Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am relatively new to this forum and Android as well so please forgive me if this answer is provided elsewhere. I did check around and didn't find a definitive answer so I thought I would create my first thread (please be gentle)...I have an apad which is working great and I recently ordered an A81-E, which I am waiting to receive. Now, from what I understood, these devices were supposed to be capable of dual booting into either Android or WinCE, which I personally think is genius. Unfortunately, this functionality doesn't work at this time. I also have noticed that new roms are released on a regular basis by the manufacturer which seem to be helpful.So my question(s) are:1) Does anyone know if this is in development by the manufacturer?2) I was on Wirelession website who also seem to be behind developing the SmartQ V7 (on their website they call it the W1050 MID) which is capable of booting into 3 OSes, yes 3 OSes (Linux/Win CE/Android). Why can't they do something similar for the A81-E?Wirelession Electronics Ltd.3) If they don't plan on making this option available, if someone with the right skill-set had access to the firmware (not sure if firmware is the correct word) on that device, would it be possible to modify it to make dual booting possible on the A81-E?4) Is it even possible to get the firmware from the manufacturer to modify?5) Am I making any sense? :confused:Thanks for looking and for your kind responses.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well not quite the answer I was looking for but thanks for responding. I'm still gonna keep my fingers crossed I guess. The reasons I'm keeping my dream alive is because of a few things I found on the internet...1) On merimobiles site in the product listing for the A81-E...***The Witstech Company is set to release an upgrade on the firmware for the device to be able to dual boot the android 2.2 and Wince at the same time. The software upgrade for dual booting operation is to be done by the end user*** The firmware update for the dual booting information is set to be released by the end of the month, we will post a link on this page to where and how to upgrade the firmware for dual booting feature***Does anyone know if this is old info or could they mean the end of this month (September)?2) These websites, How to Dual Boot Windows Mobile and Android and [APP][25MAR10]Gen.Y DualBOOT v1.0.6.0[W|Q|VGA][CAB|EXT] - xda-developers seem to have a tool that allows for dual booting between a Windows and Android OS. Could such a tool be used by the community for dual booting development beyond the developers?

·
Registered
68 Posts
2) These websites, How to Dual Boot Windows Mobile and Android and [APP][25MAR10]Gen.Y DualBOOT v1.0.6.0[W|Q|VGA][CAB|EXT] - xda-developers seem to have a tool that allows for dual booting between a Windows and Android OS. Could such a tool be used by the community for dual booting development beyond the developers?
I don't think this program will help because it's wm/android, not wincee/android dualboot.I have another thought, I have tools for Meizu M8 dualboot Wince/Android so maybe it's possible to create dualboot for a81e on it's base...

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
[quote name='anthill;54180]Well not quite the answer I was looking for but thanks for responding. I'm still gonna keep my fingers crossed I guess. The reasons I'm keeping my dream alive is because of a few things I found on the internet...1) On merimobiles site in the product listing for the A81-E...[I]***The Witstech Company is set to release an upgrade on the firmware for the device to be able to dual boot the android 2.2 and Wince at the same time. The software upgrade for dual booting operation is to be done by the end user*** The firmware update for the dual booting information is set to be released by the end of the month' date=' we will post a link on this page to where and how to upgrade the firmware for dual booting feature***[/I']Does anyone know if this is old info or could they mean the end of this month (September)?Thats been up there for months. when i first got the W1060 (aka A81E) in July i was told the same thing, it appears to be something that is much talked about but not often occuring. It may be able to be done, i have SmartQV5 that has 3 o/s on it (wince, android 2.1 and modified linux)

·
Registered
78 Posts
[quote name='mingnon;54353]Thats been up there for months. when i first got the W1060 (aka A81E) in July i was told the same thing' date=' it appears to be something that is much talked about but not often occuring. It may be able to be done, i have SmartQV5 that has 3 o/s on it (wince, android 2.1 and modified linux)[/QUOTE'] Well that is very depressing :(I think I'm gonna start bugging the developers of that dual boot software for wm/android and see if they can make a wince version. If it worked that would be awesome. I wish I knew more and could cook sumthin up myself.As much as I LOVE Android, the dual boot option is what really sold me on this tablet and I'm dying for it to have that functionality.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I'm new in this forum.
I have ordered a Wits A81E yesterday.

And now i saw the idea of the dual boot option.
My mobilephone is a HD2 also with dual boot.
So it would be nice, to have this feature on the Wits also.

Can someone pleas tell me how it works?

THX
Markus

·
Registered
253 Posts
Nope, there is no currently available software to enable the dual boot you desire. If you find it, be sure to post the info here!

The earlier posts here are right - you can have one or the other but not both.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dont see how this would work anyway. Where is this second OS going to go? There seems to be no room left? If there is room left why cant we use that room  for android?.. The device is supposed to have a 2gb NAND memory.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[quote author=Mnky link=topic=6699.msg101924#msg101924 date=1292320240]
Dont see how this would work anyway. Where is this second OS going to go? There seems to be no room left? If there is room left why cant we use that room for android?.. The device is supposed to have a 2gb NAND memory.
[/quote]

The second OS was supposed to run off the SD card. In theory anyways.

Sent from my a81e using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Actually thought its 2GBYTES.. . Inthe future i doubt the meaning of a gb shorthand. Stupid stuff... cuz there is no serious definition of the meaning.p

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well, actually, there is a convention. If it is a capital B it means bytes and a lower case b means bits. But many people don't follow this convention!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts