Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Wanted to break this one out, as this has its own headaches. Some of what I know, so far:- Eclair SDK 7 is based off of Linux kernel 2.6.29 (which is the kernel the PDN currently has). - Froyo SDK 8 is based off of Linux kernel 2.6.32.

I assume that both would need kernel sources specific to the S3C6410 chipset. I have found one site here that offers that: JetKernel - jetdroid - Details about the J�kernel development - Project Hosting on Google Code

My biggest issue at the moment is how we could even take a compiled zImage and alter it so that the recovery process can accept it? So far, I've tried to use mkImage to convert one to a uImage, but that did not work. Any other suggestions, at this point? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gotcha. I'll have to do some checking, as well. I don't think it would brick the device, but i suppose someone has to test it. :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I've read elsewhere you can fix a bad kernel flash in recovery, so....I would hope so.

My understanding (which could quite likely be wrong) is that it goesbootloader->check for button, if button press, go to recoveryotherwise, go to kernel,ramdisk,then system and dataSo you can hose your install, or hose your recovery, and recover (reflash system/reflash recovery, respectively), but if you hose both you're screwed.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
So far, failures. I have this in my updater-script:

ui_print("1. extract flash_image");package_extract_file("flash_image", "/tmp/flash_image");set_perm(0, 0, 0755, "/tmp/flash_image");
ui_print("3. flash kernel");package_extract_file("zImage", "/tmp/zImage");run_program("/tmp/flash_image", "kernel", "/tmp/zImage");delete("/tmp/zImage");delete("/tmp/flash_image");

I also substitued "kernel" with "boot", but it didn't run. Log says:
about to run program [/tmp/flash_image] with 3 argsrun_program: execv failed: No such file or directoryrun_program: child exited with status 1
and the flash_image I grabbed from the PDN itself, under /system/bin. Both files were on the root of the zip I created. I'm wondering if the syntax is wrong, or if this setup won't run at all. If anyone happens to know, please chime in - I'm willing to test this out on my dev PDN so we can figure out how to do this.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
You can try it in the regular adb with the system booted as well. Like I've flashed my logo file from there flash_image kernel zImage just to remove other variables from the equation....it's possible that flash_image has some dependency that is satisfied in the full boot environment but not in recovery.

If all else fails, I'm sure we can remake the header, it would be nice to just eliminate the need to...

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I tried that already, as well. No errors, and runs for 4-5 seconds - but no changes. :-(

Btw, I'm OK with re-making the header if you or anyone else knows the steps. At least it would be a way to test new kernels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.