going to ask for another....and keep my fingers crossed.....I take it that once you have your tablet on stable firmware......the browser, does not randomly crash....I mean its not a known malfunction or bug that people live with ? Apologies I know that sounds mad....

·
Registered
100 Posts
[quote name='samextra;38632]To be honest it said that it was supposed to be new' date=' but it came with somebody elses wifi settings installed on it, and I strongly feel it was a returned item that the ebay seller, just palmed off onto me.[/QUOTE']If you're talking about the Dlink setting under Wifi, that is a default setting and does not indicate a previous owner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello All,Apologies for being a bit tardy....heres an Update (Uplink...please take note).In the end, thanks to all the help I got, I ended up sending the slate back (it was bought off Ebay).I got a replacement slate this morning, and it arrived with Firmware 1.7.4, and as far as I can tell, it has none of the crashing problems, browser seems stable, as does email, and though not extensively tested yet, it seems good. If there is a niggle its difficult to scroll through bookmark lists without clicking accidentally, but I put this down to the firware....as I have read about other people having the same issue (even after calibrating)....but I am really being pretty I think.The bottom line is that the 'original' was a faulty slate. As stated above, I reset the Eken and re-installed both 1.7.4, 1.9.0, both original versions, and also Roger's Vestinious version, and Ecotox.....all to no avail....the problem remained, and it kept crashing in various apps. Linuxlover, felt it may have Bad RAM, and I think he was probably right. Uplink....my advice would be to send it back....describing the problems that you are having, and 'IF' you feel you can trust the vendor, (I did after he phoned me, and we talked it through....then Request a new one.Hope it helps, and thanks again Roger, and everyone else for all the kind help. You Guys Rock !

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.